Thracian

Moderator:Ashucky

Trapy
Thracian

Postby Trapy » 2015-11-27, 4:29

Repository for Thracian. The reason I created his thread:

Génton - meat - wiki does not list "Jambon" from french as a possible related word. Jambon - ham a large cut of meat... Possibly similar in origin. Wiki lists Armenian to strike or Lithuanian to graze, but leaving this here so as to not discount a common origin word.

Wiki page:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thracian_language

23 words directly mentioned as Thracian in classical texts:
http://www.kroraina.com/thrac_lang/thrac_3.html

Speculative and reconstructed - 180 words
http://www.kroraina.com/thrac_lang/thrac_5.html
"and now every toilet will burn to ashes!""

Trapy

Re: Thracian

Postby Trapy » 2015-11-27, 6:00

Rhompháia- sword or spear. Thunderbolt (rofeia) in bulgarian. Stem rhom like rumperar (??) in Spanish to break. Thunderbolt = sky breaker.

Sica - dagger, like sickle

Ρομφάια, σικα

Kenthas - child, as in, kin, or from a kenning

Marka - marsh

Raskus - lively, agile (rascal)

Rumba - Rapids (rumble)

Thurd - to crash, to collapse (thud)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-11-27, 15:49

Trapy wrote:Génton - meat - wiki does not list "Jambon" from french as a possible related word.

Why would it? The origin of jambon is well established: it's from Late Latin gamba "hoof" (cf. Italian gamba "leg"), a derivative of Greek καμπή "bending, curved part".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-11-27, 21:11

linguoboy wrote:
Trapy wrote:Génton - meat - wiki does not list "Jambon" from french as a possible related word.

Why would it? The origin of jambon is well established: it's from Late Latin gamba "hoof" (cf. Italian gamba "leg"), a derivative of Greek καμπή "bending, curved part".

Well, they were listing less obvious references to more distant languages (Tocharian, Norwegian) and to less similar meanings, like to hack, so I found it odd that a rather something very close like Jambon, they went with Armenian.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-11-27, 23:32

Trapy wrote:Well, they were listing less obvious references to more distant languages (Tocharian, Norwegian) and to less similar meanings, like to hack, so I found it odd that a rather something very close like Jambon, they went with Armenian.

Who is "they"? What etymological citation for jambon are you referencing here?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-11-28, 1:21

linguoboy wrote:
Trapy wrote:Well, they were listing less obvious references to more distant languages (Tocharian, Norwegian) and to less similar meanings, like to hack, so I found it odd that a rather something very close like Jambon, they went with Armenian.

Who is "they"? What etymological citation for jambon are you referencing here?

They = Wikipedia editors. And Jambon is total speculation on my part, that they come from the same root.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-11-28, 3:01

Trapy wrote:They = Wikipedia editors. And Jambon is total speculation on my part, that they come from the same root.

That's not how historical reconstruction works. PIE *gʷʰento- "struck, cut" is the reconstructed root from which it is suggested that génton derives. Armenian is listed because it preserves a descendant of *gʷʰento-. This is SOP in Indo-European studies.

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-11-30, 1:54

Ah, I misunderstood the purpose of that side bar then. I had assumed it was giving Laymen examples, but that makes sense if it was showing historic evolution and divergence points instead. Still, the above are just speculation or entirely just for me to help temper knowing there is no relationship directly between them

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”