Old Norse Translation

Moderator:Ashucky

baileyh1994
Old Norse Translation

Postby baileyh1994 » 2016-01-25, 21:22

Hello everyone. I have had a long time interest in Vikings, and would love to know what this sentence means. Can someone translate 'Warriors Suffer Their Pain Silently' into Old Norse please, as accurately as possible. Also could you give a breakdown of how its translated that way. Thanks for your help guys!

sa wulfs

Re: Old Norse Translation

Postby sa wulfs » 2016-01-27, 12:53

Perhaps Drengir bera harm þeirra í hljóði?

Drengir: nom. pl. of drengr, drængr, "warrior".
bera: 3rd person pl. indicative present tense of bera, "to bear".
harm: acc. sg. of harmr, "harm"
þeirra: gen. of þeir, "they"
í: preposition, "in"
hljóði: dat. sg. of hljóð, "silence"

The phrase is idiomatic in ON, I think, which is why I used harmr instead of the more specific verkr ("pain"). However, maybe Drengir bera verk þeirra í hljóði would work too. Or Drengir þola verk þeirra í hljóði, with þola, "endure, suffer".
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

baileyh1994

Postby baileyh1994 » 2016-01-29, 16:45

sa wulfs wrote:Perhaps Drengir bera harm þeirra í hljóði?

Drengir: nom. pl. of drengr, drængr, "warrior".
bera: 3rd person pl. indicative present tense of bera, "to bear".
harm: acc. sg. of harmr, "harm"
þeirra: gen. of þeir, "they"
í: preposition, "in"
hljóði: dat. sg. of hljóð, "silence"

The phrase is idiomatic in ON, I think, which is why I used harmr instead of the more specific verkr ("pain"). However, maybe Drengir bera verk þeirra í hljóði would work too. Or Drengir þola verk þeirra í hljóði, with þola, "endure, suffer".

I think the best one would be 'Drengir þola verk þeirra í hljóði'. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

dunkelwald

Postby dunkelwald » 2016-01-29, 18:31

You've got to use sinn, not þeirra. þeirra would indicate that they suffer someone else's pain.

I'm also not too sure about the choice of drengir. This word can mean 'warrior' in an appropriate context, but it often just refers to young (strong) male adults/adolescents in general (rarely used of women). Something like hermenn (lit. 'army men') or rekkar might be worth investigating.

I'd suggest something along the lines of Hermenn bera harm sinn í hljóði.

baileyh1994

Postby baileyh1994 » 2016-01-31, 19:53

dunkelwald wrote:You've got to use sinn, not þeirra. þeirra would indicate that they suffer someone else's pain.

I'm also not too sure about the choice of drengir. This word can mean 'warrior' in an appropriate context, but it often just refers to young (strong) male adults/adolescents in general (rarely used of women). Something like hermenn (lit. 'army men') or rekkar might be worth investigating.

I'd suggest something along the lines of Hermenn bera harm sinn í hljóði.

Thank you for your reply. Would be awesome to get as many peoples opinions as possible before I get this tattooed haha

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”