Translation

Moderator:kevin

macwilson
Translation

Postby macwilson » 2015-06-20, 10:24

' You will live forever in our hearts' Could someone please provide a gaelic translation.Could you confirm ' Thu gu siorraidh arainnn ar chridheach'

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Translation

Postby kevin » 2015-06-20, 23:30

I don't really have any Gaelic, but from what I can infer from Irish, this is most definitely wrong. How did you come up with it?

macwilson

Postby macwilson » 2015-06-21, 2:08

Hi Kevin, Thanks for replying,I went through a Gaelic dictionary looking at individual words, and tried to put it together for my late wife's headstone. Which is why I'd like to get it right before it gets cut out.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-06-21, 5:30

macwilson wrote:Hi Kevin, Thanks for replying,I went through a Gaelic dictionary looking at individual words, and tried to put it together for my late wife's headstone. Which is why I'd like to get it right before it gets cut out.

Yeah, no, that's not how foreign translation works.

If I may make a humble request? Pay a translator. Consider how much you're paying for the stone and the engraving. Why wouldn't you pay a fraction of that cost in order to have the correct translation on it? Actual speakers of the language who make a living from jobs like this will thank you. (She's writing about tattoos, but the underlying principles are identical.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Celtic Languages”