(the)Yakut language(Sakha Tula)

Moderator:eskandar

Tong Duurai
(the)Yakut language(Sakha Tula)

Postby Tong Duurai » 2008-06-30, 21:19

I would like to learn Sakha, but since I dont live in Russia(let alone anywhere near Yakutia)what am I to do about finding resources on such obscure languages. The Sakha language, IIRC, is Turkic but is considered to a be an importan link between turkic languages and mongolian.

Mongol

Re: (the)Yakut language(Sakha Tula)

Postby Mongol » 2008-12-04, 23:30

There is a Yakut language grammar by John Krueger, published by the Indiana university press which I have seen, but I don't know if it's still available. Yakut is somewhat divergent from the other Turkic languages, but still very closely related to them.
The similarities to Turkish could not have been more obvious, but I don't think they are mutually intelligible, although speakers of both languages would recognize many words from each other's languages. It's the Chuvash language of the Volga that is most divergent.
It's probably the only Turkic language that's totally incomprehensible with the others.
I think it's Chuvash that's probably the real link between Turkic and Mongolian.
The Tuvan language of South Siberia contains many Mongolian loanwords.

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2008-12-05, 15:33

Mongol wrote:There is a Yakut language grammar by John Krueger, published by the Indiana university press which I have seen, but I don't know if it's still available.

The Mongolia Society is selling it and the other (Tuvan, Chuvash) language manuals by Kruger.

Here's a Yakut-English dictionary.

There's a smattering of resources in Russian scattered over the net (including this). IMHO Russian is essential when learning almost any minority language of the former USSR, because it's often the only language this material is available in.

Mongol wrote:Yakut is somewhat divergent from the other Turkic languages, but still very closely related to them.
The similarities to Turkish could not have been more obvious, but I don't think they are mutually intelligible, although speakers of both languages would recognize many words from each other's languages.

Grammatically, perhaps, but this doesn't extend to the vocabulary. One of the things that unites most Turkic languages is the common mass of Persian/Arabic loans. Turkish underwent "purification" while Yakut was too far away to be influenced by it, so the vocabularies of both languages remain quite distinct.
In general I think the whole matter of mutual intelligibility within Turkic languages has been greatly exaggerated, not the least by many Turkologists themselves, who have political reasons for downgrading the other Turkic languages to mere dialects.

Mongol wrote: I think it's Chuvash that's probably the real link between Turkic and Mongolian.

How do you figure? The Chuvash have had very little historical contact with the Mongols. According to this paper all of the (30-odd) Mongolian loan words in Chuvash likely came via other Turkic languages.

(and I'll remind that the forum for starting threads about other languages is here, I was going to start one myself but figured there was no interest.)

Mongol

Postby Mongol » 2008-12-05, 17:57

In reading Kruger's Yakut manual I did notice many common Turkic words shared by Yakut and Turkish . At , meaning horse, Sut(with umlaut), milk. Bugun, today in Turkish,
Bukun, Yakut. Balik. Fish (undotted i common to both languages), Bu- this, and many other common words.

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2008-12-05, 19:53

Which is only natural among related languages, no argument here. All I meant to say was that you'll probably find many more common words/roots between Turkish and, say, Kazakh than between either language and Yakut. Even simple words like:

en tr kz sa

book kitap kitap kiniige
table masa üstel ostuol
pen kalem qalam uruuchuka
write yaz- jaz- suruy-
notebook defter däpter tetereet
chair sandalye orındıq oloppos
window pencere tereze tünnük
door kapı esik aan

etc

polishboy

Postby polishboy » 2008-12-20, 15:38

I had friend from yakutia,
She said dorobo, is hi in her language.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2015-05-10, 12:31

zhiguli wrote:Which is only natural among related languages, no argument here. All I meant to say was that you'll probably find many more common words/roots between Turkish and, say, Kazakh than between either language and Yakut. Even simple words like:

en tr kz sa

book kitap kitap kiniige
table masa üstel ostuol
pen kalem qalam uruuchuka
write yaz- jaz- suruy-
notebook defter däpter tetereet
chair sandalye orındıq oloppos
window pencere tereze tünnük
door kapı esik aan

etc

Kiniige, uruuchuka, tetereet are Russian loanwords.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2015-05-10, 12:37

How many people there are learning Sakha?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Return to “Turkic Languages”