Irish pronunciation

Moderator:kevin

księżycowy
Re: Learning to read

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-13, 11:17

What are you using to learn it? Just reading materials?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-11-13, 17:21

trliber wrote:I'm starting to learn Irish and I expect learning to read is maybe one of the most difficult aspects of this language.

I think listening comprehension is much more difficult, but I guess it depends what you find challenging.

trliber wrote:Can anyone offer good websites as to pronunciation rules, etc.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_orthography

I'm not exactly sure what dialect this represents; it seems to be a sort of generic Connacht, so I think it might be an example of the so-called Lárchanúint, an attempt to fashion a "neutral" Irish pronunciation for paedagogical purposes.

trliber wrote:I'm having a hard time finding clear explanations. Usually I just guess when I read a new Irish word, which is probably not the best approach

Once you get mispronunciations stuck in your head, it can be hard to shake them.

I'm not sure how best you learn. If you're an audial learner, try http://www.abair.ie. If you type in an Irish word, it will give an (approximate) pronunciation in Ulster dialect. Those who have used it tell me it's pretty accurate.

If, like me, you do best by learning phonological rules, then you need a copy of Ó Siadhail's Modern Irish. It's clear, comprehensive, and it covers all dialects. But if you're not comfortable with linguistic jargon, it may be impenetrable to you. In the same vein, there are also comprehensive descriptions of individual dialects.

Since I'm learning West Muskerry, I use Ó Cuív's 1968 study of that dialect for exceptions which Ó Siadhail's book doesn't cover. David Webb also maintains an extensive online Dictionary of Cork Irish which gives pronunciation information in IPA. There might be similar resources for other dialects, but I haven't made a point of searching them out.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-13, 18:19

The textbook Learning Irish also has a great section in the back that looks at connecting spelling with pronunciation. That's specifically for Connemara Irish though.

Don't sure what dialect you're trying to learn.

DelBoy
Location:i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2011-11-19, 14:33

linguoboy wrote:
I'm not sure how best you learn. If you're an audial learner, try http://www.abair.ie. If you type in an Irish word, it will give an (approximate) pronunciation in Ulster dialect. Those who have used it tell me it's pretty accurate.

Tá sé sin iontach maith! Níor fhaca mé ríomh é! Beidh an-spraoi agam leis sin :mrgreen:
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

Return to “Celtic Languages”