Mongolian (Монгол хэл)

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
księżycowy
Re: Mongolian (Монгол хэл)

Postby księżycowy » 2011-07-16, 15:09

bluejay390 wrote:And now I feel like actively studying Mongolian again and giving it priority. Mongolian needs its own forum too. :wink: :P

Glad to help. And it sure does need it's own forum! :wink:

bluejay390

Postby bluejay390 » 2011-07-18, 1:32

Cesare M. wrote:
bluejay390 wrote:Hi everyone. Сайн байна уу? Миний нэр Лиза. Би монгол хэл сурч байна. Although, my Mongolian is still pretty bad since I'm still a beginner. :p Is anyone else here learning Mongolian?

Like I said to you before, your Mongolian is pretty good for a beginner. Keep on going and I'll keep helping you. :)

баярлалаа, Cesare. :) I'll try to write more in Mongolian in my free time. We should start a discussion in Mongolian in this thread! A discussion about anything. :D Cesare, Та сайн уу? Хир зэрэг та монгол хэл сурасан бэ? Та монгол хоол дуртай юу? Би будаатай хуурга бэлдэх чадах! Би будаатай хуурга дуртай.
Selamat tidur kekasih gelapku♪♫

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-07-18, 2:55

bluejay390 wrote:барялалла, Cesare. :) I'll try to write more in Mongolian in my free time. We should start a discussion in Mongolian in this thread! A discussion about anything. :D Cesare, Та сайн уу? Та монгол хэл сурасан хир удаан бэ? Та монгол хоол дуртай юу вэ? Би будаатай хуурга бэлдэх чадах! Би будаатай хуурга дуртай.

Та маш сайн хийсан! :)

You did very well! :)

Notes:

Та - Formal
Чи - Informal

- When you put a question word in a sentence, it always has to be near the end of the sentence before the interrogative particle.

- When you have an interrogative sentence with a question word it requires бэ or вэ. бэ is for words that end in в, м, or н. For words that end with л, you use вэ.

- Хир эрээг is individually correct, but in the sentence you wrote, it does not make sense. The main translation for "how long" is Хир удаан.

Otherwise you did very well! :) All the four notes I gave you are very important, especially the last three because of the word order of Mongolian. Thanks for writing something in Mongolian, and I am glad I was able to help you. :)
Last edited by Unknown on 2011-07-18, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

bluejay390

Postby bluejay390 » 2011-07-18, 4:07

Cesare M. wrote:
bluejay390 wrote:барялалла, Cesare. :) I'll try to write more in Mongolian in my free time. We should start a discussion in Mongolian in this thread! A discussion about anything. :D Cesare, Та сайн уу? Та монгол хэл сурасан хир удаан бэ? Та монгол хоол дуртай юу вэ? Би будаатай хуурга бэлдэх чадах! Би будаатай хуурга дуртай.

Та маш сайн хийсан! :)

You did very well! :)

Thank you for the corrections! Now answer the questions in Mongolian! :P lol. I wanted corrections but I also wanted to try and get a discussion started in this thread.

- When you put a question word in a sentence, it always has to be near the end of the sentence before the interrogative particle.

Got it! I made a little note about that in my notebook. I will have to be careful of word order when I write something else. I am not surprised that I messed up the word order, haha.

- бэ is a particle to make the question linked to what has happened in the past. вэ is for present and future.

Really? My notes don't say anything about the past vs. present and future. What I have written down is this: When using question words хэн or юу sentences must end with бэ or вэ. Words that en in в, л, м, or н are followed by "бэ?" and all others are followed by "вэ?"

I can't find anything in my notes about бэ being used only with the past вэ being used only with the present and future. Where did you read this? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just a little confused. I need to edit my notes if they're wrong. :P

However I did forget the вэ particle at the end of my sentence so thank you for catching and correcting that. :)

- Хир эрээг is individually correct, but in the sentence you wrote, it does not make sense. The main translation for "how long" is Хир удаан.

In that sentence I wanted to say "How did you study Mongolian?" not "How long..." Would I still have to use "Хир удаан" there? I was trying to go for a meaning like "what is your study method?". But thanks for the note about Хир удаан too. :)

Otherwise you did very well! :) All the four notes I gave you are very important, especially the last three because of the word order of Mongolian. Thanks for writing something in Mongolian, and I am glad I was able to help you. :)

Thank you once again for the help! And thanks for the notes as well. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-07-18, 10:09

bluejay390 wrote:
Cesare M. wrote: - бэ is a particle to make the question linked to what has happened in the past. вэ is for present and future.

Really? My notes don't say anything about the past vs. present and future. What I have written down is this: When using question words хэн or юу sentences must end with бэ or вэ. Words that en in в, л, м, or н are followed by "бэ?" and all others are followed by "вэ?"

I can't find anything in my notes about бэ being used only with the past вэ being used only with the present and future. Where did you read this? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just a little confused. I need to edit my notes if they're wrong. :P

However I did forget the вэ particle at the end of my sentence so thank you for catching and correcting that. :)

You are (mostly) correct bluejay. When you have an interrogative sentence with a question word it requires either бэ or вэ. бэ is for words ending in в, м, or н. With л you use вэ.

I don't know exactly what Cesare is talking about with the past tense or present/future tense, as that has nothing to do with these particles so far as I know.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-07-18, 10:32

księżycowy wrote: You are (mostly) correct bluejay. When you have an interrogative sentence with a question word it requires either бэ or вэ. бэ is for words ending in в, м, or н. With л you use вэ.

I don't know exactly what Cesare is talking about with the past tense or present/future tense, as that has nothing to do with these particles so far as I know.

Yeh sorry about that. That was what I meant to write about the two particles. But I was very tired last night when correcting and so I was going to correct what I said about the two particles, but yes thanks księżycowy. Yes so księżycowy is correct about the particles. I just edited that into my correction post. Thanks księżycowy.
Last edited by Unknown on 2011-07-18, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-07-18, 10:35

Зүгээр! :)

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-07-18, 11:22

bluejay390 wrote:Thank you for the corrections! Now answer the questions in Mongolian!  lol. I wanted corrections but I also wanted to try and get a discussion started in this thread.

Уучларай, зугээр, би ядрах байсан, харин би таны асуултын бух хариулах байна.

Би монгол хэл ном ирсэн сурасан, харин бас, видеоний ирсэн. Бас, би монгол хоол иддэггуй омон байсан, харин би нэг одрийн монгол хоол иддэг авмаар тоглосон. Би Канаданий ирсен хаанаас, бид монгол зоогойн байнгуй, харин би нэг одрийн монгол зоогойн явах маш авмаар тоглосон.  

bluejay390 wrote:In that sentence I wanted to say "How did you study Mongolian?" not "How long..." Would I still have to use "Хир удаан" there? I was trying to go for a meaning like "what is your study method?". But thanks for the note about Хир удаан too.

How did you study Mongolian? - Та монгол (хэл) сурасан яаж вэ?
Last edited by Unknown on 2011-11-16, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

bluejay390

Postby bluejay390 » 2011-10-21, 23:23

Does anyone here know how to write and/or read the Classical Mongol script? I was doing research on Inner Mongolia for a short power point presentation that I have to give in my Mandarin Chinese class, and I just find the Mongolian script used there so beautiful. One day I will learn this script. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-10-22, 0:08

bluejay390 wrote:Does anyone here know how to write and/or read the Classical Mongol script?

Don't really know how the read it (yet), but I share your fondness of the script (and the classical language is pretty cool too). :) I have some resources on Classical Mongolian, but I'm not sure that would help with modern dialects that use the script.

bluejay390

Postby bluejay390 » 2011-10-25, 2:13

I was just thinking, there's probably some good resources in Chinese for learning Mongolian (both the language and the script). I will have to look into this more later. It would be so cool to learn Mongolian through Chinese. XD I should probably get back to this language though before I forget everything. I might be spamming this thread with random questions and sentences soon. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-10-25, 10:20

bluejay390 wrote:I was just thinking, there's probably some good resources in Chinese for learning Mongolian (both the language and the script). I will have to look into this more later. It would be so cool to learn Mongolian through Chinese. XD

Probably are! Especially for the dialects spoken in Inner Mongolia.
If you find any good textbooks, please pass them along! :wink:

I should probably get back to this language though before I forget everything. I might be spamming this thread with random questions and sentences soon. :P

Spam away! I'd love to learn a Mongolian dialect that still uses the traditional script. :D

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-10-25, 21:30

bluejay390 wrote:I should probably get back to this language though before I forget everything. I might be spamming this thread with random questions and sentences soon. :P

Don't worry you won't be spamming. I'll do my best to help you with Mongolian, and I'll be happy to answer as much questions as I can. :)

bluejay390

Postby bluejay390 » 2011-10-26, 18:51

So, I was curious and decided to try to search for materials in Chinese. :D I found this. It seems to be just a phrase book, but it still looks very useful. The Mongolian is written in the Mongol script with a transliteration in the Latin script, and a translation in Chinese.

Some more links: 01 02

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-10-27, 13:22

I got interest n the script too, I have even managed to learn Manchu script, which is very similar.
I have downloaded this book http://ishare.iask.sina.com.cn/f/15853059.html
There are some more books, but I have not tried them, some of these use Cyrillic script.
I have also a Japanese textbook on Inner Mongolia Mongolian, but they use transcription, they add the script version only at the end of book I think.
http://www.aa.tufs.ac.jp/elib/ltext/khk/pdf/a.pdf
university freeware
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-10-27, 17:31

That Japanese textbook is looking pretty sweet to me. Have to check out the Chinese one later.

bluejay390

Postby bluejay390 » 2011-10-27, 18:30

Awesome! :D Thank you, モモンガ.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-10-28, 14:08

Монгол:

Би Юутубын видео узэсон, ба хувь хунний нэр Глоссика (Glossika) байна. Видеоний эхлэхуул, тэрний толь бичигийн монголуул, ба хятадуул угж хараз байна: "хөгжигүн хогжуун" (development). Би тэр сөнирхолтой байсон бодосон.

English:

I saw a video on YouTube, and the user's name is "Glossika". In the beginning of the video, he looks up a word in a dictionary in Mongolian and Chinese; "хөгжигүн хогжуун" (development). I thought it was interesting.
Last edited by Unknown on 2011-11-16, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-10-31, 15:56

I am happy that it proved to be useful.
I am recently into China Ethnic minority languages, so, I was researching a lot about it.
I have also found a videos on tudou, but they only teach some vocabulary.
No conversations, or grammar explanations.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-16, 12:50

Some excellent lessons (for free) are available here:
http://mongoliacourses.org/
You just might have to register for some of them.

Return to “Other Languages”