Uchinaaguchi (Okinawan) Lessons

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
księżycowy
Re: Uchinaaguchi (Okinawan) Lessons

Postby księżycowy » 2010-06-29, 14:39

I was wondering if anyone feels up to translating the following lessons found here?

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2010-06-30, 4:50

księżycowy wrote:I was wondering if anyone feels up to translating the following lessons found here?

It's a published book (and thus copyright-protected).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-06-30, 14:09

Karavinka wrote:It's a published book (and thus copyright-protected).

Ah, I see. Well hopefully my Japanese studies will go well so I can eventually translate it for myself. Thanks though.

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2010-06-30, 14:46

księżycowy wrote:
Karavinka wrote:It's a published book (and thus copyright-protected).

Ah, I see. Well hopefully my Japanese studies will go well so I can eventually translate it for myself. Thanks though.

A problem with learning Okinawan is that there is (apparently) no standard orthography. The above book introduces a few new kanas to transcribe the sounds of Okinawan, and those new kanas are not official nor unicode-compatible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawan_writing_system

It is the "New Okinawan" system that the book uses. Mark this before getting into the book, but I'd recommend that you learn Japanese thoroughly first; you can't learn neither Okinawan nor Ainu without learning Japanese. It's probably a good idea as well to remember that Japanese books are often costly (even in Japan) and it's even more costly to ship it to North America.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-06-30, 17:01

Karavinka wrote:A problem with learning Okinawan is that there is (apparently) no standard orthography. The above book introduces a few new kanas to transcribe the sounds of Okinawan, and those new kanas are not official nor unicode-compatible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawan_writing_system

It is the "New Okinawan" system that the book uses. Mark this before getting into the book, but I'd recommend that you learn Japanese thoroughly first; you can't learn neither Okinawan nor Ainu without learning Japanese. It's probably a good idea as well to remember that Japanese books are often costly (even in Japan) and it's even more costly to ship it to North America.

Interesting link, thanks.
And believe me, I know how costly things from Japan are!
Anyway, I'm mainly focusing on Japanese for now, though I probably will use the Ainu lessons that you translated to start learning a little Ainu. Thanks for all the help again!

Return to “Other Languages”