***NAHUATL COURSE***

Remis
Re: ***NAHUATL COURSE***

Postby Remis » 2012-07-23, 15:21

Hey, I hope it's alright that I ask this question here.
Are Classical Nahuatl and Modern Nahuatl mutually intelligible? I assume not, but it would be nice to know. :P
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

Mizton

Postby Mizton » 2012-07-23, 15:46

"Modern Nahuatl" is a very general term. Several dialects and variants form what we now know as modern Nahuatl. I would say that Modern Nahuatl from Mexico City, Hidalgo and Puebla are quite similar to classical Nahuatl, yes. A lot more simple, as one would expect.
Si la vida te da la espalda, agárrale las nalgas.

Remis

Postby Remis » 2012-08-01, 12:50

Oh, yeah, I should have specified that I'm interested in the Mexico City dialect. Either way, that's great, thanks! :mrgreen:
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

Apis78

Postby Apis78 » 2012-12-01, 10:28

Mizton,

How I envy your knowledge of the Nahuatl language. ¡El nahuatl siempre me ha fascinado! :waytogo:

Pax frater,

Apis :wave:

Mizton

Postby Mizton » 2012-12-01, 17:56

Thank you very much Apis.

By the way, people, I just uploaded an updated, corrected and very concised version of the Nahuatl course into my website, in "doc" format. There's tons of vocabulary now. The only problem is that it's only available in Spanish for now.

You can find it here: http://www.miztonpixan.com/tlamantli.html

I hope you like it :D

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-01-02, 19:02

Es genial. Muchas gracias :D

Por curiosidad, ¿cuál es la variedad/dialecto que usas?
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Mizton

Postby Mizton » 2013-01-02, 21:12

En realidad es como una combinación de náhuatl clásico con náhuatl moderno del DF y Puebla. Se parecen mucho entre sí.
Qué bueno que te agrade.

LuisAngel

Postby LuisAngel » 2013-03-19, 9:03

Hi Mzton,
Great lessons! Thanks for sharing them with us. How did you learn Nahuatl? I am interested in learning classical Nahuatl and haven't found a school near me that teaches it. What does your name mean, Mizton Pixan? I'm curious to know what my name would be in Nahuatl.

Luis

Mizton

Postby Mizton » 2013-03-19, 14:10

Hi Luis :)

Mizton means cat in Nahuatl and Pixan (originally Pixa'an) means spirit or soul in Mayan. So Cat Soul or something? :P My real name's Fernando :)

Your name? Luis Ángel? In Náhuatl? Well, I don't know... What does Luis mean? :P And "Ángel" is a very Christian concept. Some people "nahuatlize" it as "anxelli" or "anxel". But there's no real Nahuatl word for that.

I started learning by myself when I was in highschool, by using a PDF about Nahuatl from Puebla. I just learned a bit and then I met a native girl in Cuernavaca, the city where I used to live. We became friends and we decided to do a language exchange. She taught me Nahuatl and I taught her English because she needed it to get into this university... She then had to move to Sinaloa and I found a school where they taught Nahuatl from Guerrero. I studied for a couple of months there before moving back to the capital, where I was born. Here in Mexico City I studied Nahuatl for like a year in one school, then I worked in a languages institute where employees could take language courses for free and Nahuatl was an option, so I studied there too (Nahuatl from Mex City in both of them), and finally I found another school called Tepeticpac Tlahtolcalli, where they put me in an advanced class, where we just had conversation (a mix of classical and modern from Puebla). To me, they were the best teachers. So yeah, here in Mexico City there are several options to study the language. UNAM (the National University) also has a Nahuatl course.
So that's the story :)

LuisAngel

Postby LuisAngel » 2013-03-19, 20:06

Hi Mizton,
That's so cool! You must really like cats then. hehehehe Do you speak Mayan too? I found this really cool website about the Aztec and Mayan calendar. The Aztecs used to name their children according to the name of the day in which they were born. Thus, it can tell you what your name might have been according to Aztec mythology. I was born on October 25, the day of the eagle, Cuauhtl, and the snake, Coatl; very symbolic of Mexico. :) So my name could be anything related to an eagle, such as a "free eagle," or "eagle soaring high," or even "eagle eating a snake..." :) It reminds me of Cuauhtemoc.
You can visit the website at http://azteccalendar.com/ to learn more about the Aztec calendar.

I wish I could find a university near me where I could learn Nahuatl. You are so lucky!

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-06-25, 17:34

This is incredibly helpful. Thanks.

Amini

Postby Amini » 2013-09-14, 2:54

Niltze, is it ok if I take these lessons and put them into a little booklet for myself to use? I'd like to have the information at hand to easily access it instead of drudging through a forum. Also, how would someone write a patronym? Un nobre como Rodriguez, that says son of Rodrigo? Just out of curiosity.

Mizton

Postby Mizton » 2013-09-14, 3:07

Yes of course :) Go ahead. I just wanna say that you should only take this course as an aid, some helpful guide, but not the only way Nahuatl is spoken.

Rodriguez huh... Good question :P Cause I'd probably say something like "Iconetzin Rodrigo" for "Rodrigo's son", but I don't see how that would make a good family name haha You usually don't translate names, so I really don't know, sorry

Amini

Postby Amini » 2013-09-14, 3:17

'ta bien Gato, thank you very much, I'm doing it for a friend. My friends and I are part of a little Mexica revival group, we take interest in the old ways and want to modernize them. We take four names, one for each main Teotl and my friend Jessica Rodrigues wanted to know what I'd name her. Since Rodric/Rodrigo are close to Moctezuma I was thinking of using it as a start point for her redone last name. Should I just use Moctezuma itself? Haha, it's a nice tribute name pero no se si es mal para usar lo asi.. Idk, I'll think of something Icniutli, tlazocamati.

MjN

Postby MjN » 2016-04-19, 19:46

Hi Mizton,

Lesson 2 seems to be locked. It says I can't download it because it has a copyright.
Can you unlock it please?

Thank you.

Matias_Allen

Postby Matias_Allen » 2020-06-29, 11:23

Hello from Russia. Thank you so much for providing this course, you can't imagine the joy people like me feel when they come across this forum after years of searching. The Russian segment is incredibly poor in information about Nahuatl and your lessons... I have been interested in this language since 2018, but only now decided to do something serious. You may not be able to read this, but I thank you sincerely.
(Sorry for my clumsy English, ahah :) )

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-12-21, 3:35

Good luck learning Nahuatl! Удачи в изучении науатля! ))) :?:

Return to “Central and South American Indigenous Languages”