General Discussion

księżycowy
Re: General Discussion

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-19, 19:52

But that's half the fun! :D :lol:

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-11-20, 14:10

Well all thanks to you I'm becoming interested in CO (no way I'm typing that every time :lol: ) Salish again. ;)

Just listen to those consonant clusters! :shock: :mrgreen:

n̓q̓l̓tiłxʷtn (clinic, hospital)
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-20, 14:43

One vowel in that. Awesome.

I'm glad I could "help." :twisted:

In other news, I'm going to have some time to pick a NAIL. I'm going to keep to my current list (French, Hebrew and Greek) for the next two to three months. Then I'll pick up a NAIL. There is the potential I could start one sooner, but I don't want to interfere with my current progress in the others. So I have some time to play with a few and decide.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-11-20, 15:20

I know how hard it is to decide which language to learn. :para: You and I are high on the list of the worst offenders of wanderlust on this forum, for sure. :lol:

I think I'm more interested in learning Lushootseed than CO Salish if it were to come down to either. I feel a lot closer to Lushootseed (for whatever reason) though I have waaay more resources with which to learn CO Salish.

I am really liking Mohawk though. :D I have the Kanehsatake site and Mohawk: A Teaching Grammar which are both good. Sadly the Teaching Grammar doesn't mark falling tones, though that's probably not too hard to get around. I might like to buy Kanyen'keha Tewatati soon. :)
Trans woman  Image

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2014-11-20, 18:36

Lauren wrote:Well all thanks to you I'm becoming interested in CO (no way I'm typing that every time :lol: ) Salish again. ;)

Just listen to those consonant clusters! :shock: :mrgreen:

n̓q̓l̓tiłxʷtn (clinic, hospital)

Colville-Okanagan and its "sister" language Montana Salish have incredible consonant clusters! That's the main reason I love them :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-11-20, 20:27

Lauren wrote:You and I are high on the list of the worst offenders of wanderlust on this forum, for sure. :lol:

I'd like to think I've gotten better, but there's no denying it still troubles me from time to time. :P

I think I'm more interested in learning Lushootseed than CO Salish if it were to come down to either. I feel a lot closer to Lushootseed (for whatever reason) though I have waaay more resources with which to learn CO Salish.

I am really liking Mohawk though. :D I have the Kanehsatake site and Mohawk: A Teaching Grammar which are both good. Sadly the Teaching Grammar doesn't mark falling tones, though that's probably not too hard to get around. I might like to buy Kanyen'keha Tewatati soon. :)

I feel similar about Cayuga (and Oneida). Chances are really good I'll go with an Iroquoian language, as I've always been very interested in them. They're my first love when it comes to NAILs. :blush: It just is a shame there aren't better resources for Mohawk. I mean, there are a few, but nothing like the other two (aside from the Teaching Grammar).

EDIT: A screw it, I'm going with Cayuga. I remember telling Bingles a month or two ago that's what I would do, so that's what I'm going to do!

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-11-20, 21:01

księżycowy wrote:I'd like to think I've gotten better, but there's no denying it still troubles me from time to time. :P

Yeah, I have too, but not entirely. :oops:

I feel similar about Cayuga (and Oneida). Chances are really good I'll go with an Iroquoian language, as I've always been very interested in them. They're my first love when it comes to NAILs. :blush: It just is a shame there aren't better resources for Mohawk. I mean, there are a few, but nothing like the other two (aside from the Teaching Grammar).

EDIT: A screw it, I'm going with Cayuga. I remember telling Bingles a month or two ago that's what I would do, so that's what I'm going to do!

Glad you came to a decision. :lol: Too bad I'm not nearly as interested in Cayuga as Mohawk, or else it'd be great to have you two to practice with. I don't know, maybe I'll consider it if I can find anything to learn it with. :)
Trans woman  Image

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-15, 5:15

Any of my fellow Natives happy that this forum uses "Native American" and not "Indian" ^^ ? I just realized that (hadn't really crossed my mind before).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-12-15, 11:19

Would you rather it be called Indian as opposed to Native American? I always thought that Native American was the preferred term, at least in the States. I'm neither Canadian nor Native American, so I have no idea how those groups feel.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-15, 15:25

I hate "Indian" being used for us. We have zero relation to India and its people. So I'm happy this forum seems to have this understanding.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-12-15, 16:04

I have to confess I was a bit confused which side you fell under from your initial post. Though I had remembered you had said something about someone in your family having Native blood.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-15, 23:47

Cree <3 I'm half myself. And sorry for causing confusion, I tend to word things weirdly and think they are perfectly fine :blush: .

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-24, 20:16

This post made me realize that the word for 'hi' in Cayuga is almost exactly the same as in Lnuismk ("Micmac"). I wonder whether that greeting is widespread in northeastern America.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-12-24, 21:07

From what I remember it's pretty common among the Iroquoian languages, so yeah, probably.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-24, 21:35

Ah, I think I found my answer here:
Many of the Council Fire Allies still use a variation of "Kwe" (Kwai in Abenaki, Kwe-kwe in Mohawk, Kue in Innu) as a greeting. This was a standardized greeting called the "common signal" that let people know the visitor was an ally.

:)

Bingles

Postby Bingles » 2014-12-25, 0:53

I know Cayugas use the greeting too, I think all Iroquois nations do as well.
[flag=]cay[/flag]
Gayogo̱hnǫ’ gadewayę’s
I am studying the Cayuga language.
Joe gya:sǫh. Kanadagwa:dih hǫ:weh knagre’ ne’ wa’ne:.
[i]My name is Joe. I live on the Canadian side right now

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-25, 16:03

Including Onondaga? I seem to be having trouble finding evidence that they do. I'm not totally sure about Oneida either, although I think they have it, too. :hmm:

Bingles

Postby Bingles » 2014-12-25, 18:39

vijayjohn wrote:Including Onondaga? I seem to be having trouble finding evidence that they do. I'm not totally sure about Oneida either, although I think they have it, too. :hmm:

Mmm, ok maybe not all but I hear it being said from lots of people of different nations!
[flag=]cay[/flag]
Gayogo̱hnǫ’ gadewayę’s
I am studying the Cayuga language.
Joe gya:sǫh. Kanadagwa:dih hǫ:weh knagre’ ne’ wa’ne:.
[i]My name is Joe. I live on the Canadian side right now

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-12-25, 19:13

On a separate note, after a comment or two by Vijay I did some digging around and have discovered that the Métis are considered an Aboriginal people by Canada, so I think Michif should be considered a NAIL. If it's good enough for Canada, it's good enough for me! :wink:

I've asked the admins to move the thread.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-25, 19:33

Bingles wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Including Onondaga? I seem to be having trouble finding evidence that they do. I'm not totally sure about Oneida either, although I think they have it, too. :hmm:

Mmm, ok maybe not all but I hear it being said from lots of people of different nations!

Oh, absolutely. I found evidence that all the other languages use it, I'm pretty sure. I mean, this page right here has similar greetings in a whole bunch of Iroquoian and Algonquian languages. There's even a Seneca radio station called WGWE. :lol:
księżycowy wrote:On a separate note, after a comment or two by Vijay I did some digging around and have discovered that the Métis are considered an Aboriginal people by Canada, so I think Michif should be considered a NAIL. If it's good enough for Canada, it's good enough for me! :wink:

I've asked the admins to move the thread.

Oh OK, thanks! I asked about this last year in this thread. It was moved to the "Other languages" forum, because I didn't think about any reasons why it should be here instead until now, more than a year later! :lol:

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”