Belarusian (Беларуская)

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
RCA

Postby RCA » 2008-03-21, 17:25

So, before studying the language, one should choose the political regime? :D Well, my only book leaves me no chance of staying out of the Belarusian politics making me a new happy recruit of the Opposition. :D Thanks for the detailed explanation, I think it’s quite possible to master both orthographies by learning just one of them and keeping in mind the differences you’ve cited above.
'A vita è 'n'affacciata 'e fenesta.

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2008-03-22, 5:31

a lot of these remind me of the differences between the older ukrainian orthography (still used in canada) and the present one:

кляс > клас
европа > європа
шоколяд > шоколад
катедра > кафедра

etc, the letter ґ was also abolished (afaik just like in belarusian)

also interesting that "old" belarusian wikipedia uses вольная instead of свабодная

well...i can't say i'm eager to take on another slavic language when i'm already having enough problems with two of them, but i'll be following along...

RCA

Postby RCA » 2008-03-25, 17:36

zhiguli wrote: a lot of these remind me of the differences between the older ukrainian orthography (still used in canada) and the present one...

Ukrainians have been living in Canada since the XIX century, so they preserve the language their ancestors used to speak before the emigration. Surprisingly, I’ve found that it reminds a lot of the language used in the Soviet Ukraine of the 1920’s (even though the emigrants came mostly from the Western part of the country, which became Soviet much later). Anyway, it’s out of use now, except maybe for some TV news programs.
zhiguli wrote: ...also interesting that "old" belarusian wikipedia uses вольная instead of свабодная...

My dictionary says it’s Ok with both words.
'A vita è 'n'affacciata 'e fenesta.

Tomii515

Postby Tomii515 » 2008-06-14, 14:40

Hey everyone~

Uhm, yeah wow. I was trying to start learn Belarusian, and i wanted ot know if there are any good websites that help teach it. But what im really looking for i s as book, and i cant find any o_O

but yeah. if not books, are there any good websites that teach phrases, grammer, stuff liek that? even some needeed things like telling time?

thanks a lot!!
[flag=]en-us[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2008-06-14, 15:44

Tomii515

Postby Tomii515 » 2008-06-15, 21:39

Дзякуй!

Hey, i've talked to before on the chat, and since you said not enough people wanted to learn it and you didn't wanna make lessons, do you think you could do a mini-lesson type thing? Just like "hello" and "my name is..." and "I'm () years old." like that. Cause on the greetings that it doesn't teach you "my name is" or "im blah blah years old" and things like that. :?

Also, i have a question about a word:

дажджамі

What does it mean?

Is it the plural-intrumental of дождж, which means 'rain', right?

If so, would it be translated as like "(with) the rains" ? xD i dont know

---

argg!!! this is soo frustrating T-T
Why is it so hard to find anything on this language? i mean i can't even find a decent dictionary online. they either suck horribly or dont work @.@ ugh
[flag=]en-us[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2008-06-25, 4:10

Sorry I was away for some time. Hope you're not discouraged yet.

For basic phrases you can download this phrasebook: http://www.pravapis.org/lphrase2001.pdf
(You could use this page http://www.belarus-misc.org/bel-mova.htm for other links).

Дажджамі is indeed plural instrumental of дождж, so your translation is correct. :waytogo:
Isn't it the song by BN that you're translating?

Дажджамі асветліцца вакол абшар

A good English-Belarusian dictionary is indeed hard to find online (for Russian-Belarusian there are more options though). The only decent one I know of requires installation of ABBY Lingvo software. Here's a link to it: http://www.lingvo.com/products/?id=135624 (you can PM me for the license and the actual dictionary).

For Belarusian-English, I know no good options (other than using the one I've mentioned in the opposite direction, which is facilitated by the software).

Tomii515

Postby Tomii515 » 2008-06-25, 18:46

Вялікі дзякуй!

Yes thats the song ^^
I wasn't trying to translate it, only the name of the song :)
lol

Thanks for all those links ^^

I have another question, if you would know...

My grandfather sent me a like document i guess you could say from my great grandfather who was from white russia (which is present day belrus, isn't it?). In 1914, which was the dates that were written on there, which country owned it? The document is in mostly Polish , but it's also in Russian. At that time did Poland take 'white russia' over? or was it russia? was white russia only belarus, or is it parts of other countries too?

Anyways, im trying to figure out what my original last name is. On the document, with the polish letters, it looks like "Kirpiesnikow" but with the russian it looks like "Кирпичниковь". But I'm not really sure, since it's handwritten and hard to read, at least for me. Anyways, do any of the two names sound like a commen name or anythingg? I was just wondering if you would know ^_^

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2008-06-25, 23:22

Belarus was never a country on its own except a short period in 1918 and until recently. It was a part of, in chronological order, Kievan Rus', Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Russian Empire, USSR. In 1914 it was a part of the Russian Empire.

The name Belarus is translated as White Rus' or White Russia (белы means white).

As for your surname, those ending in -ов (-оў, -аў in Belarusian spelling) are not most typical here (15-20% maybe?) and generally considered to be of Russian origin. Original Belarusian surnames are known to end in:
-іч, -віч - for noble families
-онак, -ёнак, -чык, -ік, -ык, -ук, -юк - son of
-еня, -эня
-цкі, -скі
and miscellaneous coming from names of animals, trees, household objects etc.

Кирпичников sounds Russian (Belarusian has a different word for кирпич).
Kirpiesnikow - sounds to me a bit like the Belarusian words 'кірпаты', 'кірпаносы' - turned-up (nose), but I can't say more.

link08

Postby link08 » 2008-07-08, 21:43

Hi everyone,

Since there are relatively few Belarusian learning materials available in English right now, would it make sense to consider another Slavic language first? For instance, would studying Russian or Polish first make learning Belarusian easier?

Thanks!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2008-07-09, 8:18

My opinion is that it's an absolute must to learn at least some Russian first, because:

-there are many more materials for Belarusian available in Russian

- if you come to this country, you'll find that most people speak Russian in the cities, so Belarusian alone would be impractical

- Russian and Belarusian grammar are very close, and they also share a large common vocabulary

Sincerely, I don't see a reason why learning Belarusian alone. It's probably like learning Gaelic without knowing any English, from the viewpoint of practicality (except for these two languages are not related). Or like learning Catalan without any Spanish.

But if you're just going to learn some basics for fun then these arguments are irrelevant.
Last edited by voron on 2008-07-09, 8:21, edited 1 time in total.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2008-07-09, 8:20

If you wonder to what extent the vocabulary is similar between Belarusian and Russian, just give me some test phrases to translate into both and you'll see.

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2008-07-09, 19:08

Well, I can give you a few sample words:

40 (forty)
dog
cat
grandmother
(I) thank you
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2008-07-10, 16:59

Mulder-21 wrote:40 (forty)
dog
cat
grandmother
(I) thank you

Ok here you are:

English - Russian - Belarusian

40 - сорок - сорак
dog - собака (feminine gender) - сабака (masculine gender)
cat - кошка - кошка
grandmother - бабушка - бабуля
thank you - спасибо - дзякуй

So,
'40' and 'cat' are the same, up to spelling
'dog' is the same up to spelling and gender
'grandmother' is different in a suffix
'thank you' in Belarusian is a loan word from Polish which is, in turn, is a loan from German 'danke'

riwnodennyk

Re: Belarusian (Беларуская)

Postby riwnodennyk » 2009-06-01, 19:23

Пане voron, цікава будзе пачуці пра сацыялінґвістычную сытуацыю на Беларусі, уласна стаўленьне менчанаў да роднай мовы. У якім накірунку ідзе развіцьцё мовы: занепадае альбо ўжо замацавалася пэўная стабільнасьць?
Native [flag=]uk[/flag], OK [flag=]be.Tara[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag], Some [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag], Beginner [flag=]tr[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag], Kudos to [flag=]crh[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag]

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2009-06-04, 15:01

Вітаю, riwnodennyk!

Ты, напэўна, сачыш за падзеямі ў Беларусі і чытаеш беларускія навіны і форумы, калі так добра размаўляеш па-беларуску. Ці не мог бы ты спачатку расказаць, як выглядае сітуацыя на твае вочы?

На гэтым форуме больш ужывальнае звяртанне на "ты", таму давай без паноў, згода?

менчанаў м(е/і)нчукоў

riwnodennyk

Postby riwnodennyk » 2009-06-04, 20:18

voron wrote:Вітаю, riwnodennyk!

Ты, напэўна, сачыш за падзеямі ў Беларусі і чытаеш беларускія навіны і форумы, калі так добра размаўляеш па-беларуску. Ці не мог бы ты спачатку расказаць, як выглядае сітуацыя на твае вочы?

На гэтым форуме больш ужывальнае звяртанне на "ты", таму давай без паноў, згода?

менчанаў м(е/і)нчукоў

Мушу сказаць, што цяпер якраз амаль ня сачу за падзеямі на Беларусі ды й ніколі ня быў на вашай зямлі, таму й пытаюся ;) Гэта калісьці захапляўся беларускай музыкай, адтуль і ўсе, якія ё, веды па мове :whistle: Мяне, як жыхару Ўкраіны, заўсёды напрошвалася параўнаньне сытуацыі ў нашых суседзкіх краінах з на дзіва падобнымі мовамі ды на дзіва, як мяне здаецца, рознымі сьветаглядамі і псыхалёґіямі. Наколькі чуў, на пачатку дзевяностых адраджэньне мовы йшло на ўзровень хутчэй, чым на Ўкраіне. Але недзе год назад глядзеў Беларусь ТВ ды ня ўбачыў амаль ніводнай беларусамоўнай праграмы, акрамя аднаго сюжэту ў навінах ды савецкага фільму пра вайну а трэцей ночы :D (ці правільна ўжыць тут прыназоўнік „а”?). А наогул выглядае так, што на Ўкраіне стала ідзе барацьба паміж украінцамі на ахову сваей мовы і расейцамі на перамогу мовы расейскай, а на Беларусі ўсё мірна ды спакойна, бо ніхто ня супраць, але самім беларусам да мовы проста абыякава.
Native [flag=]uk[/flag], OK [flag=]be.Tara[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag], Some [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag], Beginner [flag=]tr[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag], Kudos to [flag=]crh[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag]

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2009-06-09, 9:35

Мушу сказаць, што цяпер якраз амаль ня сачу за падзеямі на Беларусі ды й ніколі ня быў на вашай зямлі, таму й пытаюся ;) Гэта калісьці захапляўся беларускай музыкай, адтуль і ўсе, якія ё, веды па мове :whistle: Мяне мне, як жыхару Ўкраіны, заўсёды напрошвалася параўнаньне сытуацыі ў нашых суседзскіх краінах з на дзіва падобнымі мовамі ды на дзіва, як мяне мне здаецца, рознымі сьветаглядамі і псыхалёґіямі. Наколькі чуў, на пачатку дзевяностых адраджэньне мовы йшло на ўзровень хутчэй, чым на Ўкраіне. Але недзе год назад таму глядзеў Беларусь ТВ ды ня ўбачыў амаль ніводнай беларусамоўнай праграмы, акрамя аднаго сюжэту ў навінах ды савецкага фільму пра вайну а трэцеяй ночы :D (ці правільна ўжыць тут прыназоўнік „а”?) (я не разумею, што маецца на ўвазе?). А наогул выглядае так, што на Ўкраіне стала ідзе барацьба паміж украінцамі на ахову сваей мовы і расейцамі на перамогу мовы расейскай, а на Беларусі ўсё мірна ды спакойна, бо ніхто ня супраць, але самім беларусам да мовы проста абыякава.

Ну, так і ёсць. У Мінску беларуская не з'яўляецца жывой мовай, а хутчэй падобная на гурток эсперантыстаў. Цікавасць да беларускай назіраецца, у асноўным, з боку праціўнікаў сучаснага рэжыму, але ўжо даволі часта сустракаюцца і прыхільнікі Лукашэнкі, якія на хвалі патрыятызму і пачуцця сваёй нацыянальнай "выключнасці" гатовыя перайсці на беларускую. Аднак, гэта толькі на словах; на справах гэтыя людзі кіруюцца прагматызмам.

На маю думку, каб у беларусізацыі была зацікаўлена дзяржава, то разумная прапаганда + падтрымка адукацыі і СМІ маглі б вельмі хутка захапіць мазгі моладзі, дзякуючы таму, што падмурак у выглядзе развітага нацыянальнага пачуцця мы ўжо маем. Але ж, дзяржаве да таго няма справы.

Дарэчы, я таксама лічу, што псіхалогіі ўкраінцаў ды беларусаў значна, калі не палярна, адрозніваюцца. Усім вядомая наша "памяркоўнасць" на мяжы з "абыякавасцю", праз якую, напэўна, у нас ніколі і не было буйных пратэстаў, як на Ўкраіне. Украінцы, мне здаецца, больш "запаллівыя", імпульсіўныя.

dorenda

Postby dorenda » 2009-06-09, 12:22

Ну так. Вы Беларусы - мірныя людзі. :P
нехай мій гаманець порожній
моя дорога невідома
я стану вільним, подорожнім
найголовніше вийти з дому

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2009-06-09, 13:07

dorenda wrote:Ну так. Вы Беларусы - мірныя людзі. :P

Цыц, толькі мне дазволена кпіць з нашага менталітэту :)

Кажуць, мы мірныя ды й цярплівыя толькі да пэўнага "пункту кіпення", па-за якім абурэнне выліваецца ў рашучасць і лютасць.

Караткевіч пра гэта піша, што ў беларусаў мірныя, але крыху шалёныя вочы. Падчас айчыннай вайны на Беларусі, як вядома, быў пашыраны партызанскі рух: селянін мог напачатку падацца цяля цялём, а потым знянацку ткнуць віламі ў бок.:twisted:

Return to “Other Languages”