General Discussion

Koko
Re: General Discussion

Postby Koko » 2014-12-25, 20:17

księżycowy wrote:On a separate note, after a comment or two by Vijay I did some digging around and have discovered that the Métis are considered an Aboriginal people by Canada, so I think Michif should be considered a NAIL. If it's good enough for Canada, it's good enough for me! :wink:

I've asked the admins to move the thread.

How could the Métis not be an Aboriginal people?

Bingles

Postby Bingles » 2014-12-25, 20:38

Koko wrote:
księżycowy wrote:On a separate note, after a comment or two by Vijay I did some digging around and have discovered that the Métis are considered an Aboriginal people by Canada, so I think Michif should be considered a NAIL. If it's good enough for Canada, it's good enough for me! :wink:

Blood quantum!
[flag=]cay[/flag]
Gayogo̱hnǫ’ gadewayę’s
I am studying the Cayuga language.
Joe gya:sǫh. Kanadagwa:dih hǫ:weh knagre’ ne’ wa’ne:.
[i]My name is Joe. I live on the Canadian side right now

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-25, 20:38

Koko wrote:

South of this country, Mestizos are considered to be neither indigenous nor white but rather a third distinct group.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-12-25, 21:11

Koko wrote:How could the Métis not be an Aboriginal people?

I think Bingles and Vijay have summed it up well. It’s because they are of mixed heritage, and that makes it hard to tack down a definitive answer.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-25, 21:18

Strange, they have always been considered an Aboriginal people here. They participate in our Native Graduation ceremonies and other Native activities.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-25, 21:28

Whether a group of people constitutes a separate ethnic group or not is never as straightforward as it might seem. Just to give you a few more examples, in India, Anglo-Indians are (probably more often than not) treated as basically British people, and many of them also consider themselves British, even though the British did not consider them as such. I've heard that the Kristang, who are of mixed Malay and Portuguese heritage and speak a Portuguese-based creole, eat the same food that Malays eat but insist that it's "Portuguese food" (and that their language is Portuguese).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-25, 21:36

Shouldn't a race be considered what the majority of them consider themselves? Since a majority of the Métis think themselves Aboriginal, then they should be thought of such by all else. That seems the right thing to do since it wouldn't offend the Métis and it settles a dispute in a democratic way.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-26, 2:38

But even the definition of "Métis" is not legally settled, so it's not really possible to identify who "the majority of Métis" are. (Also, often, these kinds of things are political issues. For example, my understanding is that the reason why Mestizos are not considered part of the indigenous population is because of a "caste system," so to speak, that the Spanish imposed).

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-21, 20:42

In the game Beyond: Two Souls, there is a Navajo family that awesomely speak Navajo to each other. The name of the grandmother is Shimasani, which I just found out literally means "my maternal grandmother". :lol: It comes come "shimá sání", where "shi-" is "my", "-má" is "mother", and the last part seems to have something to do with (old) age.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-03-14, 16:24

Cool!

Holy crap, there seems to have suddenly been a lot of interest in Greenlandic since the last time I showed up here. :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-03-14, 19:20

Yeah, I said the same thing to myself. Though I'm not sure I'd say "a lot." Then again, in the context of NAILs.... :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-03-14, 19:33

I saw a bunch of threads (it had to be at least five...) about Greenlandic that I hadn't looked at before with new posts, but to be fair, I think that's largely thanks to Irusia. :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-03-15, 22:11

Yeah, Irusia seems to be the driving force at the moment. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-10-23, 15:30

I know this forum all too well, and yet I'll still ask in hopes I'm pleasantly surprised.

are there any active Cherokee speakers/advanced learners around that come to this part of the forum anymore? Whether registered or not? I'm looking for a Biblical translation for a verse in the book of Micah, and since it hasn't been officially translated yet, I was hoping someone could help me with that.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-11-10, 22:48

Would anyone be interested in playing "the person after me" game in North American languages?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-11-10, 22:53

Irusia wrote:Would anyone be interested in playing "the person after me" game in North American languages?

I could give it a go.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-10, 23:39

I could give it a try too.

By the way, it's not the Person After Me game, but the NAIL Multilingual Thread could certainly be used to play it. I envisioned it as an answer ask game of some sort.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-20, 18:12

Anyone want to do a Powwow, like we've done in the past?

I'd like to try to get something going here. I know that my timing is a bit late, but better late than never.

Here are some threads that may help you decide:
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=38987
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=35931
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=35163

For newbies: it's like a short TAC (a NAILC, if you will) that runs through the winter months starting in November. It is usually 3 months long, and I try to give a treat, like a story or something, during it too. [Though I'm not sure if that will be possible this year or not.Though I have an idea or two. :wink: ] It's open to any indigenous language of the Americas. Traditionally it's only been for any language in Mexico and northward, but I'm more than willing to open it up to and thing below Mexico too. [And, if you talk me into it, I might be able to get even looser with our definition of "indigenous". :P ]

This is all short notice, so I don't blame anyone if either it's start date get's pushed back into December, or it doesn't materialize. I've been away for a long time and most of the traffic has ceased. Still, let's have fun and spread the word!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-21, 6:20

księżycowy wrote:Anyone want to do a Powwow, like we've done in the past?

I'd like to try to get something going here. I know that my timing is a bit late, but better late than never.

Here are some threads that may help you decide:
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=38987
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=35931
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=35163

For newbies: it's like a short TAC (a NAILC, if you will) that runs through the winter months starting in November. It is usually 3 months long, and I try to give a treat, like a story or something, during it too. [Though I'm not sure if that will be possible this year or not.Though I have an idea or two. :wink: ] It's open to any indigenous language of the Americas. Traditionally it's only been for any language in Mexico and northward, but I'm more than willing to open it up to and thing below Mexico too. [And, if you talk me into it, I might be able to get even looser with our definition of "indigenous". :P ]

This is all short notice, so I don't blame anyone if either it's start date get's pushed back into December, or it doesn't materialize. I've been away for a long time and most of the traffic has ceased. Still, let's have fun and spread the word!

Could you explain it a bit more? So do you or someone else write/find a story in a NAIL and then we all analyze it together? Or is it more like a TAC where we each pick a NAIL(/SAIL) to learn for 3 months? If so, how does the story/treat component come in? And why is it called a Powwow?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-21, 10:34

I'm glad you asked a few questions. I want to be as clear as possible!

So do you or someone else write/find a story in a NAIL and then we all analyze it together?

It depends on the situation largely. As you can see with the 2012 story, I picked one and analyzed it all myself. For the 2011 it was a team effort because we all where working on the same language and decided to do it as a group.
Or is it more like a TAC where we each pick a NAIL(/SAIL) to learn for 3 months?

It is. That is one of the main components of it, and how it all started.
If so, how does the story/treat component come in?

It's an added thing I usually try to do. I'm honestly wondering if it is feasible this year or not.
And why is it called a Powwow?

Because that is often what gatherings and celebrations are called by Native Americans.
See wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pow_wow
Here it's meant to be a celebration of Native American culture and language. It started in November because in the US November is Native American Heritage month. It also took some cues from the SAC(Summer) and WAC (Winter) versions of the full length TAC.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, please ask!

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”