General Discussion

księżycowy
Re: General Discussion

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-21, 13:25

You're close. It starts in November. I'll post a general announcement about 2 weeks before in the General Language forum like I did for the Nimaq'ij (and last years Powwow).

Learned tonight that some Algonquin languages use the Canadian Aborignal script, but not Mi'Kmaq. I wish it did--it's pretty cool. Cool enough to make to me wanderlust a little for Ojibwa. :lol:

I know that Cree uses the syllabary. I had thought that Ojibwe had switched over to Latin script, but then again I never have looked into Ojibwe all that much.
Blackfoot used to use a syllabary similar to the one used by Cree (and Inuktitut).

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2012-07-21, 16:56

Yes, Ojibwe uses the CAS. Either that, or they've spent a lot of money on bilingual signs that people can't read. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lakeh ... y_Sign.jpg

I'm flirting with the idea of studying Ojibwe alongside Mi'kmaq. I've been dabbling in a little in Navajo again, but Ojibwe is more closely relaed to Mi'kmaq. Hmmm.... :whistle:

Is anyone else studying Ojibwe right now?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-21, 17:08

Interesting, because I know I've seen learning resources for Ojibwe in only the Latin alphabet. :?
Maybe some Ojibwe use CAS and others use Latin?

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2012-07-21, 17:42

They seem use both, especially given that so many computers do not support CAS fonts.

Speaking of which, has anyone had luck installing fonts from languagegeek.com? I've tried installing the Masinahikan Cree font but it just comes up as a Roman script in Word. :?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-21, 20:07

I use a ton of fonts from LanguageGeek, but I'm not sure if I have that particular font/keyboard installed. Let me check.

*goes and checks*

I have the "build a syllable" Eastern Cree font and I double checked it in MS Office and it works fine.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2012-07-21, 20:45

I can't figure out what the problem is. I'm using Vista. When I download the font, unzip and open it, it looks like basic Roman font and doesn't have an install button at top. I don't know what that means. I've tried three other fonts--same thing. Tried searching the web for a resolution and all i found were people who had the same problem with other fonts, but no one seems to have an answer.

I'll see if I can download them on my Windows 7 PC later. Wasted too much time on it today already. :evil:

EDIT: just checked and sa that build a font Cree is something different. I'll see if I can download that with the keyboard layout--maybe that'll work. And then I'LL FLOOD THE FORUM WITH CANADIAN ABORIGINAL SYLLABARY. :twisted:

Well. I can fantasize about it, right?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-08-05, 14:30

So, quite a while back we were discussing Arikara and posting some lessons for it based off of a textbook freely available through ERIC. The problem we faced at the time was the fact that the pdf file was nearly impossible to read in some places. Well, fear no more. I just so happened to be looking around again and found an actual copy of the physical book on ebay for 10$! Needless to say I bought that sucker right up!
Don't be surprised if Arikara lessons start popping up in the near future! :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-10-19, 0:13

Sign-ups for the Second Annual Powwow have begun!

handsomenavajo01

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2012-10-21, 22:10

Hello everyone! I am a new member here.
I speak a Native American language-Navajo-as well as English.
’Ayóo shaa dzólní, ’aoo’, t’áá íídą́ą́’ shił bééhózin éí lá biniinaa ’at’ééké chxǫǫ́h dashinízin. T’óó ’ádíshní! ;)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-10-22, 10:39

Welcome! I'm glad to see a (native?) speaker of a NAIL (North American Indigenous Language) here! Hope to see you around! :D

handsomenavajo01

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2012-10-22, 23:18

Hello everyone!
So how much do you guys know of Navajo?
’Ayóo shaa dzólní, ’aoo’, t’áá íídą́ą́’ shił bééhózin éí lá biniinaa ’at’ééké chxǫǫ́h dashinízin. T’óó ’ádíshní! ;)

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2012-10-24, 17:08

handsomenavajo01 wrote:Hello everyone! I am a new member here.

Welcome! :D

It's great to have a speaker of Navajo here. I wish you would have been here about a year ago when I tried to learn Navajo. I studied it for about a year and a half and worked through a textbook called "Diné Bizaad: Speak, Read, Write Navajo" and a grammar book but I haven't used it since then and I think I forgot most of it :oops: . I just remember I really liked forming verbs with all the prefixes and putting everything into the right order, but it was also very hard.
[flag=]kl[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag]

handsomenavajo01

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2012-10-25, 1:21

limoneneis wrote:
handsomenavajo01 wrote:Hello everyone! I am a new member here.

It's great to have a speaker of Navajo here. I wish you would have been here about a year ago when I tried to learn Navajo. I studied it for about a year and a half and worked through a textbook called "Diné Bizaad: Speak, Read, Write Navajo" and a grammar book but I haven't used it since then and I think I forgot most of it :oops: . I just remember I really liked forming verbs with all the prefixes and putting everything into the right order, but it was also very hard.

I came across this site just randomly I was looking up Navajo in language forums and this showed up. So the handsomenavajo joined. :)
:mrgreen:

RubyH

Postby RubyH » 2012-11-05, 20:56

I registered with a nicer username, delete the old account which ever that one is.( I thought the account was gone completely. And I had requested this username already, also whats the administrator email?)
–—Help I'm in good repute except for my unannounced far to long absences.
Just wish to report that Im very interested in learning about some of these languages actually all of them.
i'm unfortunately terribly organised.
Also navajo is one of the awesome languages ^^)
[It sounds like this[is this navajo? Improbably is but I prefer bein gin the safe side]]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK-4DgDx7lk

I hope to be of some use on this forum

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-11-05, 23:57

For the account issue, just PM one of the admins.

And as for liking Navajo, join the club. 8-)
I also noticed Arapaho in your profile, that's awesome! But don't forget to put your native language in there either. :wink:

Enjoy the sub-forum. :mrgreen:

RubyH

Postby RubyH » 2012-11-06, 11:49

Yeah I knew that would be awesome so I added it.
Eskimo-Aluet Athabaskhan languages seam particularly interesting, most certainly others i'd love to learn such as mayan.
also I need to do some chinese studying, however I better ask in the chinese forum.
Cherokee,Navajo,Arapaho,Tlingit,Blackfoot,
... and all the other languages that are on my list.
Want to know them all and master them all.
unfortunetly the list of languages doesn't include vulcan.
[It doesn't allow me to do p.m. in the first 24 hours.]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-11-06, 12:44

Well, if you need any help feel free to let me or any of the other regulars around here know.

And feel free to start a thread and start learning!

RubyH

Postby RubyH » 2012-11-12, 13:02

If you know any of th elanguages marked In red, In theory I'm trying to learn those now.
It seams to be mostly as hypothetical as me conlanging.

handsomenavajo01

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2012-11-15, 1:29

I am also learning Dogrib which is very grammatically similar to Navajo. Also, I know how to read their alphabet. It’s pretty close to Navajo’s writing.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-11-15, 13:50

I'm not currently learning Dogrib, but I do plan to soon. I find the Athabascan languages to be one of the more fascinating language families of North America.

Right now I'm a Salish kick.

The main families I'm interested in are Iroquoian, Salish and Athabascan.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”