A little bit.
11%
Little to none.
50%

Total votes: 18

Koma
How well do you speak Hawaiian?

Postby Koma » 2007-03-28, 20:21

I don't speak Hawaiian at all except a few words.

Is it possible to take a college course in Hawaiian anywhere in the US other than Hawaii?
I live in the Philadelphia area. If there was a local college that taught Hawaiian I would be interested to know about it.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2007-03-29, 4:27

Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2007-03-29, 5:42

riki! You've come back :D

I'm looking forward to translations in Maori :D
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2007-03-29, 8:13

I've always been around ;) I've been watching that's all. I got sick of the Maori bashing that can take off in this place.

Nero

Postby Nero » 2007-03-29, 10:18

At its best, my Hawaiian was simple grammar and phrases. It's pretty bad now though :lol:

Koma

Mahalo

Postby Koma » 2007-03-29, 14:23

Well, mahalo everybody. I hope we can get a discussion going and keep this place interesting..

:thanks:

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2007-03-29, 17:28

riki wrote:I've always been around ;) I've been watching that's all. I got sick of the Maori bashing that can take off in this place.

Maori bashing? :?
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)

Koma

he`alele

Postby Koma » 2007-04-02, 19:18

I like this site:

today's word (he`alele)

Can be found here
http://www.travlang.com/wordofday/120.html

(that will always link to the same page)

The following link goes to whatever the word for the specific day is:

http://www.travlang.com/wordofday

Which is the same as the orginal link today April 2nd, but obviously will be different each day.
There are 210 pages altogether for this part of the site.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2007-04-02, 19:49

www.wehewehe.org is on of the best Online Dictionaries I've been to :D

Koma

Mahalo

Postby Koma » 2007-04-02, 20:07

Aleco wrote:www.wehewehe.org is on of the best Online Dictionaries I've been to :D

Looks good...

Mahalo nui loa

:)

Mamo

Re: he`alele

Postby Mamo » 2007-04-04, 5:44

Koma wrote:I like this site:

today's word (he`alele)

Can be found here
http://www.travlang.com/wordofday/120.html

(that will always link to the same page)

The following link goes to whatever the word for the specific day is:

http://www.travlang.com/wordofday

Which is the same as the orginal link today April 2nd, but obviously will be different each day.
There are 210 pages altogether for this part of the site.

Actually, the proper word is ha'alele (vt. to leave). He'alele seems to imply to me "flying bloody red stain."

Aleco wrote:www.wehewehe.org is on of the best Online Dictionaries I've been to

Aleco is right. Wehewehe.org is the best online Hawaiian dictionary at this time. What it does is search the three most authorative dictionaries on the Hawaiian language (1. The Hawaiian Dictionary by Elbert and Pukui; 2. The Andrews Dictionary; and 3. the Māmaka Kaiao, which is a modern dictionary). In addition, it searches the books Place Names of Hawai'i and Hawai'i Place names.

If you are looking for a Hawaiian word, then look to wehewehe.org. However, be careful to refrain from sources like the one you posted above since many carry misinformation in the form of spelling and grammar errors.

I'm sure that there are places that teach Hawaiian outside of Hawai'i, but I'm not sure where. If you're looking for a good beginning textbook for Hawaiian, I recommend Ka Lei Ha'aheo. There is also the Nā Kai 'Ewalu book series that takes learners from beginner level to intermediate. Also, if you want books in Hawaiian, go here http://ulukau.org/books_haw.php. And if you want text with audio in Hawaiian, go here http://hooilina.org/cgi-bin/journal?l=en

I've been very busy as of late, so I haven't had many chances to visit. I do plan to make a comeback though. :D

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2007-04-04, 11:45

Wow, Mamo's (almost) back :D I'm looking forward to it :D

Koma

next week

Postby Koma » 2007-04-06, 15:54

I plan to be back some time next week to respond further.

Aloha.

Koma

vocabulary

Postby Koma » 2007-04-17, 18:21

Well, lately, I have been trying to teach myself a little Hawaiian; since I don't know much I am starting with learning vocabulary more than learning the grammer. Once I have some vocabulary memorized I will start to look at the grammer. My only resources right now are a grammar book, a dictionary, a eight CDs.

Perhaps when I have learned something I will come back here to see if I can say a few things.

I hope that there will always be some interest here in Hawaiian.

Mamo

Re: vocabulary

Postby Mamo » 2007-04-18, 0:19

Koma wrote:Well, lately, I have been trying to teach myself a little Hawaiian; since I don't know much I am starting with learning vocabulary more than learning the grammer. Once I have some vocabulary memorized I will start to look at the grammer. My only resources right now are a grammar book, a dictionary, a eight CDs.

Perhaps when I have learned something I will come back here to see if I can say a few things.

I hope that there will always be some interest here in Hawaiian.

What grammar book and dictionary are you using? I would recommend that you use the Hawaiian Dictionary by Elbert and Pukui, and Hawaiian Grammar by Elbert and Pukui. Any other grammars and dictionaries would not be useful at this stage, especially the older ones which do not include markings for elongated vowels and glottal stops, sounds that are essential to the language.

I take it that the 8 cd's you're using are the Instant Immersion Hawaiian cd's. Indeed, the set may be helpful in conjunction with a Hawaiian language text book, but on its own it will not be much help in terms of assimilating many sentence patterns. I would recommend getting a language text book, too.

Koma

resources

Postby Koma » 2007-04-18, 19:28

Mahalo nui loa, Mamo

Yes I am using the instant immersion CDs; I find them good for practicing saying words
and to get an accurate pronunciation, although I am not always 100% sure of the difference
between a short vowel and a long vowel or how to pronounce an okina at the beginning of a word.
I know that both are important when one or both of them are the only thing that differentiates certain words.

The two books I have are
Elbert and Pukui's dictionary:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Pocket-Hawaii ... 68&sr=8-10

and

Ka Lei Ha'aheo by Alberta Pualani Hopkins:

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cf ... ting*title

Actually when I said "grammar book" I meant "textbook". I was thinking of it as a grammar book
because it explains the grammar, but obviously "textbook" is the correct word.

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2007-04-20, 2:58

Mahalo nui loa, Mamo

Yes I am using the instant immersion CDs; I find them good for practicing saying words
and to get an accurate pronunciation, although I am not always 100% sure of the difference
between a short vowel and a long vowel or how to pronounce an okina at the beginning of a word.
I know that both are important when one or both of them are the only thing that differentiates certain words.

The two books I have are
Elbert and Pukui's dictionary:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Pocket-Hawaii ... 68&sr=8-10

and

Ka Lei Ha'aheo by Alberta Pualani Hopkins:

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cf ... ting*title

Actually when I said "grammar book" I meant "textbook". I was thinking of it as a grammar book
because it explains the grammar, but obviously "textbook" is the correct word.

Ua hau‘oli ihola ku‘u na‘au i ka ‘ike ‘ana aku i kahi mea näna e koho pono ana i nä ke‘ehina küpono i mea e loa‘a ai ka mäkaukau ma ka ‘ölelo Hawai‘i. :)

The books that you have are great! The large Hawaiian Dictionary has much more entries than the small dictionary, but if you need to, you can search the large dictionary by means of wehewehe.org.

Long vowels are twice as long as short vowels in Hawaiian. It is difficult, however, to illustrate in writing rather than by example. That is why it is fortunate, as you pointed out already, that you have the Instant Immersion cd's. If you need more help with differentiating between the two, there are several audio files at this link along with text in the Hawaiian language http://hooilina.org/cgi-bin/journal?e=d-0journal--00-0-0-004-Document---0-1--1en-50---20-frameset-search-issue---001-0110escapewin&a=p&p=frameset&d=HASH0166acfd8ec6df2fa38fd161.4.3.4.

As for pronouncing the glottal stop when it is initial in a word, try to pronounce and listen to the sound of a non-initial glottal stop, and then try to replicate that in the initial position in the following format: 'a, 'e, 'i, 'o, 'u.
Also, you could search the website at the link above for words that begin with glottal stops and listen to the audio recording.

From my experience with English speakers, it may be slightly more difficult to restrain the pronounciation of an initial glottal stop in Hawaiian words beginning with vowels but not beginning with the glottal stop, such as a'a (which they may pronounce as 'a'a), etc.

Koma

How much Hawaiian do you know?

Postby Koma » 2007-04-21, 18:10

Maholo Mamo,

How well do you speak Hawaiian?
It goes without saying that Hawaiian is a difficult
language to learn because there are not a lot of cognates. Maybe I should focus more on the grammar.
Right now I am currently trying to learn Italian, it may be too difficult to learn both Italian and Hawaiian at the same time. As I said I would prefer to take a class, but I don't think that is possible here and I don't know anyone who speaks Hawaiian.

Nevertheless, I will continue to visit this place on a regular basis, just to stay motivated.

I would say that there are two reasons that I want to learn Hawaiian - one because it is truly a beautiful and poetic sounding language and because I like learning new langauges, in general. I find that learning other languages enriches my understanding of other peoples and cultures.

I have never been to Hawaii, but if I ever do go I would like to be able to speak the language.

Aloha,

Koma

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2007-04-21, 23:15

Aloha 'oe e Koma,

he aha kōu mana'o nō cognate? Nō ka mea, i kō'u mana'o, e pili ana i ka pili 'ana o nā hua'ōlelo i loko i nā 'ōlelo 'ē. Ina hiki mai ia 'oe e ho'omaopopo mai iā'u kōu mana'o o kēnā hua'ōlelo, he mea maika'i loa!

What do you mean by cognate? Because, I think it relates to the relationship of words between different languages. If you'd be able to explain to me your meaning for that word, that would be great!

'a 'ike hou! (kumu crozier says its a dialectal expression).

Koma

The meaning of cognate.

Postby Koma » 2007-04-23, 16:39

Well, what I mean by "cognate" is very easy. I can define it and I can give many examples.

According to the dictionary, cognates, are two people or two things that are related. A good example therefore of a cognate is the Italian word
"cognato" which means brother in law.

Two words that are either the same or similar in both meaning and either spelling or pronunciation are words that I would consider cognates.

For example, "montagna" is spelled differently in Italian, Portuguese and Spanish (and would be pronounced montanya using English/American spelling) but pronounced the same and mean "mountain" in all three languages.

In Hawaiian "home" is pronounced differently than English "home", although both mean the same thing.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”