księżyc - Gaelainn

Moderator:kevin

linguoboy
Re: księży - Gaeilge

Postby linguoboy » 2011-12-12, 22:14

księżycowy wrote:As I said before I'll be back in a few days (probably about a week) with more exercises.

Nó dhá sheachtain...
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-12-12, 22:20

Might be. :P

I'm still here guys, it's just that some stuff came up this week(end), so I haven't gotten a chance to really dive into lesson 4 yet. Hopefully tomorrow. At any rate I'll post something tomorrow.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-12-12, 22:23

księżycowy wrote:I'm still here guys, it's just that some stuff came up this week(end), so I haven't gotten a chance to really dive into lesson 4 yet. Hopefully tomorrow. At any rate I'll post something tomorrow.

Cad faoi atá Ceacht a Ceathair?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-12-12, 22:26

What are you asking? (I understand the Irish . . . . I think . . . You're asking what lesson 4 is?)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-12-12, 22:42

księżycowy wrote:What are you asking? (I understand the Irish . . . . I think . . . You're asking what lesson 4 is?)

Cad faoi atá Ceacht a Ceathair?
what under.3SG.M is lesson NUMB four?
"What is Lesson 4 about?"

Another way to say this would be "Cad leis a bhaineann Ceacht a Ceathair?"

(I'm also not sure if Ó Siadhail's book prefers + prep to cad + prep.)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-12-12, 22:50

Ah! "About," that makes much more sense.

It's about:
- Vocative Particle
- Gender of nouns (endings = what gender)
- Adjectives
- Lenition of slender 'l' and 'n'

Nothing difficult. I'm only going to glance at the part on noun gender (the stuff about endings that is), as the dictionaries (and glossary/word lists in LI) all have gender marked anyway.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-12-13, 20:32

Ok, here are the exercises to lesson 4:

1. Tá go leor tíreacha ar an mapa.
2. A Cháit, cá bhfuil Sasana?
3. Tá fuinneoig mhór ansin, agus tá fuinneoig dheas eile anseo.
4. Tá sé go deas anois. Tá sé go hálainn.
5. Tá fear go maith ansin, agus tá bean mhaith freisin.
6. Tá Gaeilge mhaith anseo. Níl coláiste ar chor ar bith ann.
7. A Dhiarmaid, tá seomra mór ansin, agus tá cláirseach bhreá freisin.
8. Tá fuinneoig dheas mhór anseo.
9. Tá go leor tíreacha agus náisiúin ann.
10. B'fhéidir go bean Pháidin agus fear Bhrid anseo.
11. Tá báisteach agus fuacht ann.
12. Tá bean dheas ann, agus sagart, feilméara mór, agus Éireannach ard anseo.
13. Tá Gaeltacht mhór anseo, ar aon chaoi.
14. Tá áit bhreá anseo, agus b'fhéidir go ceanna eile ansin.
15. Tá muid anseo aríst. Tá sé go hiontach.

Notes:
-In sentence #3, is that the right placement of fuinneoig dheas eile? I know that eile comes after the noun, like in the exercises from the previous lessons, but how do adjectives play into it. My placement seems right, based upon my reading of the lesson.

- I keep forgetting ann in sentences like #11, or #9, etc. But luckily I remembered after I started going. :P

- Is # 14 right? They defined ceanna as "one" (among other things), and the sentence is suppose to mean "There is a nice place here and perhaps there is another one there."

I also have a question about adjectives in general as well:
The lesson explains that after feminine nouns adjectives are lenited, and any with go before them can drop the go.
Thus, is the following sentence right-
Tá bean mhór - 'There is a big woman'
Or is that only for sentences like -
Tá bean mhór anseo - 'The big woman is here.'
The explanation was a bit lacking.

I'll be back in about a week with the next lesson. Things will slow down a bit, as this is new material (I was a bit faster with the first 2 lessons, as I had been looking at them off and on for quite a while), but I'll try my hardest to stay on a weekly basis.

DelBoy
Location:i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2011-12-15, 23:33

księżycowy wrote:Ok, here are the exercises to lesson 4:

1. Tá go leor tíreacha ar an mapa.

this is fine, just wanted to point out that outside of Conamara (or just in the standard?) you'll see tíortha as the plural of tír.

3. Tá fuinneoig mhór ansin, agus tá fuinneoig dheas eile anseo.

I was going to correct your fuinneoig to fuinneog but I've done my research and this seems to be dialectal again... Fun!

When the adjective is qualifying the noun directly like this you don't need the go.

10. B'fhéidir go bhfuil bean Pháidin agus fear Bhrid anseo.

You forgot the verb here.

12. Tá bean dheas ann, agus () sagart, feilméara mór, agus Éireannach ard anseo.

don't forget your DeNTaLS rule here - don't lenite D, T or S after D, N, T, L or S -> bean deas.
Also, I guess this is a matter of style, but I think it would sound much better with another there.

14. Tá áit bhreá anseo, agus b'fhéidir go bhfuil ceanna* eile ansin.

forgot the verb again.
*I'm not sure whether this is a typo, a misspelling, or dialectal... Outside of Conamara, at least, the word is ceann.

Notes:
-In sentence #3, is that the right placement of fuinneoig dheas eile? I know that eile comes after the noun, like in the exercises from the previous lessons, but how do adjectives play into it. My placement seems right, based upon my reading of the lesson.

Yes, the placement is correct. Eile is also an adjective, so I guess you're asking about the order of adjectives when there are more than one? I couldn't tell you a rule for this, and I don't think you need to worry about that just yet - you'll probably pick it up from reading more. But I think you're safe always putting eile at the end.

- Is # 14 right? They defined ceanna as "one" (among other things), and the sentence is suppose to mean "There is a nice place here and perhaps there is another one there."

Yep, it's correct - ceann(a) is a very handy word to know!

I also have a question about adjectives in general as well:
The lesson explains that after feminine nouns adjectives are lenited, and any with go before them can drop the go.
Thus, is the following sentence right-
Tá bean mhór - 'There is a big woman'
Or is that only for sentences like -
Tá bean mhór anseo - 'The big woman is here.'
The explanation was a bit lacking.

Well, the first sentence is incorrect, but not because of the adjective... you've left out your ann - "Tá bean mhór ann" - "there is a big woman"
(what you have is "A big woman is")

I would refine the explanation from the book to say that when an adjective is directly qualifying a noun then you don't use go, and you lenite adjectives after feminine nouns, but bear in mind the DeNTaLS rule.

I'll be back in about a week with the next lesson. Things will slow down a bit, as this is new material (I was a bit faster with the first 2 lessons, as I had been looking at them off and on for quite a while), but I'll try my hardest to stay on a weekly basis.

Cúla búla - slán go fóill!
:D
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-12-16, 11:23

DelBoy wrote:

When the adjective is qualifying the noun directly like this you don't need the go.

Notes:

Yes, the placement is correct. Eile is also an adjective, so I guess you're asking about the order of adjectives when there are more than one? I couldn't tell you a rule for this, and I don't think you need to worry about that just yet - you'll probably pick it up from reading more. But I think you're safe always putting eile at the end.

Yeah, that's what I thought as far as the placement of adjectives.
As far as dropping the go, LI only says something about dropping it after feminine nouns, not macsuline. :hmm:

10. B'fhéidir go bhfuil bean Pháidin agus fear Bhrid anseo.

You forgot the verb here.

B'fhéidir go/nach was just introduced as a vocabulary item, so I wasn't sure how to use it. I didn't know if it was a verb, needed a verb, or whatever. :?

12. Tá bean dheas ann, agus () sagart, feilméara mór, agus Éireannach ard anseo.

don't forget your DeNTaLS rule here - don't lenite D, T or S after D, N, T, L or S -> bean deas.
Also, I guess this is a matter of style, but I think it would sound much better with another there.

As LI hasn't told me anything about the DeNTaLs rule yet, I've been just leniting everything. :whistle:

Well, the first sentence is incorrect, but not because of the adjective... you've left out your ann - "Tá bean mhór ann" - "there is a big woman"
(what you have is "A big woman is")

I would refine the explanation from the book to say that when an adjective is directly qualifying a noun then you don't use go, and you lenite adjectives after feminine nouns, but bear in mind the DeNTaLS rule.

Whoops on the ann. Pesky, pesky word! :P
And thanks for the further explanation. And I'll start working on those DeNTaLs. :wink:

Oh, and yes, those where all dialectal spellings.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-12-28, 13:07

Bhoil, last week was shot, and this week isn't looking much better. Damn you holidays! *shakes fist* :P
I'll use this week as a review week I think. That way I'm still working on something.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-01-16, 19:41

Well, TAC/WAC has come along again. I've added Irish to my TAC list, but I'll be focusing on WAC (French & Greek) for the next few months. I'll try my hardest to keep Irish afloat in the meantime, but posts will probably get even more erratic then they've been.

In the meantime, I'll be working on actually memorizing some of the vocabulary I've learned thus far.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-02-22, 18:06

Wow, it's been over a year since I've posted here.

I'm going to at least start reconstructing my Anki deck for Irish. I'll see if I can fit more in, but at the very least I'll do Anki and (slowly?) review this thread. My main foci will remain French and Classical Greek.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-02-22, 18:12

If only we can get kevin posting again we might have critical mass for an duine i mo dhiaidh.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-02-22, 18:18

That would be awesome! :yep:

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2013-02-22, 18:37

linguoboy wrote:If only we can get kevin posting again we might have critical mass for an duine i mo dhiaidh.

Which, by the way, I was the last to post on. Anyone feel like tell us about a crazy dream they had?*

*Which is what my "duine i mo dhiadh" question was.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2013-02-22, 19:32

linguoboy wrote:If only we can get kevin posting again we might have critical mass for an duine i mo dhiaidh.

It's not like I've disappeared from the forum or anything... In fact I think I have already invested a lot more time than you could expect considering that I was quite clear about not being really serious about Irish at this point. I'll continue with the translations when I find the time to do so.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-02-22, 19:38

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2013-02-22, 19:46

kevin wrote:

It's not like I've disappeared from the forum or anything... In fact I think I have already invested a lot more time than you could expect considering that I was quite clear about not being really serious about Irish at this point. I'll continue with the translations when I find the time to do so.

We did say that we would understand if he didn't have time to keep it up linguoboy.... (or at least I did)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-02-22, 19:54

Ciarán12 wrote:We did say that we would understand if he didn't have time to keep it up linguoboy.... (or at least I did)

The Irish side of my heritage understands completely. The Prussian side is appalled by such a lack of discipline.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-04-06, 22:33

As Linguoboy points out quite a bit, using the language is the only way to get used to it's quirky ways and to learn it effectively. Mistakes and all. On that note, I wanted to check if my two sentences in the Four Language Answer-Ask Game are right, ok-ish, or way off base. :P

1) Níl, níl dúlagar orm, ach tá dúlagar ar mo chara.

2) An bhfuil eacstaiseach ort?

I also hope to start writing various things in here soon. :wink:
I was going to use Lang8, but this thread and sub-forum need some love too. Lang8 can be for other languages.

Return to “Celtic Languages”