Kalaallisut - Irusia

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Kalaallisut - Irusia

Postby aaakknu » 2016-06-25, 22:05

Aluu! ;) Qanorippit? Iramik ateqarpunga. Qanoq ateqarpit? 18-nik ukioqarpunga. Qassinik ukioqarpit? Ukrainami najugaqarpunga. Ullumi illumiippunga. Uangap atuagaq atuarpara. Atuagaq ajunngilaq. (how to say "interesting"?) Qitsuqarpunga illumi. Qitsuga mikinngilaq. Qitsuk nerivoq. Nanunnik takunngilanga. Ukrainami nanoqannillat. (I want to say: There are no polar bears in Ukraine). Ikinngutiqqarpunga. (I have friends :?: ) Ikinngutikka ajunngillat. Ikinngutikka asavakka. Aanaq aamma anaanapunga. (I have a grandmother and a mother :?:) Asavaqaakka. (I love them very much :?:) Kalaallisut oqalussinnaavunga. (How to say: I speak Greenlandic badly, but I will learn it better? Can you help me with Greenlandic?).

I tried to practice what I've learned. If you see any mistakes, please correct them. Qujanarsuaq!
Last edited by aaakknu on 2016-09-13, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

marmorbleikur

Re: Aluu!

Postby marmorbleikur » 2016-07-25, 12:03

Aluu Ira! Kalaallisut oqaluttanngilanga, but I'm learning a little and I noticed a few things I might be able to help a bit with.

According to the DAKA online dictionary (found here), interesting (interessant in Danish) is soqutiginartoq. Therefore, "an interesting book" should be something like atuagaq soqutiginartoq and "the book is/was interesting" should be atuagaq soqutiginartuuvoq. (I've seen adjectives turned into verbs through the copula - I'm sure there's another way, perhaps by substituting -toq for -poq, so atuagaq soqutiginarpoq might also be possible!)

However, one thing I'm still struggling with is when exactly to use the contemporative case. So I'm not sure whether you'd say atuagaq ajunngilaq soqutiginartuuvorlu / soqutiginarporlu or atuagaq ajunngilaq soqutiginarluni(lu), but I'm sure you'd be understood with the first!

Qitsuqarpunga illumi - I'm not 100%, but I think "illumi" would come first, and there's a small spelling error in the other word: Illumi qitsoqarpunga.

Ukrainami nanoqannillat - a small typo in the negative suffix, and since "Ukraine" is the subject of the verb ("Ukraine has no bears"), the singular ending should be used: Ukrainami nanoqanngilaq.

Ikinngutiqqarpunga - a small typo, and yes, this is the same word you would use for "I have a friend": ikinnguteqarpunga.

Aanaq aamma anaanapunga - I'm not sure on this one, I think you could either say Aanaq aamma anaanaqarpunga or Aanaqarpunga aamma anaanaqarpunga (or Aanaq anaanaqarpungalu or Aanaqarpunga anaanaqarpungalu or Aanaqarpunga anaanaqarlungalu... the possibilities are endless!), but I've been wondering about constructions like this too so if anybody who knows more about Greenlandic can help on this one, I'd appreciate it too. :D

Asavaqaakka - possibly Assut asavakka, but if you wanted to use a suffix I think you could say something like asakutsoorpakka (asa + kutsoor + pakka, "to love + very much / to a great extent + 1ps/3pp") or asangaarpakka (asa + ngaar + pakka, "to love + much / a lot + 1ps/3pp") - but that's just a guess from using my suffix-dictionary.

Unfortunately I have no idea about the last sentences, but I can give it a go. Surely if we work together, we can write something that's at least understandable!

I speak Greenlandic badly: perhaps, something like Kalaallisut oqarnerluppunga (oqar + nerlup + punga, "to speak + badly + 1ps"), Kalaallisut oqarnerluttarpunga (oqar + nerlup + sar / tar + punga, "to speak + badly + usually - habitually + 1ps") could work?

I will learn it better: perhaps "I will improve", pitsanngussaanga or "I will improve it", pitsanngussavara, although I don't think the second option would be used as languages usually take intransitive verbs.

So, "I speak Greenlandic badly but I will improve" might be something along the lines of: Kalaallisut oqarnerluppunga pitsanngussaangali or Kalaallisut oqarnerluppunga pitsanngussaallungali.

Can you help me with Greenlandic: maybe Kalaallisut ikiorsinnaavisinga? (ikior + sinaa + visinga, "to help + can + 2pp/1ps") or Kalaallisut ikiorsinnaanngorpisinga? (ikior + sinaanngor + pisings, "to help + to be able to + 2pp/1ps")?

I definitely don't know, but I've given it a shot - maybe you can work from my attempts, and use them as a guideline to improve further? But the one thing I can say it to watch out for typos! Remember that U becomes O before Q and R, but remains a U in all other positions; likewise, I becomes E before Q and R, but remains an I in all other positions.

Do you think we should turn this thread into a place to practice writing in Greenlandic? There doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to that here, and if we keep posting / trying to help each other, maybe we'll eventually attract a native (or more advanced) speaker. 8-)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-08-01, 10:58

Thank you very much for the help!
Nobody replied to this post for a long time, so I thought I was the only one on this subforum.

Yes, we can. I doubt there are a lot of Greenlandic learners there, but we can try. Maybe, two people are enough to practice. What do you think?
Last edited by aaakknu on 2017-09-04, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

isusbellus

Postby isusbellus » 2016-08-31, 18:36

I want to learn but I speak Swedish.. A bit tired to learn a language from English when the grammar is a bit different than Swedish. I get tired by English. My brain have to work extra. Danish make me confused, its annoying. I have 2 books learning Greenlandic. One Danish and one Greenlandic for tourists in English. I lost the book this summer. Maybe if I clean my apartment I will find it. Or I left it in Helsinki.
[flag=]sv[/flag] Native [flag=]fi[/flag] B1 [flag=]et[/flag] A1 [flag=]en[/flag] Depends, my pronunciation is bad

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-09-02, 19:25

isusbellus wrote:I have 2 books learning Greenlandic. One Danish and one Greenlandic for tourists in English.

What are the names of these books?

isusbellus

Postby isusbellus » 2016-09-03, 11:49

Irusia wrote:
isusbellus wrote:I have 2 books learning Greenlandic. One Danish and one Greenlandic for tourists in English.

What are the names of these books?

Grammatisk oversigt til 50 grønlandske stiløvelser
Stig Bjørnum
[flag=]sv[/flag] Native [flag=]fi[/flag] B1 [flag=]et[/flag] A1 [flag=]en[/flag] Depends, my pronunciation is bad

isusbellus

Postby isusbellus » 2016-09-03, 11:52

Where is my other book.,.. aahdbgf

isusbellus

Postby isusbellus » 2016-09-03, 13:59

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Kalaallisut - Irusia

Postby aaakknu » 2016-09-13, 13:14

Correction:
Irusia wrote:Uangap atuagaq atuarpara.

There is no difference between ergative and absolutive forms of personal pronouns, so it shoud be: Uanga atuagaq atuarpara.

Irusia wrote:Asavaqaakka.

When the suffix "-qa-" is added, "v/p" in the suffix "vu/pu" disappears, so "I love very much" is "asaqaanga", not "asaqavunga". Then "I love them very much" should be "asaqaakka".

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-09-13, 13:50

Questions and notes:

1. Are there any rules of stress in Greenlandic?

2. Difference between "-ik-" and "-u-".
If my grammar book there are such example sentences with these suffixes:
Nuummiippoq. (Nuuk-mi-ik-poq) - He is in Nuuk.
Oqaluffimmiippoq. (oqaluffik-mi-ik-poq) - He is in the church.
Nunaavoq. (nuna-u-voq) - It is land.
Hansiuvoq. (hansi-u-voq) - It is Hansi.
In these sentences I can see that the usage of these suffixes is similar to the usage of the Spanish verbs "ser" and "estar".
So I assume that "-ik-" means "estar" and "-u-" means "ser".

3. "a" - [æ]; before uvulars - [a].

4. "-liaq-"; "-kaq-" - to go to
Nuummukarpoq. Nuummulliarpoq.
Both mean the same: He/she goes to Nuuk.
What is the difference between them?

5. Angisoorsuarmik illuliorpoq.
He/she build a huge house.
illu - house
-lioq - to build
-poq - 3rd peson sg.
-rsuaq - big (by the way: how to say "to be big"?)
-mik - instrumental
angisoo - ???

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-26, 4:37

Irusia wrote:Questions and notes:

Well, at least I can find an answer for that question!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland ... ge#Prosody

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-04-25, 16:36

vijayjohn wrote:
Irusia wrote:Questions and notes:

Well, at least I can find an answer for that question!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland ... ge#Prosody

Thank you! Qujanaq! :)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-21, 6:59

Np! :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

NAILC 2017 - Irusia (Kalaallisut)

Postby aaakknu » 2017-11-22, 11:15

So, during the winter I will learn Greenlandic.

What I already know:
- conjugation of intransitive verbs in present (or rather non-future?) indicative
- suffix -qar- ("to have")
- suffix -lior- ("to make")
- suffixes -nnguaq and -rsuaq ("small" and "big")
- ergative and absolutive cases
- locative cases
- instrumental case
- plural
- ~ 20-30 words

In December I will start with revising this and after that I'll start learning something new.

My plan
December: revision
January: learning new grammar and vocabulary
February: reading and writing
Last edited by aaakknu on 2017-12-31, 10:40, edited 2 times in total.
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: NAILC 2017 - Irusia (Kalaallisut + Chatino)

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-30, 23:03

Wait, you're learning Chatino?!? :o

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-01, 22:19

vijayjohn wrote:Wait, you're learning Chatino?!? :o

Why not? Honestly, it was a random choice. It just happened to be listed as the language of the day for 30th of November.
(I had an interesting idea: I decided to learn for a year the language of my birthday, but unfortunately that language was impossible to learn for me, because it had very few speakers and no resources available on the internet, so I decided to choose the next one).
The language is interesting, and I will also have a chance to practice Spanish, because some resources are in Spanish. I am going to learn it only this year, though.
But I think I will concentrate on Greenlandic than on Chatino.
But, to be honest, neither of the languages is a priority to me, as I am focusing more on other languages now.
I planned not to return to Greenlandic until I reach an advanced level in English, Estonian and Spanish but then I found out about the Powwow and I just couldn't resist. :)
Last edited by aaakknu on 2017-12-01, 23:02, edited 7 times in total.
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-01, 22:32

Revision of intransitive verb conjugation.

Some verbs from memory (the second one is negative):

"To say":
oqarpunga, oqanngilanga
oqarputit, oqanngilatit
oqarpoq, oqanngilaq
oqarpugut, oqanngilagut
oqarpusi, oqanngilasi
oqarput, oqanngillat

"To eat":
nerivunga, nerinngilanga
nerivutit, nerinngilatit
nerivoq, nerinngilaq
nerivugut, nerinngilagut
nerivusi, nerinngilasi
neripput, nerinngillat

"To read"
atuarpunga, atuanngilanga
atuarputit, atuanngilatit
atuarpoq, atuanngilaq
atuarpugut, atuanngilagut
atuarpusi, atuanngilasi
atuarput, atuanngillat
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-01, 22:42

I am going to use this site for Chatino.
Archive of the Indigenous Languages of Latin America also has some resourses for the language.
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-01, 23:00

Irusia, I have resources for Chatino. I know two native speakers personally, witnessed grad students (including those two speakers) working (outside the field, not in Oaxaca) on documenting it for a whole semester, and started developing a speech recognizer for it. AILLA is hosted by my alma mater.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-01, 23:05

How is Irusia suppose to know that?

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”