Desky Kernowek?

Moderator:kevin

Brus
Desky Kernowek?

Postby Brus » 2012-05-14, 14:11

Has anyone seen the new book Desky Kernowek: A complete guide to Cornish, by Nicholas Williams?

If so, opinions?

księżycowy

Re: Desky Kernowek?

Postby księżycowy » 2012-05-14, 15:09

I don't have the book, but you can look through a bit of it on Amazon.

Looks interesting, to say the least.

Brus

Postby Brus » 2012-05-14, 16:39

księżycowy wrote:I don't have the book, but you can look through a bit of it on Amazon.

Thanks. They must have just activated the "look-inside" feature. It wasn't working before.

Definitely looks comprehensive.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2012-05-14, 16:49

Have you heard of KDL? It's probably the best course there is for Cornish, and it's very comprehensive and completely free, unless you want corrections. I completed the first grade and about a fourth of the second, and I was really quite good at Cornish in a short time with this course. Unfortunately that was about 2 years or so ago, and I've forgotten almost everything. :(

(Un)fortunately, the course is for KK (otherwise known as Kernewek Kemmyn, and thus based on Middle Cornish), so that might be good or bad, depending on which orthography you prefer. Personally, KK is my favorite. ;)
Last edited by Lauren on 2012-05-16, 1:20, edited 1 time in total.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-05-14, 17:09

Hildakojon wrote:Hve you heard of KDL? It's probably the best course there is for Cornish, and it's very comprehensive and completely free, unless you want corrections. [...]
(Un)fortunately, the course is for KK (otherwise known as Kernewek Kemmyn, and thus based on Middle Cornish), so that might be good or bad, depending on which orthography you prefer. Personally, KK is my favorite. ;)

I was thinking of using the same course myself.

I haven't read up on all of the orthographies, and I figure it doesn't really matter which I learn.

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2012-05-15, 23:52

Hildakojon wrote:Hve you heard of KDL? ...

Hi, sorry to interrupt, I was just skulking around on the celtic forum, and I'm not even learning Cornish, but I had a look at that link and that course looks amazing (hidden advantages of combining the fora, there you go)! I may well learn Cornish just because of it. I wish Irish had as comprehensive and user-friendly course available for free.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2012-05-16, 1:15

ciaran1212 wrote:
Hildakojon wrote:Hve you heard of KDL? ...

Hi, sorry to interrupt, I was just skulking around on the celtic forum, and I'm not even learning Cornish, but I had a look at that link and that course looks amazing (hidden advantages of combining the fora, there you go)! I may well learn Cornish just because of it. I wish Irish had as comprehensive and user-friendly course available for free.

It is an amazing course. I wish every language had one like it. :D
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Lur

Postby Lur » 2012-05-17, 15:10

Hildakojon wrote:(Un)fortunately, the course is for KK (otherwise known as Kernewek Kemmyn, and thus based on Middle Cornish), so that might be good or bad, depending on which orthography you prefer. Personally, KK is my favorite. ;)

Do you know how different is that orthography to the new one?

I've read heavy criticism of all the orthographies. It confuses me.
Last edited by Lur on 2012-05-17, 20:52, edited 2 times in total.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-05-17, 15:57

Luke wrote:Do you know how different is that orthography to the new one?

I wondered that myself, actually.

morlader

Postby morlader » 2012-06-09, 23:31

Desky Kernowek is a very good coursebook and is up to date. KDL is good but it's twenty years old and doesn't reflect research done since into the language. But it's a good base from which to start.

KDL is in Kemmyn and Desky Kernowek is in KS, both of which are very close to the new Standard Written Form (SWF). There are still multiple orthographies in Cornish but the situation is getting better! No matter which orthography you use to learn from, you will become familiar with them all through seeing them used - no single orthography dominates.
An lavar coth yw lavar gwir:
Na vedn nevra dos vas a davas re hir;
Bes den heb tavas a gollas y dir.
[flag=]kw[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-06-10, 0:39

Good to know, thanks! :)

Daionii

Postby Daionii » 2012-08-27, 6:14

This book looks really good, it'll certainly have a place on my Christmas list ;)

Return to “Celtic Languages”