Lingala

Stan
Lingala

Postby Stan » 2006-02-05, 4:17

As Swahili is an important language in East Africa, Lingala is an important one in Central Africa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingala

if I was President,
I'd get elected on Friday
assassinated on Saturday
buried on Sunday

greg-fr

Postby greg-fr » 2006-02-05, 7:19

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2006-02-05, 13:25

http://www.ikuska.com/Africa/Lenguas/lingala/index.htm
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Trebor

Re: Lingala

Postby Trebor » 2014-06-27, 3:06

Stan wrote:As Swahili is an important language in East Africa, Lingala is an important one in Central Africa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingala

Lingala caught my attention a while ago as a possible language to learn. I've been coming into regular contact over the past several months with a few (native/fluent) speakers, and am wondering whether I should tackle it. The thing is, I don't know which variety to study (the Wikipedia article explains) and how to avoid becoming confused very fast.

Has anyone reading given Lingala a shot? If so, what resources did you use? How did you deal with the above-mentioned problem?
- Native: English
- Intermediate/Advanced: French, Arabic
- Beginner: Somali, Kinyarwanda
- Interested in: Yoruba, Azerbaijani, Uzbek

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-27, 11:09

I've thought about it before myself, but never did anything. The Ethiopian languages and Somali have kind of beat out most other African languages for me.

I'm sure you know this already, but there is a Lingala Basic Course floating around the net.

On a side note: Shouldn't this be moved to the African forum?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-06-27, 17:56

księżycowy wrote:On a side note: Shouldn't this be moved to the African forum?

Yeah, it should.

Trebor

Postby Trebor » 2014-06-27, 21:45

księżycowy wrote:I've thought about it before myself, but never did anything. The Ethiopian languages and Somali have kind of beat out most other African languages for me.

Haha, those are also very interesting, and provide a nice change of pace from the Bantu languages which dominate southern and central Africa (if you've seen one with clicks and a couple others, you've probably seen them all).

I'm sure you know this already, but there is a Lingala Basic Course floating around the net.

I've come across that course, but which version of Lingala does it teach? Do you have any ideas on which kind of Lingala to go for, and how to do so?

On a side note: Shouldn't this be moved to the African forum?

I was wondering that too.
- Native: English
- Intermediate/Advanced: French, Arabic
- Beginner: Somali, Kinyarwanda
- Interested in: Yoruba, Azerbaijani, Uzbek

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-27, 22:02

Trebor wrote:Haha, those are also very interesting, and provide a nice change of pace from the Bantu languages which dominate southern and central Africa (if you've seen one with clicks and a couple others, you've probably seen them all).

Yeah, my thoughts as well. I would like to do a Bantu language*, but it's like you say, once you see one, you pretty much get the idea.

I've come across that course, but which version of Lingala does it teach? Do you have any ideas on which kind of Lingala to go for, and how to do so?

That I'm not sure of. I only know of it's existence, not it's contents.

*Though if push came to shove, I'd leave it alone. Ethiopian at all costs! lol

Return to “African Indigenous Languages”