Stress in Kazakh

Moderator:eskandar

Kavkaz
Stress in Kazakh

Postby Kavkaz » 2015-08-28, 0:47

Сәлеметсіздер ме! I have a question about stress in Kazakh. Unfortunately, the textbook I've been using (Kubaeva's Kazakh-Russian-English Kazakh Language Made Easy) hasn't made any mention of stress yet. As a result, I've had to look online for answers. My understanding so far is that:

- Words are generally stressed on the last syllable (отбасы, қанша, сөздік, бардым, etc.)
- Endings added to verbs in the present and future tenses--мын/мін, мыз/міз, сыздар/сіздер, etc. are unstressed. (сәлеметсіз бе, etc.)
- The a/e between the stem and ending in the future tense is stressed (келеді, барады, etc.)
- Adjectival suffix дай/дей, тай/тей is unstressed
- The suffix шы/шi is unstressed
- The negative suffix (ба/бе, па/пе, ма/ме) is unstressed (Сен жазбай отырсың, etc.)

I'm not sure about the following, though.

- In order to form the present tense, it's my understanding you add -п/ып/іп to the verb stem and follow it with either тұр, жүр, отыр, or жатыр. Are the latter 4 words stressed on their first syllables? When I listen to the audio examples at this site it sounds like жатыр, отыр, etc. How about the -п/ып/іп endings? Are they stressed? I.e., is it жазып жазып?

- The phrase Сау болыңыз is an important one and thus I want to make sure I'm saying it correctly. It sounds like the second word is stressed on the first syllable, болыңыз. Is that correct? What form of the verb болу is that that inserts the -ы- after the root бол- and before the ending -ңыз? I also noticed it in the word бұрылыңыз.

Рахмет in advance :)
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag=]ru[/flag]
Beginner: [flag=]ka[/flag]
Interested: [flag=]ab[/flag][flag=]ce[/flag][flag=]inh[/flag][flag=]kbd[/flag][flag=]av[/flag]

Rakhimzhan

Re: Stress in Kazakh

Postby Rakhimzhan » 2017-03-20, 15:51

interesting_username wrote:Сәлеметсіздер ме! I have a question about stress in Kazakh. Unfortunately, the textbook I've been using (Kubaeva's Kazakh-Russian-English Kazakh Language Made Easy) hasn't made any mention of stress yet. As a result, I've had to look online for answers. My understanding so far is that:

- Words are generally stressed on the last syllable (отбасы, қанша, сөздік, бардым, etc.)
- Endings added to verbs in the present and future tenses--мын/мін, мыз/міз, сыздар/сіздер, etc. are unstressed. (сәлеметсіз бе, etc.)
- The a/e between the stem and ending in the future tense is stressed (келеді, барады, etc.)
- Adjectival suffix дай/дей, тай/тей is unstressed
- The suffix шы/шi is unstressed
- The negative suffix (ба/бе, па/пе, ма/ме) is unstressed (Сен жазбай отырсың, etc.)

I'm not sure about the following, though.

- In order to form the present tense, it's my understanding you add -п/ып/іп to the verb stem and follow it with either тұр, жүр, отыр, or жатыр. Are the latter 4 words stressed on their first syllables? When I listen to the audio examples at this site it sounds like жатыр, отыр, etc. How about the -п/ып/іп endings? Are they stressed? I.e., is it жазып жазып?

- The phrase Сау болыңыз is an important one and thus I want to make sure I'm saying it correctly. It sounds like the second word is stressed on the first syllable, болыңыз. Is that correct? What form of the verb болу is that that inserts the -ы- after the root бол- and before the ending -ңыз? I also noticed it in the word бұрылыңыз.

Рахмет in advance :)

Personal endings unstressed as in адАм+мын - I am a human, барА+мын - I (will) go
There is a phenomena called transional stress, which for short is about making stressed less stressed, unstressed more stressed. Жаз+Ып Отыр, тың+дАп жАтыр. Generally, stick with stressing the latter, if in doubt. Жаз+Ып отЫр, тың+дАп жатЫр.
Өзге тілдің бәрін біл, өз тіліңді құрметте!
[flag=]kk[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]zh[/flag] [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]fi[/flag]

Return to “Turkic Languages”