dEhiN's Tamil Thread

Moderators: Meera, vijayjohn

dEhiN

dEhiN's Tamil Thread

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-21, 13:13

வணக்கம் எல்லாம். என்னுடைய பேர் dEhiN. This is my Tamil thread. See here for a background of who I am and why I'm learning Tamil.

I'm going to post questions I have in Tamil, and hopefully eventually translations. I'm a beginner in Tamil. Whenever I can, I will write in Tamil but probably in செந்தமிழ். கொடுந்தமிழ் is difficult for me because I want to learn Sri Lankan கொடுந்தமிழ் and most Tamil native speakers I meet online are from Tamil Nadu. I think maybe if I learn proper செந்தமிழ் first, then I can use my Tamil family and friends where I live to practice Sri Lankan கொடுந்தமிழ்.

With that said, I will probably still ask some pronunciation questions. For example, do Tamils generally pronounce கொஞ்சம் as /koɲd͡ʒəm/ or /koɲd͡ʑəm/?

நன்றி.
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

(N)  (en-ca) | (B1)  (fr) (pt-br) | (A2)  (es-co) | (A1)  (ja) (ko) (sv) (ta-lk)
(A0)  (de) (fy) (haw) (hi) (hu) (id) (it) (nah) (oc) (oj) (pl) (ro) (ru) (sq) (tl) (tr) (zh)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: dEhiN's Tamil Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-23, 8:13

dEhiN wrote:வணக்கம் எல்லாம்.

I think எல்லாம் means 'everything', not 'everyone'. I would think "hi everyone" would be something more like எல்லாருக்கும் வணக்கம். Or am I totally off base here? I suspect Aekalaivan or someone like that may be able to give some more valuable feedback here than I can.
For example, do Tamils generally pronounce கொஞ்சம் as /koɲd͡ʒəm/ or /koɲd͡ʑəm/?

Tbh I don't think the difference between [d͡ʒ] and [d͡ʑ] is big enough for anyone (or at least any native speakers of Tamil) to reliably notice. I feel even linguists screw this up all the time to the point where there is some linguist for each of all sorts of Asian languages claiming that they have [t͡ɕ] and [d͡ʑ] rather than [t͡ʃ] and [d͡ʒ]. People say this for Malayalam as well, but I use [t͡ʃ] and [d͡ʒ] all the time and no one has ever once batted an eyelid in all the 28 years I've been doing this.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-24, 0:55

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:வணக்கம் எல்லாம்.

I think எல்லாம் means 'everything', not 'everyone'. I would think "hi everyone" would be something more like எல்லாருக்கும் வணக்கம். Or am I totally off base here? I suspect Aekalaivan or someone like that may be able to give some more valuable feedback here than I can.

ந்ன்றி வீஜை (or: விஜை?).

I was using Agarathi as a resource, and thought there was an entry that basically said using எல்லாம் for 'everyone' is ok. But looking at it again, I think it should be எல்லாரும். There are two entries on that Agarathi page that uses எல்லாரும் when talking about people:
நாமெல்லாரும், all of us.
நீங்களெல்லாரும், all of you.

vijayjohn wrote:Tbh I don't think the difference between [d͡ʒ] and [d͡ʑ] is big enough for anyone (or at least any native speakers of Tamil) to reliably notice. I feel even linguists screw this up all the time to the point where there is some linguist for each of all sorts of Asian languages claiming that they have [t͡ɕ] and [d͡ʑ] rather than [t͡ʃ] and [d͡ʒ]. People say this for Malayalam as well, but I use [t͡ʃ] and [d͡ʒ] all the time and no one has ever once batted an eyelid in all the 28 years I've been doing this.

That's good to know! I used to use [t͡ʃ] and [d͡ʒ] and I'm pretty sure my parents use them too. But I assumed that's due to English influence. It is easier for me to use those two rather than [t͡ɕ] and [d͡ʑ] in Tamil, so I'll continue using what I first used.
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

(N)  (en-ca) | (B1)  (fr) (pt-br) | (A2)  (es-co) | (A1)  (ja) (ko) (sv) (ta-lk)
(A0)  (de) (fy) (haw) (hi) (hu) (id) (it) (nah) (oc) (oj) (pl) (ro) (ru) (sq) (tl) (tr) (zh)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-24, 4:56

dEhiN wrote:ந்ன்றி வீஜை (or: விஜை?).

விஜய், I guess, but my Malayalee name would be விஜயன், which would probably make more sense as a Tamil name, too. I think "thanks, Vijay!" would be விஜயனுக்கு நன்றி!
I was using Agarathi as a resource, and thought there was an entry that basically said using எல்லாம் for 'everyone' is ok. But looking at it again, I think it should be எல்லாரும். There are two entries on that Agarathi page that uses எல்லாரும் when talking about people:
நாமெல்லாரும், all of us.
நீங்களெல்லாரும், all of you.

Yeah, that makes sense. They list one of the possible meanings as "All, personal as well as impersonal," so that may have been what confused you, but their only examples are அவர்கள் எல்லாம் போனார்கள் and அவை எல்லாம் போயின, both meaning 'they all went/left/disappeared' (where the first one refers to people and the second refers to things).
That's good to know! I used to use [t͡ʃ] and [d͡ʒ] and I'm pretty sure my parents use them too. But I assumed that's due to English influence. It is easier for me to use those two rather than [t͡ɕ] and [d͡ʑ] in Tamil, so I'll continue using what I first used.

:y:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-24, 5:01

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:ந்ன்றி வீஜை (or: விஜை?).

விஜய், I guess, but my Malayalee name would be விஜயன், which would probably make more sense as a Tamil name, too. I think "thanks, Vijay!" would be விஜயனுக்கு நன்றி!

விஜயனுக்கு ந்ன்றி! :D
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

Return to “South Asian Languages”