Bingles - Caygua (Gayogo̱ho:nǫ’)

Bingles
Bingles - Caygua (Gayogo̱ho:nǫ’)

Postby Bingles » 2014-11-16, 4:42

Hello everybody (Sgę:nǫ’ swagwe:go’),

I'm new to UniLang, this is my first thread. I've been very interested in Cayuga for a long time, I know it's an endangered language and that's why I've taken interest in the language; along with the fact that I have Cayuga and Ojibwe ancestry. I hope to learn all the five nations' languages, Seneca, Cayuga, Onondaga, Oneida and Mohawk someday like my great grandfather Sampson did. I know Seneca and Cayuga are very close because my Great aunt can understand Seneca and Cayuga both as if they were the same language but there's some major pronounciation differences. Anyways, I've put together an introduction of myself and I will explain some things about the language in it.

Joe ni:’ gya:sǫh. Tę:’ ne’ aga:węh hne: gaya:sǫh ǫgwehǫwehka: gasęna̱haǫ:weh. Hyaikneh węhnidade’, dęwahshę: ahsęh hehsgaha:wihs, gyo̱hdǫ: sga̱he’ n’adew’enya:w’e: gyo̱hdǫ: niwahshę: gyo̱hdǫ: tsiyohsredahs agęna’gra:dǫh. Hwihs sga̱he’ hne: niwago̱hsriya’gǫh. Gayogo̱ho:nǫ’ niwagǫhwęjodę’, Hnyagwai’ hne: niwagesyaǫdę’.

My name is Joe. I do not have a native name. June 23 1999 I was born. I am 15 years old. I am from the Cayuga Nation and in the Bear Clan.

Yes, I am fairly young :lol: .

I want to show you the word 'gya:sǫh'. This word means 'My name is' or 'I am called'. In Cayuga and all Iroquoian languages you cannot have a verb by itself, I don't know what you linguists call it but you have to have a pronoun with the verb. In this case, the verb is -ya:sǫh-. In Cayuga language it's part of the C-Stem of Verbs, I'll talk about this soon. But this word is easy to manipulate if you know the pronouns.

Me - g-
You - s-
Her - e-
Him - ha-

There's many other pronouns but these will be used for my example. These pronouns are used for the C-Stem of Verbs, the verbs that start with consonants. The Cayuga verbs all change the pronouns depending on the starting of the verb if it's a vowel or not and what type of vowel it is and if it's a consonant. These things I will discuss later. Anyways, you can change the word 'gya:sǫh' into you are called, she is called and he is called very simply.

Me - gya:sǫh
You - sya:sǫh
Her - eya:sǫh
Him - haya:sǫh

Now you can add these to a sentence.

Joe gya:sǫh. if you were talking about yourself, and if you were talking to somebody and you were telling them their name it would be 'John sya:sǫh' if you were talking to somebody named John. If you were talking about another person, i.e: a girl.. You can say 'Carrie eya:sǫh'. Same for males.

If you want to see the Spelling Manual for the Cayuga language, check this link out.
http://www.mun.ca/cayuga/spelling/index.php

If you want to hear the language being spoken, here is another link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfA0ttp ... XQuCR3OmwQ

I will post more of the language soon,

Thank you (Nya:węh)
[flag=]cay[/flag]
Gayogo̱hnǫ’ gadewayę’s
I am studying the Cayuga language.
Joe gya:sǫh. Kanadagwa:dih hǫ:weh knagre’ ne’ wa’ne:.
[i]My name is Joe. I live on the Canadian side right now

księżycowy

Re: Bingles - Caygua (Gayogo̱ho:nǫ’)

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-17, 17:00

Cool thread! I'll be sure to follow it. :D

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-11-18, 20:30

Hey, Bingles! What re you using to learn Cayuga? It seems like an interesting language, and to be honest I'll probably never learn it, but I am interested in taking a look at resources for it and getting to know it some. :)
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-18, 22:21

I'm not Bingles, but the two of us have talked about this before. So I'll take the liberty of answering.

Wadęwayę́stanih: A Cayuga Teaching Grammar by Mithun et al.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-11-18, 22:27

I figured it might be that. Too bad it's not available on the usual site anymore, or else I'd take a look at it. :(
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-20, 20:37

You're going to get that study buddy after all, Bingles! I just have to work out when would be the best time to start.

I also admire your wish to learn most of the Northern Iroquoian languages. I wouldn't mind picking up a few myself (if I can manage to learn one that is :P ). Keep me in the loop if you find any good resources for any. Particularly Seneca and Onondaga.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-11-20, 21:02

That's really cool that you want to learn the Five Nation's languages. :D I hope you are able to achieve that like your great grandfather someday.
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-23, 16:24

I have a question for you, Bingles. How did you (or are you, depending) tackle the Spelling Manual?

It has some great information in it, but it's so damn chocked full. I'm tempted to piece it out as I go through the lessons proper.

Bingles

Postby Bingles » 2014-12-11, 17:06

księżycowy wrote:I have a question for you, Bingles. How did you (or are you, depending) tackle the Spelling Manual?

It has some great information in it, but it's so damn chocked full. I'm tempted to piece it out as I go through the lessons proper.

Sorry for not responding quickly, my laptop was broken. I've been listening to the Audio Files on www.cayuglanguage.ca and I've been writing out my own conversations. I have the Cayuga-
English/English-Cayuga dictionary I use to help me out as well. I use the Thematic Dictionary from the woodland cultural centre too to label my house. You can order a whole lot of Cayuga books on www.Goodminds.ca and there's books with CD audio files with them.

In Wadewayenstanih it's alright if you skip a couple lessons (I've skipped body parts completely so I can do it another time). The audio files help a lot but most of the language learning takes place when you speak to other people or type it out.
[flag=]cay[/flag]
Gayogo̱hnǫ’ gadewayę’s

Bingles

Postby Bingles » 2014-12-11, 17:14

Lauren wrote:Hey, Bingles! What re you using to learn Cayuga? It seems like an interesting language, and to be honest I'll probably never learn it, but I am interested in taking a look at resources for it and getting to know it some. :)

I have a lot of resources, most of my resources are in book form. It's hard to find Iroquoian resources online. But yes I use the Grammar book often but the dictionary and the thematic dictionary are very helpful. I have a teacher from the Woodland Cultural Centre who also helps me. I got some pictures I could show you if you are trying to learn as well. The Cayuga language needs anyone to learn due to the low number of speakers so anybody is a great help!
[flag=]cay[/flag]
Gayogo̱hnǫ’ gadewayę’s

Bingles

Postby Bingles » 2014-12-11, 21:30

księżycowy wrote:You're going to get that study buddy after all, Bingles! I just have to work out when would be the best time to start.

I also admire your wish to learn most of the Northern Iroquoian languages. I wouldn't mind picking up a few myself (if I can manage to learn one that is :P ). Keep me in the loop if you find any good resources for any. Particularly Seneca and Onondaga.

Great for Onondaga! http://goodminds.com/concerning-league- ... n-paper-ed

Only if you're willing to spend 125 dollars!
[flag=]cay[/flag]
Gayogo̱hnǫ’ gadewayę’s

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-12-11, 22:35

Bingles wrote:
Lauren wrote:Hey, Bingles! What re you using to learn Cayuga? It seems like an interesting language, and to be honest I'll probably never learn it, but I am interested in taking a look at resources for it and getting to know it some. :)

I have a lot of resources, most of my resources are in book form. It's hard to find Iroquoian resources online. But yes I use the Grammar book often but the dictionary and the thematic dictionary are very helpful. I have a teacher from the Woodland Cultural Centre who also helps me. I got some pictures I could show you if you are trying to learn as well. The Cayuga language needs anyone to learn due to the low number of speakers so anybody is a great help!

Sadly I don't have the money to purchase any books right now. :(
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-12-12, 13:30

Bingles wrote:Sorry for not responding quickly, my laptop was broken.

Not problem, I'm just glad to see you back!

You can order a whole lot of Cayuga books on http://www.Goodminds.ca and there's books with CD audio files with them.

I'm having a little trouble finding any Cayuga language books on that site. :hmm:
Looks good though.

Great for Onondaga! http://goodminds.com/concerning-league- ... n-paper-ed

Only if you're willing to spend 125 dollars!

Yeah, that price tag is enough to scare me away. For now anyway. :P

I was thinking of eventually contacting the two tribes and seeing if they had any resources for their languages they might be willing to sell me. I've had pretty good luck with that before. Most tribes I've talked with are more then willing to share any resources they have, even to someone of European ancestry like me. :D

Bingles

Postby Bingles » 2014-12-17, 20:03

If you are looking for any Mohawk, Cayuga or Ontario Onondaga. I'd contact Six Nations Polytechnic. Seneca language is a little bit more tricky but I think Allegany would be good. Mohawk specifically, Kahnawake would be a great option. Oneida would be Oneida of the Thames they have awesome resources, www.oneidalanguage.ca ! I will update my learning soon, and teach everybody else something new!
[flag=]cay[/flag]
Gayogo̱hnǫ’ gadewayę’s

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-12-18, 1:58

Thanks! I'll check some of that stuff out.

In the meantime it's back to Cayuga. I look forward to your update. :D

Bingles

Postby Bingles » 2014-12-22, 19:56

Short version Thanksgiving Address wrote:Nę:dah nigǫkyo̱hgo’dę: ęswathaǫsiyohs gaihwaętgǫh awa:dǫ’ ne’ hędwaihwakyę:to shǫgway’adis’ǫh sǫgwa’wi:’ ganǫhǫnyǫhk ne’ aǫwesaht sgę:nǫ’ dwęnǫhdǫnyǫh ne’di’ne’ ędwehek ihya sga:t ędwayę:’ ǫgwa:nigǫ̱ha’ sga:t dędwadatnǫhǫnyǫ:’ netogyę: niyohdǫ̱hǫ:k ǫgwa’nigǫ̱ha’.

Da:ne:’ ędwatro:wi’ shęh ohwęjade’ dwano:ha’ dędwanǫ̱hǫkwa’ ne:’ gwatoh shęh niyeha:’ ne:’ di’ ne’ ędwe:he:k gwe:gǫh dędwanǫ̱hǫnyǫ:’ netogyę: niyohdo̱hǫ:k ǫgwa:nigǫ̱ha’.

Da:ne:’ ędwatro:wi’ hodęihǫdǫnyǫ’ de̱hadi̱hsnye:gye’s shęh nahawayęnanhe’ ne:’di’ne’ ędwe:he:k sga:t dęyetinǫhǫnyǫ:’ netogyę: niyodo̱hǫ:k ǫgwa:nigǫ̱ha’.

Da:ne:’ ędwatro:wi’ shedwagowa:nęh Sganyadaiyo’ oihowa:nęh athadri̱hwa:ds’a:’ ne:’ dǫsahaihwaętwaht shęh naǫsaǫgwayęhęk ohędǫ: ha’węhni̱hsradenyǫ:gye’ ne:’di’ne’ ędwe:he:k dętshedwanǫhǫnyǫ:’ shedwagowa:nęh Sganyadaiyo’ netogyę:’ niyohdǫ̱hǫ:k ǫgwa:nigǫ̱ha’.

Da:ne:’ ędwatro:wi’ gei’ niyǫgweda:ge hadiǫhya’ge̱ho:nǫ’ ne:’ deyǫkiyę’nyadǫ’ sgę:nǫ’ dwęnǫhdǫnyǫh ne:’di’ne’ ędwe:he:k dęyetinǫhǫnyǫ:’ hadiǫhya’ge̱ho:nǫ’ deyǫkiyęnyadǫ’ netogyę:’ niyodǫ̱hǫ:k ǫgwa:nigǫ̱ha’.

Da:ne:’ ędwatro:wi’ haǫha’geh gaǫhyade’ hana:gre’ shǫgwayadihs’ǫh ne: tsǫ: tho’sęhdǫh ne’ sgę:nǫ’ aedwęnǫhdǫnyǫ:’ ne:’di’ne’ ędwe:he:k dętshedwanǫhǫnyǫ:’ gaǫhyade’ hana:gre’ Shǫgwayadihs’ǫh netogyę:’ niyodǫ̱hǫ:k ǫgwa’nigǫ̱ha’.

Da:netoh nagatgwe:ni’ i:’geh agayagęhdahk ganǫhǫnyǫhk, da:netoh.

This assembled crowd, you all will listen to what my responsibility has become to channel from our creator, the Thanksgiving Address. It is gladdening of well being that we are in mind of it or it is in our thought that we will in one unit greet each other. So be it our minds.

Now this, we will talk about the existing earth. Our mother we will refer to it as and also what she holds. And so we will in thought thank everything. So be it our minds.

Now it, we will talk about his assigned duty performers. They look after how much he created (dwano:ha') and so we will mentally and spiritually in one unit, thank them. So be it our minds.

Now it, we will talk bout our spiritual leader, Sganyadaiyo' (His Handsome Lake). A great worthy commendation that he had earned for himself. It is he who seeded the news of how we should conduct ourselves in the future days ahead. And so we will mentally thank him, our leader Sganyadaiyo'. So be it our minds.

Now it, we will talk about the four people of male heavenly inhabitants it is they who guard us with their hands of well being we are in our minds. And so we will mentally thank them, the male heavenly inhabitants our guardians. So shall be it our minds.

Now it we will talk about, about him, who in heaven he lives, our Creator (Shǫgwayadihs’ǫh)
Its only things he dropped down that will make us feel well in our minds. And so we will mentally thank him who in heaven he lives, our Creator. So shall be it our minds.

This is the best I could do, up to me it has come out the Thanksgiving Address. Da:netoh.

This is the short version Thanksgiving Address that believers of the Gaihwi:io would say every time they wake up and when they go to sleep and before important meetings, assemblies etc. Maybe a longer version but the long version is very long. It's basically saying thank you for everything and all things that watch over them.

I just wanted to share this with everybody who will read it, a good insight into Cayuga/Iroquois culture and religion. It's my best interpretation of the thanksgiving address it could become confusing!
[flag=]cay[/flag]
Gayogo̱hnǫ’ gadewayę’s

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-12-22, 22:37

It is wonderful, Bingles. Thank you very much for sharing it. :)
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-12-22, 23:33

Yes, quite an interesting and very beautiful look into Iroquois religion. Thanks Bingles!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-23, 20:19

Bingles wrote:This is the short version Thanksgiving Address that believers of the Gaihwi:io would say every time they wake up and when they go to sleep and before important meetings, assemblies etc.

What's the Gaihwi:io?

EDIT: Oh, I guess what you're talking about is this, right?

Bingles

Postby Bingles » 2014-12-25, 0:34

vijayjohn wrote:
Bingles wrote:This is the short version Thanksgiving Address that believers of the Gaihwi:io would say every time they wake up and when they go to sleep and before important meetings, assemblies etc.

What's the Gaihwi:io?

EDIT: Oh, I guess what you're talking about is this, right?

Yes, Longhouse!

Thanks everybody I will update more soon, I am very busy lately with the holidays and stuff! :silly:
[flag=]cay[/flag]
Gayogo̱hnǫ’ gadewayę’s

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”