Elaine - Yorùbá

User avatar
Elaine
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3467
Joined: 2011-10-10, 17:12
Real Name: Bora
Gender: male
Location: İstanbul
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

Elaine - Yorùbá

Postby Elaine » 2014-05-17, 9:19

Hello everyone!

I'll learn some Yoruba. This thread is about my Yoruba progress.

Bye! ;)
Last edited by Elaine on 2015-09-19, 7:47, edited 2 times in total.
Native:  (tr)
Advanced:  (el)
Intermediate:  (fi)  (ka)  (en)  (id)

Trebor
Posts: 66
Joined: 2013-05-10, 3:06
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Eibhlín - Yorùbá

Postby Trebor » 2014-05-17, 15:17

Great. Yoruba is a language I also find interesting and hope to learn one day. So, keep the updates coming. :)
- Native: English
- Intermediate/Advanced: French, Arabic
- Beginner: Somali, Kinyarwanda
- Interested in: Yoruba, Azerbaijani, Uzbek

User avatar
Ífaradà
Posts: 87
Joined: 2014-03-29, 8:37
Gender: female
Country: NO Norway (Norge)

Re: Eibhlín - Yorùbá

Postby Ífaradà » 2014-05-25, 19:03

Glad to see someone with an interest in Yoruba. It's a fun language with many hidden treasures.

If there's anything you need help with, you know where to find me.

Ó dìgbà.
-Native: Yoruba & Norwegian
-Intermediate: English

Trebor
Posts: 66
Joined: 2013-05-10, 3:06
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Eibhlín - Yorùbá

Postby Trebor » 2014-06-06, 18:27

Eibhlín wrote:I'll learn some Yoruba. This thread is about my Yoruba progress.


How has your Yoruba been coming along?
- Native: English
- Intermediate/Advanced: French, Arabic
- Beginner: Somali, Kinyarwanda
- Interested in: Yoruba, Azerbaijani, Uzbek

Trebor
Posts: 66
Joined: 2013-05-10, 3:06
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Eibhlín - Yorùbá

Postby Trebor » 2014-06-06, 18:29

Ífaradà wrote:Glad to see someone with an interest in Yoruba. It's a fun language with many hidden treasures.

If there's anything you need help with, you know where to find me.

Ó dìgbà.


Thanks for posting in this thread. :)

What are some of those "hidden treausres" to be found in Yoruba?
- Native: English
- Intermediate/Advanced: French, Arabic
- Beginner: Somali, Kinyarwanda
- Interested in: Yoruba, Azerbaijani, Uzbek

User avatar
Ífaradà
Posts: 87
Joined: 2014-03-29, 8:37
Gender: female
Country: NO Norway (Norge)

Re: Eibhlín - Yorùbá

Postby Ífaradà » 2014-07-13, 10:37

Trebor wrote:
Ífaradà wrote:Glad to see someone with an interest in Yoruba. It's a fun language with many hidden treasures.

If there's anything you need help with, you know where to find me.

Ó dìgbà.


Thanks for posting in this thread. :)

What are some of those "hidden treausres" to be found in Yoruba?
Perhaps the most interesting part about Yoruba is the sheer amount of possible word combinations to create new deep meanings. You can also obscure meanings by creating heavily morphed words. You'll particularly find this happening in Yoruba names.

For example a common Yoruba name: Adéwálé. You might be able to spot 3 words, but there are actually 5.

In this case, the preposition "sí" which means "to" is deleted. I'm not sure of the exact grammatical rule. Then there's "adé" which means crown which comes from the "a" prefix (agentive) + the verb "dé" to cover. So in essence: A + dé - wá - sí - ilé. (the crown has come home). A crown is synonymous with wealth and wisdom.

Ó dìgbà, ọ̀rẹ́ mi.
-Native: Yoruba & Norwegian
-Intermediate: English


Return to “African Indigenous Languages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest