Help translating 1700s Turkish inscription?

Moderator:eskandar

jessicamoris3
Help translating 1700s Turkish inscription?

Postby jessicamoris3 » 2016-01-09, 14:12

Hello there,

Would anyone be able to translate this old inscription, possibly written in the Turkish language using the Arabic alphabet?

My family has this old plate from the 1700s, which my father bought in Ankara, Turkey several decades ago. One responder in the Ancient & Classical Languages subforum was able to decipher the year and (possibly) the name Hassan. My family and I would love to know what the rest says. It has become somewhat of a family mystery.

Thank you so much!

Jessica
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jessicamoris3

Re: Help translating 1700s Turkish inscription?

Postby jessicamoris3 » 2016-01-09, 14:15

Also, here are the notes from the previous responder in the Ancient & Classical Languages sub-forum:

"This was harder than I thought. I have a hard time reading some handwriting and fancy calligraphic scripts. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can take my notes here and go further.

The first word looks like قسطحه ("qustaha" or something like it) but that doesn't mean anything I know of, and it's not in the dictionary. Maybe, if I'm misreading one letter, and seeing another where there is none, it could be قطعة (qut3a) which means "plot of land."

لى (li) = "for me"

The next one is hard. All I can think is مسلحى (muselha) which would mean "armed" (but spelled wrong), or مسلجى (muselja) which doesn't mean anything that I know of.

حسن (Hassan) = probably someone's name

The last word is hard to figure out because the first letter is somehow faded or smudged. If it is what I think, then its منك (minku), meaning "for you."

Finally, the number 1173, probably a year on the Islamic calendar. The current Islamic year in 1437, and a year on that calendar is 10~ days shorter than on ours, putting 1173 somewhere in the mid-late 1700s.

If you got it in Turkey, and it's from the late 1700s, maybe it's not Arabic but Turkish? Back then Turkish was written in Arabic script."

alkisax

Postby alkisax » 2016-05-14, 20:23

Hello. I also need a help in translating this beatyfull inscription i found in the ruins of a house in the Ottoman setlement in the island of spinalonga in crete - greece. It must be from the 18th-19th century. Thnx for any help

https://i.imgsafe.org/ef05a0e.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/e670a1e.jpg

davidsavop

Postby davidsavop » 2016-06-20, 16:42

Can anyone interpret a birth certificate of my great great grandfather, written in Ottoman Turkish? I want to help my 88 year old Dad to find out where he is from! I can provide a good scan of the original birth certificate.

Thanks!

Return to “Turkic Languages”