Lakota grammar

Zviezda
Lakota grammar

Postby Zviezda » 2015-12-19, 18:24

Hello,

Earlier today, I tried to translate a simple sentence into Lakota, as an exercise.
I wanted to say "I went to the garage to pay my bill".
But the dictionary (the downloadable dictionary software by Lakota Language Consortium) doesn't say how you'd say "to go to do something".

So I got "iyéčhiŋkyaŋka oáphiye ektá blá" (I'm not even sure it's correct), but I wasn't able to find out how you'd say "...(in order) to pay my bill".

I'm looking for a comprehensive grammar of Lakota, since the dictionary alone doesn't explain everything. Do you know comprehensive grammars of Lakota ?

Philámayaye if you can help :)

księżycowy

Re: Lakota grammar

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-19, 18:34

Hmmmmmm, are you looking for a reference grammar, or more like a textbook?

I know of a few textbooks, but I don't know much about Lakota grammars. Most are probably either too short, like the one found in the print edition of the LLC dictionary, or too old to represent modern usage (1800's and such.)

Zviezda

Postby Zviezda » 2015-12-22, 1:23

Well, rather a grammar, but if there's none available, a comprehensive course that explains clearly most of the grammar would be ok :)

Btw, do you know how one would say "to go to Thatplace to do something" ?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-22, 12:14

I'm afraid that my Lakota is very rust, so I don't know. Sorry.

As for a grammar or comprehensive course, I'll see what I can drum up. My first suggestion would be the the University of Colorado materials by Rood and Taylor, but I'll see if any modern grammar is available.

t’óyna

Postby t’óyna » 2016-09-18, 23:57

Iyéčhiŋkyaŋka oáphiye kiŋ ektá wakážužu waí. - I went to the garage to make a payment.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”