Questions/Help

księżycowy
Questions/Help

Postby księżycowy » 2012-06-20, 12:21

Want to ask a question? Do you feel it's a small question not worthy of it's own individual thread? Then you've come to the right place!

Need to get some help of any kind, such as picking out a language, how to get resources, learning certain things, etc? Then, again, you've come to the right place!

Ask your minor questions and/or seek/give help here!

Lauren

Re: Questions/Help

Postby Lauren » 2012-09-05, 20:11

The same question as on the NAIL forum: Which CSAIL languages do you think have the most resources available? I think Nahuatl, Yucatec Mayan, Quechua, and Guarani do, in no specific order.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-09-05, 23:19

You could be right. Personally I find this a bit harder to answer, as I don't have a working knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese.

But, for English only resources, I'd say Nahuatl hands down. Then Quechua. Then Guarani, Mayan, and Aymara.

Daionii

Mapuche/Mapudungun

Postby Daionii » 2013-05-16, 11:00

Does anyone know of any English resources for Mapuche/Mapudungun?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-05-16, 11:45

Unfortunately I don't know of any.

Daionii

Postby Daionii » 2013-05-16, 11:49

(Thanks for moving the thread :) Sorry I just completely missed this one!)
It's unfortunate, it seems like such a wonderful language. Maybe I should go for a more widely-spoken one! I don't suppose you/anybody knows what indigenous languages are spoken in Chubut? I read about Tehuelche but it seems to only have a handful of speakers left.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-05-16, 12:11

Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of that region really. The main South American languages I'm familiar with (more like flirted with) are Quechua, Aymara, Ticuna, and Guarani. None of which are really spoken in Argentina (with the exception of a small bit of Quechua and Guarani)

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-05-16, 16:06

I have several things for Mapudungun. :D I was once interest in it, mainly because it is thought to be an isolate, and has polypersonal agreement. The only thing I have in English is a grammar, but it is over 600 long. It is in PDF form, so I can send it to you if you'd like. :)
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-05-18, 7:33

I knew a guy from Chile on a forum who was learning Mapudungun but I hated the guy so I didn't ask him for anything :para:
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-07-22, 16:35

Most likely I'll start something other than Nahuatl - most likely Mapudungun, Yucatec Maya, Aymara, or something Andean if I can get my hands on it.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-22, 16:49

Giving up on Nahuatl, or just looking to do two CSAILs?

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-07-23, 0:13

księżycowy wrote:Giving up on Nahuatl, or just looking to do two CSAILs?

Two, assuming I haven't lost interest by then. I rather like Nahuatl.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-23, 0:21

Cool. At the moment I'm tossing around the idea of picking one up again. Either that or a NAIL.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-07-23, 4:03

księżycowy wrote:Cool. At the moment I'm tossing around the idea of picking one up again. Either that or a NAIL.

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a NAIL. The materials available seem a little less sparse than for CSAILs.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-23, 11:30

At the moment it's between Aymara, Mayan (Kaqchikel), Mohawk, Shuswap, Mohegan or Iñupiaq.

I should also note, before I get anyone's hopes up too high, that by "start" I mean in a few months. I want to finish off my Hebrew textbook and get either my French or German back up to a working level first. (Most likely French) I'm eying for starting one around November (Powwow time). I'm only doing one language at a time for now.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-24, 10:32

Or I suppose I could go back to Lakota. :hmm: So many choices. :P

hrhenry

Postby hrhenry » 2013-07-24, 13:19

księżycowy wrote:... I'm eying for starting one around November (Powwow time).

The way this summer seems to be flying by, November will be here in no time.

Since you're combining both North and Central/South American for the powwow, I'll probably just continue with Ojibwe. It's slow going for me anyway. :-)

R.
==
See my language-learning progress at http://languagehopper.blogspot.com (focusing on Turkçe).
Other language blogs:
Ojibwemowin: http://indoojibwem.blogspot.com
Piemontèis: http://elmepiemonteis.blogspot.com

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-24, 14:15

hrhenry wrote:The way this summer seems to be flying by, November will be here in no time.

I know. It seems like the summer has been slipping right by.

Tlequiyahuitl

Postby Tlequiyahuitl » 2013-08-18, 0:49

I have a question about encoding entire sentences or clauses as pronouns in Nahuatl. If somebody said, "Ca chichiltic in eztli", and you knew that, would you be able to reply "Nicmati (on)" or would you have to repeat the sentence, saying something like "Nicmati in chichiltic in eztli"? My grammar's probably a bit off so I apologize.

Also, when would you reply with "ca quemah/ahmo" and when with simply "quemah/ahmo"?

By the way, do you think people would understand if shorthand was used for Nahuatl books, so that "An Introduction to Classical Nahuatl" just became ICL followed by the author, either L(auney)/M(acKay) or JR(ichard)A(ndrews)? The book I use is ICL L/M for the record.
Quin onihuallah. ZBB: LeCiagoPanda
Native: [flag]en[/flag] Intermediate: [flag]fr[/flag]
Learning: Classical Nahuatl [flag]it[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag]
Of interest: [flag]iu[/flag] [flag]cr[/flag] [flag]sa[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag]

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-08-20, 2:39

Tlequiyahuitl wrote:I have a question about encoding entire sentences or clauses as pronouns in Nahuatl. If somebody said, "Ca chichiltic in eztli", and you knew that, would you be able to reply "Nicmati (on)" or would you have to repeat the sentence, saying something like "Nicmati in chichiltic in eztli"? My grammar's probably a bit off so I apologize.

Also, when would you reply with "ca quemah/ahmo" and when with simply "quemah/ahmo"?
I don't know much about questions; sorry. This example specifically is made more complicated by the dual meaning of the word ca.

By the way, do you think people would understand if shorthand was used for Nahuatl books, so that "An Introduction to Classical Nahuatl" just became ICL followed by the author, either L(auney)/M(acKay) or JR(ichard)A(ndrews)? The book I use is ICL L/M for the record.
If it's been specified beforehand (as "Williams, 316" might be used in a paper), I don't see why not.

Return to “Central and South American Indigenous Languages”