Maori Learner from Germany

kimi

Maori Learner from Germany

Postby kimi » 2012-05-07, 23:56

Hi!

I'm from Germany/United States (right NOW I'm in Germany, but I live in the US) and I'm really interested in the language of the Maori. I already started gattering some information about te reo Maori, but it's just not enough. I barely found ONE website with grammar info (I'm that kind of grammar loving guy^^), and even that is not that much of a help. Like when I use the maoridictionary.co.nz, information there doesn't (completely) match what's on that website. Things like buying books are no option, since there's no Maori books outside New Zealand :( Plus, if there was any, it would cost me a fortune! :(

So, what I'm asking for is for someone who knows Maori, eventually even knows about Grammar (I know people who speak English fluently (native speakers) who have no idea that -ing indicates a continuous tense, nor do they know what tenses even are) and could help me with questions.

If anybody would be able to help me out that would be just awesome :) I will probably ask you alot of questions in the beginning and less and less the more I understand^^

So thanks in advance for anybody who could help me out, and if it's "only" with useful links (that would already be great ;)

hashi
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Maori Learner from Germany

Postby hashi » 2012-05-08, 0:07

Maoridictionary.co.nz is fairly comprehensive, but the interface is a pain in the ass to use. I would recommend the Ngata dictionary online as it's a lot easier to use (although not as comprehensive).

What site do you have for grammar? I tend to use the te kupu o te rā site as a reference for grammar (although the explanations and logical order are a little sketchy).

Otherwise, there are plenty of books and dictionaries in print, you just have to live in New Zealand to really have access to them lol.

Return to “Polynesian Languages”