a list of Hawaiian words containing the letter T

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Boki
a list of Hawaiian words containing the letter T

Postby Boki » 2008-01-05, 6:27

this is a list of Hawaiian words containing the letter T. I have been studying Hawaiian for 15 years. These are not words exclusive to Niihau.these are words I have compiled from every island in the Hawaiian chain. whoever says that the Hawaiian language does not contain the letter T is either a liar or completely ignorant.

Ta'aao -
Taura - Kaula Island
Tahitiri
Taiana
Taimaro
Tahi-o-Paia/Rahaina - Hawaiian princess
Taimaro
Tairi - Tamehameha's war-god.
Taitiri
Taa ua
Tau-ai - Kauai
Ta'aau
Taaua - Name of a Hawaiian chief.
Tapuli - Queen of Ta-Umu-Arii
Taraiopu
Ta-Meha-Maru -
Taneoneo
Towaihae - Kowaihae
Ta-Umu-Arii (The Gentle Chief) - Kaumualii's real name
Ta-Hau-Ra-We - Kahoolawe
Teave - The eternal spirit, the creator
Tenui - Hawaiian Name
Toteta -
TUTUI - candlenut
Ua Taua - It is war!
Wahaura (Heaiau) - Red Mouth
Waiarua - Waialua
Waititi - Waikiki
Wauti - Paper mulberry

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-01-05, 6:29

Please do not spam in this forum.
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Mamo

Re: a list of Hawaiian words containing the letter T

Postby Mamo » 2008-01-05, 13:01

Boki wrote:this is a list of Hawaiian words containing the letter T. I have been studying Hawaiian for 15 years. These are not words exclusive to Niihau.these are words I have compiled from every island in the Hawaiian chain. whoever says that the Hawaiian language does not contain the letter T is either a liar or completely ignorant.

Ta'aao -
Taura - Kaula Island
Tahitiri
Taiana
Taimaro
Taimaro
Tairi - Tamehameha's war-god.
Taitiri
Taa ua
Tau-ai - Kauai
Ta'aau
Taaua - Name of a Hawaiian chief.
Taraiopu
Ta-Meha-Maru -
Taneoneo
Towaihae - Kowaihae
Ta-Hau-Ra-We - Kahoolawe
Teave - The eternal spirit, the creator
Tenui - Hawaiian Name
Toteta -
TUTUI - candlenut
Ua Taua - It is war!
Wahaura (Heaiau) - Red Mouth
Waiarua - Waialua
Waititi - Waikiki
Wauti - Paper mulberry

Na wai la i 'olelo 'a'ohe T ma ka 'olelo Hawai'i? Ma kau lopi i mawehe a'e ai he mau malama aku nei, ua wehewehe aku au ia 'oe he T no ko makou, a he K kekahi, aka, 'a'ole loli ka mana'o o ka 'olelo ke 'olelo 'ia ka T ma kahi o ke K, a 'a'ole no ho'i e 'oko'a ke puana 'ia ke K ma kahi o ka T. Eia hou, 'a'ohe mea nana i kukala a'e nei, e, 'o ka po'e Ni'ihau wale no ka i 'olelo me ka T. Nau kena i puana aku me ke kuhihewa. Ua kaulana loa ka po'e Ni'ihau i ke kama'ilio 'ana me ka T, aka, he 'ike 'ia no me kekahi mau manaleo hou aku, e la'a me ka po'e no kaupo, Maui a no Halawa, Moloka'i. Eia na'e, he kaka'ikahi wale no. E ho'opa'apa'a me a'u. 'O 'oe ke piholo i ke kai moana o ka na'aupo.

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2008-01-06, 23:42

Boki wrote:this is a list of Hawaiian words containing the letter T. I have been studying Hawaiian for 15 years. These are not words exclusive to Niihau.these are words I have compiled from every island in the Hawaiian chain. whoever says that the Hawaiian language does not contain the letter T is either a liar or completely ignorant.

You're obviously on a mission. And to me, it doesn't matter how long you've studied Hawaiian. I don't go around telling people that I have learned Hawaiian more than 30 years. Doesn't meant I'm an expert at it.

What "princess"? And those titles weren't use loosely as one may think.

Never heard of this one before unless she went by another name. But then again, they had multiple spouses so it's probably just a new one I've never heard of. Any sources?

Taraiopu

Hold on here. Where exactly did you see this written? I've never seen it written like this before.

What do you mean by "real" name? That Kaumualii actually wrote his name with dashes and capitalized it as you did? Or that he never even wrote the language?

Ta-Hau-Ra-We - Kahoolawe

Seriously you need to cite some sources. I'm not going to be surprised if it was a Haole that wrote these either.

he 'ike 'ia no me kekahi mau manaleo hou aku, e la'a me ka po'e no kaupo, Maui a no Halawa, Moloka'i.

Yeah, I've heard about these places too, but at least for Halawa, unfortunately no Hawaiian family lives there who have lived there prior to the tidal wave. Many of the families have moved to other parts of Molokai but today they don't speak Hawaiian so unfortunately, we can't hear them using the T.
Last edited by Nohola on 2008-01-06, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
He manao oiwi!

E hoi e pee i ke opu weuweu me he moho la. E ao o hai ka pua o ka mauu ia oe

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2008-01-06, 23:43

Mamo wrote:Na wai la i 'olelo 'a'ohe T ma ka 'olelo Hawai'i?

That's what I was going to write but realized he is on a mission and chose this forum to spread his propaganda and rather than focus on the pronunciation of the Hawaiian language, he is stressing the written language in order to compensate the lack of ability to properly produce Polynesian consonants.
He manao oiwi!

E hoi e pee i ke opu weuweu me he moho la. E ao o hai ka pua o ka mauu ia oe

doakes808

Postby doakes808 » 2017-02-21, 10:50

As being from these islands, and educated in the languages of Polynesia, I can assure you that there are far more words with the letter T, R, B, D, F, G, and possibly S. It all has to do with pronunciation, and the omission of sounds, as the writers and originators of the written Hawaiian language, wrote it for the English tongue and ear.

The languages in polynesia have zero resemblance to english, but then why can I as an english speaker, speak "exact" Hawaiian with "exact" English letters and a standard English accent. The language was written by English speakers to keep the sounds that could be said and heard with an English tongue and to omit the ones that were difficult. They stripped down the language to something less complicated to speak, hear, and translate.
Secondly, not as an aggressive statement/or as a statement of pity, just as fact: the spoken language was banned for 100 years. Also, as of 1900, the tribal population of the islands were at 30,000 separated across many islands. With such low numbers compared to 61,000 Japanese, 27,000 caucasian, 26,000 Chinese, a total 114,000 alone plus many more races such as Filipino who outnumbered the natives as well, the Indigenous tongue did not resemble the Native Language. My mother just 40 years ago was taught as a child not to speak Hawaiian because you are supposed to be like them if you want to survive in their world. Keep in mind this is in Hawaii. Further, back when numbers were around 30,000 missionaries were in charge, and during the ban of the language you would be going against the church and God to speak Hawaiian.
People are not realizing that the language known as "Hawaiian" today, resembles very little in terms of pronunciation. This changing of letters for the most part lay within the pronunciation and accenting on the letters/word.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”