General Discussion

handsomenavajo01
Re: General Discussion

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2013-07-17, 23:02

księżycowy wrote:Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that does. In fact, I don't know anyone that speaks a N.A. language.

And as a general notice:
You guys might notice that the Eskimo-Aleut games and multilingual thread are gone. I've merged them with the respective NAIL threads. So just go off the last thing posted in the thread. It shouldn't cause any problems unless anyone looks back through the threads and gets confused.

Also, you might have noticed that the South American Powwow hasn't been announced yet, I'm merging the Indigenous Language Challenges into one due to participation over the past few years. There hasn't been enough to justify three separate challenges. Sorry to anyone that would want to do all three challenges, but you might have to pick one.
But fear not, the Powwow is coming in November, and will include all North and South American languages, including Eskimo-Aleut!

I speak a N.A language! I speak Navajo. ^.^
’Ayóo shaa dzólní, ’aoo’, t’áá íídą́ą́’ shił bééhózin éí lá biniinaa ’at’ééké chxǫǫ́h dashinízin. T’óó ’ádíshní! ;)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-17, 23:57

I'm glad to see your still around!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-10-13, 21:49

The Third Annual Powwow has been announced!

razlem

Postby razlem » 2013-10-16, 15:22

Does anyone have any resources/data on language reconstruction from folk songs? We've obtained and transcribed several Houma songs, but no one knows the meaning of them. I could try and cross-reference with Chickasaw/Choctaw words, but it would be unreliable.
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

handsomenavajo01

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2013-10-20, 17:06

razlem wrote:Does anyone have any resources/data on language reconstruction from folk songs? We've obtained and transcribed several Houma songs, but no one knows the meaning of them. I could try and cross-reference with Chickasaw/Choctaw words, but it would be unreliable.

Is there any type of language dictionary that might have been possibly published?
IF, there is one in existence, that may prove very helpful. :mrgreen:
’Ayóo shaa dzólní, ’aoo’, t’áá íídą́ą́’ shił bééhózin éí lá biniinaa ’at’ééké chxǫǫ́h dashinízin. T’óó ’ádíshní! ;)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-10-21, 0:52

księżycowy wrote:The Third Annual Powwow has been announced!

I may do Navajo again. I miss learning it, I really enjoy it and I have all these resources already. Let me think a little more about it. I hate that it starts the same month as NaNoWriMo which I'm definitely doing.

I wish I could Mi'kmaq again, both because I love the langauge and also because I support their current, very brave anti-fracking protests. But I'm still lacking resources.

handsomenavajo01

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2013-10-29, 16:54

Those who are interested in Navajo send me a skype request, ahora. I can help. My skype is always logged in.
Last edited by Anonymous on 2013-11-16, 23:12, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed reference to moved post

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-11-16, 22:32

Does anyone know the link to the website with a bunch of old scanned books of native languages of Canada? It has Koyukon, Tlingit, Haida, Tsimshian, and lots of others. I don't seem to have the link anymore and can't find it. :/
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-16, 22:36

I remember having one site that I found some Micmac stuff on. But I hardly remember what site that was. I'll see if I can find out though.

When you said Tlingit, Haida and Koyukon, my mind instantly went to the ANLC Archives.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-11-16, 22:48

ANLC, that's it. Thanks.
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-16, 22:52

Canada through me off, but I'm glad my post still wound up being helpful.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2014-07-01, 21:06

Curse it, my Navajo dictionary's finally arrived and... basically all it has is verbs, and not even that many of them.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-16, 23:26

How many Aboriginals have bannock? Western Canada I know has many groups that make this piece of heaven.

Also, does anyone know of online learning resources for Plains Cree? Unless I missed it in the Learning Resources thread, I couldn't find anything there and perhaps someone knows of one but just hasn't posted it there yet.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-17, 13:34

I can't really recommend any good online resources aside from what's already been found in the resources thread. A quick google search don't turn up much of anything, aside from some short basic lessons.

The main resource I would direct you to, if you can find it in a library or have some cash, is Cree: Language of the Plains by Okimasis. It's one of the better textbooks I've seen (though I don't personally own a copy).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-17, 15:22

Was kinda hoping I didn't have to buy anything, 'cause the library definitely doesn't have any of the books listed (though, I might as well check). Well, thanks anyways :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-17, 16:57

I'm not saying something isn't out there on the net that is worthwhile. But if there is, I haven't found it yet.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-19, 18:34

I really need to study a NAIL already. Perhaps a challenge is in order: Either I stick with a NAI language and gain a reasonable level (at least A-2, but hopefully B-1) or I'll step down as mod towards the end of 2015. (And, no, I'm not posting this as a publicity stunt, just as a record to hold myself accountable.)

Now the only question is, which language? :hmm: I will have to think carefully, as I'll be stuck with it for at least a few months. I'll have to have access to some good, comprehensive lessons, audio and dictionary at the least. I have a few in mind.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-11-19, 18:48

Mohawk! Lushootseed! Navajo! Tlingit! Lakota!

One of those. :lol: Those have enough resources to get you to a pretty good level.
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-19, 19:06

Lakota and Lushootseed are on the list of choices. Mohawk is close, I was thinking more or less Cayuga if I went with an Iroquoian language. Might as well give the full list of choices I'm the thinking of at the moment. :P

Lakota
Lushootseed
Colville-Okanagan Salish
Cayuga
Delaware/Lenape
Cree-Montagnais
Aleut
Iñupiaq

Not that I wouldn't consider others.

Choices, choices. :lol:

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-11-19, 19:35

Ooh, Colville-Okanagan Salish has a lot of resources. :D It's pretty damn hard to pronounce though, harder than Lushootseed. I admit even I have some trouble with it!
Trans woman  Image

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”