[Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

MacBayne
Posts: 5
Joined: 2011-09-07, 17:45
Real Name: Scott MacGregor
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Need some help with translation for tattoo... !!

Postby MacBayne » 2011-09-19, 5:37

thanks for all the judgment. my father passed away suddenly and I was looking for some translation for his service (and perhaps a memorial tattoo).

księżycowy
Posts: 8292
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Need some help with translation for tattoo... !!

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-19, 11:12

I hardly knew the circumstances of your personal translation. Nor was I judging anyone really. It's just a shame people wouldn't learn the language.

Plus, as Gaelg already pointed out, there really aren't native (or even advanced) speakers around Unilang much anymore. You might have better luck elsewhere.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19117
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Need some help with translation for tattoo... !!

Postby linguoboy » 2011-09-19, 12:51

MacBayne wrote:thanks for all the judgment. my father passed away suddenly and I was looking for some translation for his service (and perhaps a memorial tattoo).

As Gaelg said, "if the cause is so important pay for it". Or is that an expenditure your father would've disapproved of?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

MacBayne
Posts: 5
Joined: 2011-09-07, 17:45
Real Name: Scott MacGregor
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Need some help with translation for tattoo... !!

Postby MacBayne » 2011-09-21, 2:13

It is not about paying for it or lack of interest in the language - quite the opposite. time was of the essence for the service.

what I was thinking is that there may be a community of scots and scots descendants who may help each other. instead, this process made me feel like - to some - I was somehow unworthy of help because i have not found the time learn the language myself.

MacBayne
Posts: 5
Joined: 2011-09-07, 17:45
Real Name: Scott MacGregor
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Need some help with translation for tattoo... !!

Postby MacBayne » 2011-09-21, 3:18

linguoboy wrote:
MacBayne wrote:thanks for all the judgment. my father passed away suddenly and I was looking for some translation for his service (and perhaps a memorial tattoo).

As Gaelg said, "if the cause is so important pay for it". Or is that an expenditure your father would've disapproved of?


I really hope that I have not gotten the proper context of this last statement due to the electronic medium. But if you meant this as sarcasm, then shame on you...that is pretty cruel.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19117
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Need some help with translation for tattoo... !!

Postby linguoboy » 2011-09-21, 3:54

MacBayne wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
MacBayne wrote:thanks for all the judgment. my father passed away suddenly and I was looking for some translation for his service (and perhaps a memorial tattoo).

As Gaelg said, "if the cause is so important pay for it". Or is that an expenditure your father would've disapproved of?

I really hope that I have not gotten the proper context of this last statement due to the electronic medium. But if you meant this as sarcasm, then shame on you...that is pretty cruel.

I didn't mean that sarcastically. The only explanation I can comprehend for not paying a professional for their expertise in a case like this is that it would somehow contravene your father's expressed wishes, so that by doing so you would be showing him disrespect.

For example, if my father had said he didn't want fresh flowers at his funeral because it's a waste of money but grudgingly accepted that donated flowers would be okay, then I can see asking people (albeit not complete strangers) for donations of flowers. Otherwise, if it were important to have flowers I would pay a florist, and if it weren't I wouldn't.

Is that any clearer?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy
Posts: 8292
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Need some help with translation for tattoo... !!

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-21, 10:18

MacBayne wrote:what I was thinking is that there may be a community of scots and scots descendants who may help each other. instead, this process made me feel like - to some - I was somehow unworthy of help because i have not found the time learn the language myself.

Oh, there is. Just a very small group here. Most of which wouldn't know where to begin with translating most of the stuff that is asked of them (not to belittle their abilities with the language).
And also, this is hardly anything personal. It's also the fact that so many people stop by just for a translation, which can wear on you (of which I'm really just assuming, based on what Gaelg said). Plus there's really no advanced/native speakers to guide people (translation seekers, nor learners), as has already been said.
I'm sure if anyone knew of any other type of help they could give, they would. We're not out to put people off. Sorry if it seemed that way to you.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19117
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Scottish Gaelic translation help please?

Postby linguoboy » 2011-09-29, 2:07

Someone has asked me how to say "Welcome to France". Would this be ""Fàilte gun Fhraing" or "Fàilte gus an Fhraing"? Or is the difference dialectal?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Somhairle
Posts: 3
Joined: 2011-10-09, 16:14
Real Name: Somhairle
Gender: male
Location: Alness
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Re: Scottish Gaelic translation help please?

Postby Somhairle » 2011-10-16, 21:16

For that first person there the translation of "God is Light" is:
"Se Dia Solas" or "Se Solas a th'ann/tha ann an Dia"

For the second person you would probably use both, depending on the sentence you are using it in.

Somhairle
Posts: 3
Joined: 2011-10-09, 16:14
Real Name: Somhairle
Gender: male
Location: Alness
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Re: Translate " half of a whole. Forever one soul." in Gaelic

Postby Somhairle » 2011-10-16, 21:20

The translation of that is:
"Leth de slan. Gu brath aon anam."

Somhairle
Posts: 3
Joined: 2011-10-09, 16:14
Real Name: Somhairle
Gender: male
Location: Alness
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Re: Firefighter Translation

Postby Somhairle » 2011-10-16, 21:31

1. Everyone Comes Home - "A h-uile duine a' tighinn dhachaigh."
2. Brothers Above All - "Brathraichean gu h-a (hat on the a) rd Uile"
3. Two in, Two Out - "Dha a-staigh, dha a-mach"
4. Bless My Children And My Mate - "Beannaich mo clann agus mo mairist"
5. Honor - "Onor" (I think).
6. Valor - "Euchd"
7. Dedication - "Coisrigeadh"
8. Service - "Obair"

Phew!

User avatar
Gaelg
Posts: 484
Joined: 2008-07-10, 15:59
Real Name: Allan
Gender: male
Location: Ann an Dùn Èideann, meadhan a' bhaile.
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)
Contact:

Re: Scottish Gaelic translation help please?

Postby Gaelg » 2011-12-04, 19:11

linguoboy wrote:Someone has asked me how to say "Welcome to France". Would this be ""Fàilte gun Fhraing" or "Fàilte gus an Fhraing"? Or is the difference dialectal?


Fàitle don Fhraing no Fàilte dhan Fhraing (the don form is a higher register use, however in today's Gaelic they are interchangeable)

overrated13
Posts: 2
Joined: 2012-01-24, 16:14
Real Name: Tanner Kirkpatrick
Gender: male
Location: Prince George
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Need some help with translation for tattoo... !!

Postby overrated13 » 2012-01-24, 16:18

I want to get a tattoo that shows my personality and my heritage. I want to know the pronunciation and the spelling of "Life is a Candle in The Wind" in Gaelic (Irish)...someone please help

Ch0sen
Posts: 1
Joined: 2012-01-25, 3:43

Translation request

Postby Ch0sen » 2012-01-25, 3:49

I know there are a lot of requests for translations here and I just want to thank you all in advance for your help.

Can you please translate "may the stars always shine brightly for you"

I am open to translations that are close to this that relate to bright stars as well

Thanks again for your help.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19117
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Need some help with translation for tattoo... !!

Postby linguoboy » 2012-01-25, 16:56

overrated13 wrote:I want to get a tattoo that shows my personality and my heritage. I want to know the pronunciation and the spelling of "Life is a Candle in The Wind" in Gaelic (Irish)...someone please help

I've provided an answer to your question in the Irish Gaelic forum: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=36138.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

uncledude
Posts: 1
Joined: 2012-05-03, 12:49
Real Name: Jeffrey S Egbert
Gender: male
Location: Shepherdsville
Country: US United States (United States)

Need help with translation for a tattoo

Postby uncledude » 2012-05-03, 12:54

I have Scottish ancestry and am looking to translate the phrase "a father's love is forever" to Scottish Gaelic for a tattoo. A cursory search came up with "is é a athar grádh éigríoch" Any help is greatly appreciated.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19117
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Need help with translation for a tattoo

Postby linguoboy » 2012-05-03, 14:51

That looks like a bad machine translation, and in to Irish Gaelic to boot. If you don't get a response here from a Gaelic-speaker, you might want to try messaging one of them directly.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
Sectori
Posts: 675
Joined: 2006-04-06, 14:12
Gender: male
Location: Eilean a’ Cheò
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Re: [Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

Postby Sectori » 2012-06-07, 15:49

Random question that's been bugging me for a while now: how do you say "werewolf" in Scottish Gaelic? It's not in my dictionary nor any of the places I know to look online, and I keep forgetting to ask my teacher during the phone tutorials.
tha dannsa nad ghluasadan,
’s bàrdachd neònach air cùl do bhruidhinn,
anns na faclan nach abair thu idir.

User avatar
ceid donn
Posts: 1876
Joined: 2008-02-15, 0:58
Real Name: Céid
Gender: female
Contact:

Re: [Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

Postby ceid donn » 2012-06-08, 22:33

I honestly have no idea. Your SMO instructor might know. Werewolves aren't part of traditional Scottish folklore, to my knowledge, and so the word would need to be more recently invented or imported.

Someone in the word game offered "conriocht" for the Irish word for werewolf, and that appears to literally mean "wolf-form." I can't find anything that corresponds with that either in Scottish Gaelic.

User avatar
Sectori
Posts: 675
Joined: 2006-04-06, 14:12
Gender: male
Location: Eilean a’ Cheò
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Re: [Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

Postby Sectori » 2012-06-09, 18:24

I'll try to remember to ask on Monday, then, and see what he says.
tha dannsa nad ghluasadan,
’s bàrdachd neònach air cùl do bhruidhinn,
anns na faclan nach abair thu idir.


Return to “Celtic Languages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests