Ladakhi

Moderator:vijayjohn

tflath
Ladakhi

Postby tflath » 2007-01-05, 22:33

Jule! (Hi)

Does anyone here know much about the Ladakhi language (spoken in the Ladakh region of Jammu & Kashmir in Northern India)? I have a "Getting started" language book, but I was wondering if there was anyone who might be able to answer any questions I have about it. Thanks,

Trav

Jule! (Hallo)
Weißt jemand hier sogar ein bisschen über die Ladakhi-Sprache (im Ladakh-Region von Jammu & Kashmir im Norden von Indien gesprochen)? Ich habe schon ein Buch, Ladakhi für Anfänger, gekauft, aber ich wollte mal wissen, ob es jemand hier gibt, der, wenn ich auf eine Frage vorbeikomme, sie antworten könnten. Vielen Dank,

Trav

pastorant

Postby pastorant » 2007-01-06, 2:14

Yes, Ladakhi is a dialect of Tibetan. I was a missionary in Tibet fora few years, so I can possibly help you.
PastorAnt
ᏱᎦᏊ ᎣᏌᏂᏳ ᎠᏓᏅᏙ ᎠᏓᏙᎵᎩ ᏂᎪᎯᎸᎢ ᎾᏍᏋ ᎤᏠᏯᏍᏗ ᏂᎯ
yigaquu osaniyu adanvto adadoligi nigohilvi nasquv utloyasdi nihi
May God's blessings always be with you.
(Use Code2000 font to see)

Cherokee, Yoruba, Esperanto, Spanish, Burmese, Amharic

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Ladakhi

Postby eskandar » 2009-03-27, 20:22

I'm reviving this old thread because I'm interested in learning Ladakhi. I'm particularly interested in the Balti or Burig dialects, but so far the only material I've found is the "Getting Started" book which is based on the Leh dialect. Does anyone know of other resources for Ladakhi? I'm trying to track down a copy of the Ladakhi Phonetic Reader and Ladakhi Grammar by Samyukta Koshal, and the Ladakhi-English-Urdu Dictionary that's out there somewhere.

Pastorant/Formiko, were you in Tibet proper (in China)? If so, I don't know how much you could help because Central Tibetan is a completely separate language from Ladakhi, but any help you could offer would be appreciated nonetheless!
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2009-03-27, 21:13

eskandar wrote:I'm reviving this old thread because I'm interested in learning Ladakhi. I'm particularly interested in the Balti or Burig dialects, but so far the only material I've found is the "Getting Started" book which is based on the Leh dialect. Does anyone know of other resources for Ladakhi? I'm trying to track down a copy of the Ladakhi Phonetic Reader and Ladakhi Grammar by Samyukta Koshal, and the Ladakhi-English-Urdu Dictionary that's out there somewhere.

Pastorant/Formiko, were you in Tibet proper (in China)? If so, I don't know how much you could help because Central Tibetan is a completely separate language from Ladakhi, but any help you could offer would be appreciated nonetheless!

I was in China, Lhasa to be exact. I have a PDF of Ladakhi if you want that. The vocab between the two is quite different, but the grammar is pretty much the same. I never learned the Tibetan writing system, so you're on your own there. It's been quite a few years (I was there twice for 4 months at a time) so I've lost much of it. I can probably rattle my brain and pull out a few nuggets.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Meera

Postby Meera » 2009-03-28, 20:52

one of my really good freinds speaks ladakhi. I don't know hardley anything of the lanaguge though. :para:

Although I did find some resources for anyone interested:
http://www.xenotypetech.com/samplepdfs/LD_Sample.pdf

http://www.baylanguagebooks.co.uk/searc ... Field.y=24

http://www.ethnologue.com/14/show_language.asp?code=LBJ

If I find anything else I will post it.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2009-03-30, 1:12

Thanks for the links Meera, and try to get your friend to join Unilang! It would be so great if she would give lessons here, or at least answer questions!

Formiko wrote:I was in China, Lhasa to be exact. I have a PDF of Ladakhi if you want that. The vocab between the two is quite different, but the grammar is pretty much the same. I never learned the Tibetan writing system, so you're on your own there. It's been quite a few years (I was there twice for 4 months at a time) so I've lost much of it. I can probably rattle my brain and pull out a few nuggets.

If the PDF you have is the "Getting Started in Ladakhi" text that's on uz-translations, I already have it. If it's something else, I'd love to have it, PM me please! Maybe when I get a chance to start going over the materials I have, I'll have some grammatical questions that you might be able to help with. :)

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2009-03-30, 1:21

eskandar wrote:If the PDF you have is the "Getting Started in Ladakhi" text that's on uz-translations, I already have it. If it's something else, I'd love to have it, PM me please! Maybe when I get a chance to start going over the materials I have, I'll have some grammatical questions that you might be able to help with. :)

You're way ahead of me :)
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Meera

Postby Meera » 2009-03-30, 4:07

eskandar wrote:Thanks for the links Meera, and try to get your friend to join Unilang! It would be so great if she would give lessons here, or at least answer questions!

I will ask her to join. I was talking to her today and she said that Ladakhi is much like Tibetian. Is that true?

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2009-03-30, 13:06

Yes, Ladakhi is closely related to Tibetan, although they aren't mutually intelligible. As Formiko said, most of the words are different, but the grammar is similar. Much of Ladakhi is preserved from ancient Tibetan words from thousands of years ago, that have changed radically in Tibetan. There are also a number of Persian and Urdu loanwords in Ladakhi.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2009-03-30, 16:57

Petit lexique Ladakhi (short Ladakhi lesson in French) which I have crudely attempted to translate into English here

Christian media in Ladakhi (better than nothing for practice, I suppose!)

"Ladakh: Past and Present" by Prem Singh Jina has a chapter containing a language profile of Ladakhi

Ladakhi vocabulary

Since my real interest is Balti, and they're mutually intelligible, I'll post Balti and Burig resources here too.

Balti-English English-Balti Dictionary

Vortarulo

Postby Vortarulo » 2009-03-30, 21:41

Too bad that only the Balti-English part of this dictionary works! I would've liked to compile a 40-words-list from that source for our ASJP project — I just saw we don't have Balti yet. :/

- André
[flag]de[/flag] ← native
[flag]eo[/flag] [flag]us[/flag] [flag]zh[/flag] ← fluent
[flag]nl[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]tlh[/flag] ← intermediate
[flag]fr[/flag] [flag]ddo[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]lo[/flag] ← conversational
...and also a little bit of [flag]la[/flag] [flag]zhc[/flag] [flag]pt[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]tpi[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]bo[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]id[/flag] and [flag]art-tkp[/flag]

Meera

Postby Meera » 2009-03-30, 22:21

eskander, tashakur baraye "links" :)

spriltar

Postby spriltar » 2009-04-27, 21:00

eskandar wrote:I'm reviving this old thread because I'm interested in learning Ladakhi. I'm particularly interested in the Balti or Burig dialects, but so far the only material I've found is the "Getting Started" book which is based on the Leh dialect. Does anyone know of other resources for Ladakhi? I'm trying to track down a copy of the Ladakhi Phonetic Reader and Ladakhi Grammar by Samyukta Koshal, and the Ladakhi-English-Urdu Dictionary that's out there somewhere.

D.D. Sharma's three volume "Tribal languages of Ladakh" (Mittal Publications, New Delhi 2003) contains a 100-page grammar of Balti and a 140-page grammar of Purig/Purki in volume 3. Volume 2 is on Ladakhi proper, while volume 1 is on the non-Tibetan Brokskad language. I have them all, but I've not even started on the Tibetan volumes... Seems OK though.

Return to “South Asian Languages”