Cusco Quechua

księżycowy
Re: Cusco Quechua

Postby księżycowy » 2013-12-25, 12:05

Actually, considering I've found some free PDFs online for Equadorian I might as well utilize those too. That might be an easy gateway into Quechua.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-06, 8:10

That's great to hear! But I guess you'll be focusing on German and Hebrew for now, right? :P

Ohh, wait a minute...

Between this and your posts Vijay, your making me want to do some Quechua. :P

No wonder why you're not doing Quechua! Because I haven't said anything about it since Christmas, ohhhhh...I think I got my priorities screwed up. :doh:

I need to review those commands again. :P "Sayariychis" is 'sit down'? Nope, 'stand up'! :lol: "Tiyaychis" is 'sit down'. Maybe I should play "Simon says" in Cuzco Quechua or something. :lol: (And "uyariychis" is 'listen'. I guess that would be a good way to announce that the game's started or something. :P).

Needed to review what I'd said before about 'repeat', too - "yachapayawaychis." I just found out that of all the morphemes in this word, Shappeck includes only -y in his paper on Media Lengua. He also has -nchi as a suffix indicating that the subject is 1PL in one of his examples. I wonder whether that could be cognate with Cuzco Quechua -chis. Jesse Stewart's paper on Pijal Media Lengua also includes -wa.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-15, 17:13

All right, so I'm finally moving on to lesson 2 in this thread. :lol:

Rikita wrote:The genetive ending aren't in the book at this part, but I think it is a good idea to learn the at the same time as the possessive. For words ending in a vowel the ending is "-q", for words ending in consonant, the ending is "-pa".

Apparently, the cognate for this suffix that Media Lengua uses (both after vowels and after consonants) is -bu or -bo, from central Ecuadorian varieties of Quechua. The cognate in non-central Ecuadorian varieties is -pak or -paj. This suffix is also used as a benefactive suffix (presumably in all of Media Lengua and the Ecuadorian varieties of Quechua), so I'm guessing that -q ~ -pa* in Cuzco Quechua is a benefactive suffix as well...

Hmm, OK, apparently, whatever I can find on Cuzco Quechua seems to be telling me that the genitive suffix is actually -p (not -q) after vowels and that the benefactive suffix is -paq. :? Oh, whatever. :lol:

The possessive in Quechua actually consists of two parts - the possessive ending that is put on the end of that what is possessed (suti-y = name-my) and which differentiate the person of the possessor (i.e. similar to "my", "your", "his" etc.) - and there is a genitive ending, that is put at the end of the possessor, and that is just one ending.

This kind of redundancy does also reflect itself in Andean spanish, where a lot of people will say "de Pedro su casa" instead of "la casa de Pedro". Translated into English it's like saying "Peter's his house"...

Yep, this kind of semantic redundancy is indeed common in Andean Spanish according to Shappeck. Another example is en mi misa de mí, literally 'in my mass of me', corresponding to "Standard" Spanish en mi misa 'in my mass'.

There's not much more in the third lesson posted here (in fact, really, all there is is one new vocabulary word in the dialog, i.e. unqu 'sick'), and that's about it, actually. So now I'll just have to find more online materials to study with. :D

*N.B.: "~" is supposed to be a tilde and to mean 'alternates/alternating with'

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-21, 6:40

Sorry, I don't really have any progress to report this time for Quechua, other than the fact that I learned from this that may means 'where'. (And therefore maymanta means 'from where'. Come on, you knew I had to report something or else I couldn't live with myself, right?! :lol:). I mean, I do have a nice-looking resource to work with (and that thread in the earlier link looks useful, too). But...let's just say today wasn't really my day, and instead of actually studying any Quechua, I mostly ended up learning background information (e.g. that central Peruvian varieties like Ancash are more different from
"Cuzco-Callao" than Ecuadorian ones are) and also toying with the idea of learning some o' them Patagonian languages. :P Those languages look sooo underrated. :(

That's all for today, I guess. :para:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-22, 3:39

OK, still no actual progress to report for Quechua, I'm afraid, but I did also find this thread, which has some Quechua expressions that aren't on this thread! :P

Oh, and the Quechua word for the day is the word for 'white', which is something like yurak or yuraq or yula. :lol: I guess it depends on the dialect. I wonder which dialect has which word...

Hmm, OK, apparently in most varieties (including both Cuzco and Ancash!), it's yuraq, but in Ecuador (Imbabura?), it's yurak. It doesn't seem to be yula anywhere, although it's possible that in Junín (also in Central Peru, I think), it's yulaq.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-23, 7:45

All right, so at last, I think I've found a way to get back into Quechua: that paper on Media Lengua! :lol: I've learned from that so far that the accusative suffix is -ta, and it's also there in one of the example sentences that Rikita had in her first lesson. In another example sentence just after that, she has the locative suffix -pi. Media Lengua has both of these, too. (I've bolded these morphemes in the quote below):
Rikita wrote:As you can see, there are two forms for "we" - the inclusive form includes the people that are being spoken to, while the exclusive form excludes them. Thus, I could say "Nuqanchis runasimita yachashanchis." - "Me and you, we are learning Quechua." but "Nuqayku Berlinpi kayku." - "Me and (my brother/my friends/whoever), we are in Berlin, but not you."

I think the rest of those two sentences should be pretty self-explanatory. :D

Also, it looks like -nga is a nominalizer in Media Lengua (and Imbabura Quechua). I wonder whether maybe it would correspond to -nqa or something in Cuzco Quechua.

OK, I just found this, which seems to suggest instead that it corresponds to -na in Cuzco.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-02-09, 2:39

OK, back to that paper on Media Lengua, which I really like for some reason! (I guess it's just a well-written paper with a nice format, no small fonts or anything). The first sentence they have, cited from Muysken's paper on Media Lengua, is unu faburta pidingabu binixuni 'I come to ask for a favor'. As I said before, -ta is the accusative suffix in Cuzco Quechua as well as in the Ecuadorian variety Media Lengua is based on, and -nga and -bu are specific to that variety (not found in Cuzco Quechua, where the equivalents appear to be -na and -pa (or, in this case, -q), respectively).

The -xu and -ni suffixes are new, though. -xu, which I think is supposed to be IPA [xu], must be the equivalent of Cuzco Quechua -sha, i.e. the progressive aspect suffix. -ni is the first person singular suffix on verbs, both in this variety and in Cuzco Quechua.

There's also a "gerund" suffix -shpa, which corresponds to Cuzco Quechua (progressive aspect participial) suffix -spa.

And yeah, I think the word for 'white' is really yuraq, at least in Cuzco Quechua. :) Puka is 'red'. Q'umir is 'green', and q'illu is 'yellow'.

I have got to review all these words I've learned in this thread! :lol: I guess I'll try to.
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2014-05-21, 1:47, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-02-23, 6:00

I know this is only a really short lesson this time, but I meant to post something on this like three days ago. Whoopsies. :P Sorry!

The next sentence Shappeck has in his paper is Titiku, kunijuta buskashpa rixuk sabingui. The last two words in that sentence have some morphemes that look unfamiliar (the rest is just -ta, -shpa, -xu, and basically a bunch of Spanish words), namely the verb stem ri 'go', the agentive nominalizer suffix -k, and the second person singular suffix -ngui. I'd like to find the equivalents of those in Cuzco Quechua.

I believe the equivalent of -k is -q in Cuzco (not to be confused with the Cuzco Quechua benefactive suffix -q ~ -pa!). The second person singular suffix is just -nki in Cuzco; I guess in Ecuador (or at least in the Imbabura variety), the /k/ is voiced after the nasal. Ri also means 'go' in Cuzco Quechua.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-03-13, 5:43

OK, I tried looking for other resources that I might feel like using in order to improve my Quechua, but I think I still want to just stick with this paper for now. (There are a few YouTube videos I found, but I think I'd like to get back to them later. Although I must say, as I was writing this post, I also found out that the Lonely Planet Quechua book is on Google Books - this is the later of two editions, written by a native speaker who's also a linguist! Cool, huh?).

The next sentence in Media Lengua, quoted from Muysken in Shappeck's paper, is: Ahidaga abin, piru tardeyanduga ganaungay. 'It is there, but when it becomes late, he will be winning.'

The -da in the first word there is the accusative suffix (~ -ta). In Cusco, I think it's always just -ta. I have no idea why the accusative suffix is showing up on the word for 'there', followed by the topic suffix. :hmm: Oh, well! (I'm guessing the "n" and the end of abin is actually the evidential suffix (~ -mi), but I'm really not sure. It's only a guess).

Now, what's left in this sentence is -ya, -ndu, -u, -nga, and -y. In Cusco Quechua, as in Salcedo, -ya means 'become' and is attached to verbs (or rather adjectives, I guess - unless adjectives pattern with verbs in Quechua anyway).

I think maybe the cognate for -ndu in Cusco Quechua (or at least the equivalent) might be -pti or -qti. :hmm: That doesn't seem all that likely, does it? I mean, how could those be cognate? How would /n/ change to /p/ or /q/ or vice versa? And why do we get /u/ in Imbabura Quechua or whatever, but /i/ in Cusco? I guess these are just completely different morphemes. But let's see.

Oh, wait, never mind. -ndu is just the Spanish progressive suffix -ndo! :lol: So now that we've cleared that up and found -ya in Cusco Quechua, I guess we're left with -u, -nga, and -y. We've already seen that -xu can be used as a progressive suffix in Imbabura Quechua; is -u some allomorph of that or something?

Huh, apparently, that's just how it's said in some other Northern variety/ies of Quechua. But then, that suffix is not from Imbabura Quechua, is it? But it must be. Otherwise, how else would it end up in Salcedo? Hmm, lots of apparent mysteries here today! :P

Well, at least the last one is straightforward enough. Imbabura -nga corresponds to Cusco -nqa. :D

EDIT: Oops, I almost forgot about the last morpheme, -y! :lol: :doh: It's an emphatic suffix. Apparently. I can't seem to find any examples of it other than this one, though, not even in Imbabura Quechua. Just one more mystery, I guess.

Oh, and fun fact: According to this, uyay 'to listen' comes from Spanish oye 'hear!'

So just to review, the three mysteries I brought up in this post and haven't solved yet are: 1. Why is the accusative suffix attached to the word for 'there'? 2. Why is the progressive suffix -u this time instead of -xu? and 3. What exactly is this emphatic suffix -y at the end of the last word, and why don't we see it in any other examples?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-04-03, 19:38

OK, I don't know the answers to any of those questions, but at least I've finally managed to review everything that either Rikita or I posted in this thread so far (with the exception of a lot of vocabulary items, such as kinship terms. I might start learning kinship terms next time). I just came here to say that, not to say anything more interesting, really.

Actually, I might start learning the new vocabulary in this thread, which I've mentioned before. So one of the new words there is tiakuy 'to live'. Another is chay 'that'.

A third is wayuwasi, which apparently means 'fruit store'. I'm sure that must break down into two words (at least :P), but I'm not sure whether people actually say that or whether this is just some artificial word from a textbook. :lol:

Ah, and there's also kay and haqay. So, in Spanish, kay is equivalent to este/a, chay is equivalent to ese/a, and haqay is equivalent to aquel(la).

Also, when these demonstratives are combined with the locative suffix -pi, it looks like they can also take on the meanings expressed by Spanish aquí, ahí, and allá/allí.

Wasi means 'house', so I'm guessing wayuwasi literally means 'fruit house', in which case wayu means 'fruit'. Finally, ñan means 'road'. And that's all the new vocabulary in that lesson! Yay! :lol:

EDIT: I have got to remember to learn the incorporated pronouns that go on the ends of verbs (or the suffixes that indicate the person and number of the subject, whatever you wanna call them :P). I'll try to do that next time. (I say this because I was thinking that 'where do you live' was maypi tiakuyki because I was thinking of the possessive pronominal endings or whatever, but in fact that should've been tiakunki. I think the endings on verbs and on (possessed) nouns are very similar but not identical, and it would be worthwhile for me to learn the differences, however few they may be in number).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-05-22, 0:48

OK, so now I've tried to review everything I learned before, plus I learned the differences between the possessive suffixes and those suffixes on the verb that indicate what the subject is. The only differences are the 1SG and second person suffixes; the possessive ones are -y, -yki, and -ykichis and the verbal suffixes are -ni, -nki, and -nkichis. Oh, also, I found out that adverbs can be formed by adding -ta in Cusco Quechua, so that might explain why the first word in the last example of Media Lengua in Shappeck's paper on it was ahidaga.

I think I'll cover the next one, too: Yoga awabi kaimuni. 'I come after falling in the water.' The only new suffix here is -mu...which is a "cislocative" suffix. What the hell is a "cislocative" suffix?

Oh, OK, it's a suffix that indicates "motion or activity towards or with respect to speaker." (The paper itself also says it "typically expresses movement towards the speaker" on p. 108).

And the next one (which is in Salcedo Quichua, not Media Lengua): Pidruwaka binishka wasipi nusutroman abisangabo 'Pedro went (came?) into the house to warn us'. -Wa is apparently a diminutive suffix, but so far, the only diminutive suffix I can find in Cusco Quechua is -cha. :?

Oh, another sidenote: I just found out that -y can also be an imperative suffix in Quechua (even in Cusco, apparently). :) So for example, uyariway means 'listen to me!'. Doesn't totally explain the use of that suffix in the example I had from two posts ago, though (the last example I covered from this paper). (Oh, wait a minute, never mind. I already knew that. I've even encountered that -wa suffix before - actually, I've seen both in yachapayawaychis)

OK, whatever, I guess I'll just let that -wa suffix remain a mystery. -Shka is the 3rd person singular "sudden discovery tense" marker. This website explains that it "marks an event or state affairs of which the speaker was unaware at its moment of inception, of which he/she became suddenly aware, and which may or may not have come to an end by the time he/she became thus aware." In Cusco Quechua, the equivalent is -sqa. -Man is a directional suffix in Cusco Quechua and probably is in Salcedo as well. I think once again, -nga-bu corresponds to Cusco Quechua -na-q.

I thought of looking at the kinship terminology again, but I don't really feel like trying to learn all that right now.

Well, I thought of maybe learning some more colors, but then I'd have to go figure out what the correct forms of the words listed are on that website I'm using to learn those words. Maybe I'll do that a little later. First, I'll go over the kinship terms after all. :P :D

So there's qusa 'husband', warmi 'wife', churi 'man's son', ususi 'man's daughter', wawa 'woman's child', qhari wawa 'woman's male child', warmi wawa 'woman's female child' (I'm using the words 'male' and 'female' here to indicate that the gender needs to be specified with a separate word), and what else?

Oh OK, the other words are wayqi 'man's brother', pana 'man's sister', tura 'woman's brother', and ñaña 'woman's sister'.

Oh, huh, just now, I found that on the Quechua Wikipedia, the word tiyay 'to sit' seems to be used to show the location of some small towns or whatever in Peru, so then I was wondering what sayariy 'to stand' was used for. Pretty much the only thing I found for sayariy was the article on erections. :blush:

Apparently, ch'umpi means 'sepia', and p'aqu means 'brown' (though the website says 'golden'; the Quechua Wikipedia says it's the color of alpacas, which are paqu or paqucha (or alpaka or allpaqa, apparently. Don't know which of these exists in Cusco Quechua yet). Also, previously introduced in Rikita's second lesson was yana 'black', and she immediately showed in that lesson that it can be used idiomatically: yanay means 'my love' or 'my partner' (though it literally means 'my black').

Hopefully I remember all of these words! :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-07-22, 17:10

OK, this time, I'm going to start by just reviewing everything I studied in this thread. I'm going to start out by just taking stuff out of Rikita's posts and putting it into the format I like best for reviewing. :P :lol:

what = ima
how = imayna
and how = imaynalla
how (are you) = imaynallan
how are you = imaynallan kashanki
good = alli
exactly good, just good, just fine = allilla(n)
just good, just fine (in an answer) = allillanmi
is it good? (how are you?) = allillanchu?
sir = wiraqucha
ma'am = quya
young man = wayna
young lady = sipas
Mr. = Tayta(y)
Mrs. = Mama(y)
I = nuqa
you (use with caution!) = qan
PRO.3SG :P = pay
നമ്മൾ :P = nuqanchis
ഞങ്ങൾ = nuqayku
y'all = qankuna
they = paykuna
and you? = qanri?
me too = nuqapas
stand up = sayariychis
sit down = tiyaychis
listen = uyariychis
repeat after me = qhepayta rimaychis
repeat = yachapayawaychis
please = ama hinachu kaychis
thanks = añay
you're welcome = imamanta
you are welcome = mana imamantapas
yes = arí
no = mana
also, too, as well, and, any = -pas
name = suti
father = tayta
mother = mama
color = pawqar
my = -(ni)y
your = -(ni)yki
PRO.3SG.POSS = -(ni)n
നമ്മുടെ = -(ni)nchis
ഞങ്ങളുടെ = -(ni)yku
y'all's = -(ni)ykichis
their = -(ni)nku
's = -q/-pa
(e.g. the flower's color = t'ikaq pawqarnin; my mother's father = mamaypa taytan; my name is... = nuqapa sutinmi...)
sick = unqu
where = may
white = yuraq
(accusative suffix) = -ta
in = -pi
(nominalizer?) = -na
-ing = -spa
red = puka
green = q'umir
yellow = q'illu
go = ri
(agentive nominalizer?) = -q
become (+ adjective) = (verb? +) -ya
to live = tiakuy
éste/a = kay
ése/a = chay
aquello/lla(?) = haqay
fruit = wayu
house = wasi
fruit store = wayuwasi
road = ñan
1SG.PRES = -ni
2SG.PRES = -nki
3SG.PRES = -n
1PL.INC.PRES = -nchis
1PL.EXC.PRES = -yku
2PL.PRES = -nkichis
3PL.PRES = -nku
listen to me! = uyariway!
(sudden discovery tense marker) = -sqa
husband = qusa
wife, woman = warmi
man's son = churi
man's daughter = ususi
woman's (male/female) child = (qhari/warmi) wawa
man = qhari
man's brother = wayqi
man's sister= pana
woman's brother = tura
woman's sister = ñaña
sepia(?) = ch'umpi
brown? golden? = p'aqu
black = yana
my love = yanay

One thing I never learned here: what does the qhepayta in qhepayta rimaychis mean?

Hmm, apparently, qhepay means 'to stay'. So I guess literally it's something like "speak what has stayed" or "speak the established phrase"? :hmm: Dunno! :lol:

Bonus words! :lol:
flower = t'ika
(diminutive suffx) = -cha

And here are some new words for me to learn. :) I don't expect to memorize all these extra kinship terms just yet, but hopefully, I'll remember them better the next time I come here.
to get sick = unquy
maternal uncle = kaka
paternal uncle = yaya
aunt = ipa
niece, nephew = mulla
grandfather = apuski, apucha
grandmother = hatucha
great-grandmother = awkilla
great-grandfather = awkillu
grandchild = haway, willka
great-grandchild = anpullu
president, director, boss = umalliq
village = llaqta
field = chakra
teacher, wise man = hamawt'a
region = suyu
to complete(?) = hunt'ay
to speak = rimay
to say = niy (yay, (I guess) I finally learned the difference between these two words! Thanks Wiktionary :P).

Rikita also taught the word for 'great-great grandchild', which is chupullu. However, I didn't include it in this list, because she didn't say what the words for 'great-great-grandmother' or 'great-great-grandfather' were! Maybe I can find out next time. :P

I mentioned in my last post that -man is a directional suffix in Cusco Quechua but never mentioned what it actually means. What does it mean in Cusco Quechua?

Oh, apparently, "directional suffix" corresponds to "allative case," which means that it means 'towards'.

One more question: What's the Cusco equivalent of Media Lengua -mu? In Media Lengua, it's a cislocative suffix, which as I said earlier, but need to remind myself :lol: is "a suffix that indicates 'motion or activity towards or with respect to speaker.'" So basically it means 'towards me' or something like that.

Oh wait, it's the same suffix in Cusco! Never mind then! :lol:

That just about covers everything that's been taught in this thread (or even on this forum) already. :) Now I think I'll just try to learn more stuff from those web resources and from those papers on Media Lengua (particularly Shappeck's, which is the main one I've been using anyway). I'll also try to figure out what the words are for great-great-grandparents, regardless of whether I have any actual success. :lol:

EDIT: Oh, I think I should also make some sentences to help myself remember all these kinship terms. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-08-22, 10:05

I think it's probably best if I don't go over any new vocabulary in this language this time around (well, at least not much more new vocabulary). There are too many words (in particular, kinship terms) to review here! Instead, I'll mostly just try to post a family tree here. :lol: So, I drew this tree out by hand, but my cell phone's screen is really small, so I decided to try just drawing it out in ASCII, and it worked!

Awkillaypa qusan
|
Apuskiy -------- Hatuchay Apuchay -------- Hatuchay
| |
------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Ipay Ñañan Turanku Wayqin --------------- Apuchaypa ususin Hatuchaypa (qhari) wawa Pananku
| | |
| | |
| --------------- |
| | | |
| | | |
Yayaypa Apuskiypa Awkilluypa --------------- Taytaypa Kakaypa
mullan hawaynin anpullun . churinpa mullan
. warmin
Mamaypa
willkan

Hmm, still can't find the words for great-great-grandparents! That's too bad.

EDIT: Aw man, I guess it didn't come out well. :P I mean, I can see it just fine when I edit the post or whatever, but it doesn't show up correctly. Oh well!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-02, 6:12

OK, now I've learned a little more Quechua because why the hell not. :P I'd like to move a little further along in the Shappeck paper, where we see these two examples:

Miza despwesitu kazamu inakunduga, aibi boda danakun, ahíbi baylanakun. 'Going home after mass, there they give a feast and dance.'
Asilladi kumu bos, bos kwentalladi gringu kunusiduguna tinin bastanti miu Rosalina. 'My Rosalina has plenty gringo acquaintances just like you, like you precisely.'

So the two morphemes that seem to be unfamiliar here are -naku, which is a reciprocal (plural) suffix, and -di, which is an emphatic suffix. I want to find out what their equivalents are in Cusco Quechua.

Meanwhile, I've also learned how to count from one to ten:
1 huq
2 iskay
3 kinsa
4 tawa
5 pisqa
6 suqta
7 qanchis
8 pusaq
9 isq'un
10 chunka

I forgot the word for 'five' and thought it was what is really the word for 'eight', but apart from that, I managed to write all the rest of that without looking back for the right answer, even though I just learned it! :)

Hmm, I can't figure out what the Cusco Quechua equivalent of -di is. Oh, well, moving on: I found some words on that thread called "Notes on Quechua," so I can quiz myself on a few words from there.

reciprocal suffix = -naku
which? = mayqin?
how much/many? = hayk'a?
when? = hayk'aq?
who? = pi?
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2017-10-20, 3:34, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-25, 16:43

Once again, I think it's best if I just take some time to review everything I've learned here instead of posting anything new this time around. As I go through these not-so-popular minority languages, I keep remembering how little work I've done in Dinka, for instance, compared to pretty much any of the others. (Okay, I just changed that, but still :lol:).

I kept having trouble remembering the last few words I'd posted (the question words)! So I made up little mnemonics for them. Like for 'which', I seem to remember that it basically looks like the word for 'where' + <qin>, so I tried to make up a scenario in my mind where some guy has various brothers (wayqi), and someone is asking which one of his brothers (wayqin = his brother) another person is talking about. :P And then for 'how many' and 'where', I just try to associate them with hiking. :lol:

I think I'll try to review some actual examples of Cusco Quechua, too (like the videos I posted earlier), and I've started reviewing the one post I wrote in Quechua on the CSAIL multilingual thread.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-03-10, 6:28

Hey, anybody who hasn't totally ceased caring by this point (so, me :lol:)! I finally found a word claimed to mean 'great-great-grandparent': apuskipa!

And I started going through some of the resources I'd listed here, plus maybe a few others, aaaand I think I forgot what little I'd learned already apart from "God my Quechua sucks." :P Let's see, I learned that maskhay means 'to look for', llank'ay means 'to work', yachakuq means 'student', yachachiq means 'teacher', riqsiy means 'to know, recognize, examine', and ichaqa means 'but'. I guess I might as well also learn that rikuy means 'to see' and maybe that hamuy means 'to come'. I learned all of this from here, here, and here, along with Wiktionary. :lol: The first was especially helpful for this purpose.

So whenever I'm ready for this list...!
to look for = maskhay
to work = llank'ay
student = yachakuq
teacher = yachachiq
to know, recognize, examine = riqsiy
but = ichaqa
to see = rikuy
to come = hamuy

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-03-10, 11:12

Hey :nono:
I still read stuff in this forum!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-03-10, 18:01

You read my posts on Cusco Quechua??? :o :blush: :hug: :lol: Idk I guess I thought they'd be boring for someone who wasn't learning it at the moment...and I don't know anybody who is. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-03-10, 19:55

I don't have to learn a language to appreciate it! Or to read posts about! :evil:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-03-10, 20:01

Well, I don't have to be learning one to appreciate it, either, but I probably do to pay much attention while reading (long) posts about them. :hmhihi:

EDIT: OK, I just glanced over my previous posts and thought, "Oh, maybe my posts in this thread aren't as boring and long as I thought they'd seem!" :lol:

Return to “Central and South American Indigenous Languages”