Afon-abona vowel length

Moderator:kevin

IuliaPyrrha
Afon-abona vowel length

Postby IuliaPyrrha » 2011-11-06, 0:57

Hello, I'm not a Welsh speaker, but I've got a Welsh linguistics question: If I understand it correctly, the Welsh word for river is afon (whence every other river in England seems to be called Avon), which in term derives from the Brythonic abona. Now I was wondering about the length of the vowel o. On the internet I found various bits of more or less useful information, according to which it seems that it is important whether a syllable is stressed or not, and also whether it is final or not, and I'm just not sure whether this would count as final since it dropped the ending, so I'd be grateful for any information.

(Background of the question: I'm currently living in Bristol. Now in the area of the modern Bristol suburb Sea Mills there used to be a Roman port of the name Abona, which is quite obviously derived from the Celtic-Brythonic word, and I was wondering how to stress that. Latin stresses the paenultimate if long, but in a Celtic loanword the vowel length will obviously be related to/derived from the vowel length in the original language.)
Last edited by IuliaPyrrha on 2011-11-07, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Re: Afon-abona vowel length

Postby linguoboy » 2011-11-07, 18:47

Short in both languages. Proto-Celtic lacked *ō (although West Brythonic developed *ɔ̄ from earlier *ā; the subsequent Welsh development is /aw/ in stressed syllables and *ɔ in unstressed syllables, generally yielding modern Welsh /o/ ). The modern pronunciation of afon is ['avɔn].

Late Brythonic (c400 CE) had penultimate stress, although I'm not sure exactly how far back this can be traced.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

IuliaPyrrha

Postby IuliaPyrrha » 2011-11-07, 22:54

Cool, thanks! So Brythonic would probably have had a short, but stressed o, with the stress shifted to the initial a later on after the final a had been dropped?
For Latin purposes, I live prope Ábonam then, I guess. Thank you for the info!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-11-07, 23:05

IuliaPyrrha wrote:Cool, thanks! So Brythonic would probably have had a short, but stressed o, with the stress shifted to the initial a later on after the final a had been dropped?

According to the best of our ability to reconstruct the historical developments, that's exactly what happened.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

IuliaPyrrha

Postby IuliaPyrrha » 2011-11-08, 22:50

Thanks again! That answers my question!

Return to “Celtic Languages”