My signature

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2007-10-27, 16:13

ego wrote:Is it possible that they aspirate the /t/ and /k/ because of English influence? Perhaps English is their mother tongue?

Yes, they do, or at least notice that with non-native speakers, but the sound is different with what I described. The TI almost sounded like a CH sound which I think what that person was trying to describe, and the KA/KO sound that I heard was described by my friend as a glottalization. The aspiration doesn't come from the lungs, but from the glottis. I told my friend it reminded me of my cats when they do a hiss and another sound that sounded like spitting.
He manao oiwi!

E hoi e pee i ke opu weuweu me he moho la. E ao o hai ka pua o ka mauu ia oe

ego

Postby ego » 2007-10-27, 16:30

I have heard that chi in a Samoan song, called Baby nofo maia. You can look for it and you'll hear this sound for sure

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2007-10-27, 19:01

ego wrote:I have heard that chi in a Samoan song, called Baby nofo maia. You can look for it and you'll hear this sound for sure

There's also an expression, if that's the correct term to use, in Hawaiian, but they spell it "tsa". It sounds like that, not so much like a CH sound. But apparently that's the only time you would hear it, in that expression.
He manao oiwi!

E hoi e pee i ke opu weuweu me he moho la. E ao o hai ka pua o ka mauu ia oe

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2007-10-27, 21:42

ego wrote:Is it possible that they aspirate the /t/ and /k/ because of English influence? Perhaps English is their mother tongue?

That is a possibility for some speakers. The two people being mentioned from the video, though, speak Hawaiian as a first language, and living on Ni'ihau, it was their primary means of communication. :)

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”