General Discussion

handsomenavajo01
Re: General Discussion

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2012-11-16, 3:24

księżycowy wrote:I'm not currently learning Dogrib, but I do plan to soon. I find the Athabascan languages to be one of the more fascinating language families of North America.

Right now I'm a Salish kick.

The main families I'm interested in are Iroquoian, Salish and Athabascan.

I could help you with Dogrib, possibly though I am not a speaker of the language really.
Athabaskans rule. Diné languages for the win. :mrgreen:
’Ayóo shaa dzólní, ’aoo’, t’áá íídą́ą́’ shił bééhózin éí lá biniinaa ’at’ééké chxǫǫ́h dashinízin. T’óó ’ádíshní! ;)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-12-06, 19:34

Sorry guys, I know I've been absent as of late. Turns out my netbook is on the fritz and my new desktop is taking a bit longer to come then I would like.

At any rate, I'm glad to see a few of you are still working on your NAILCs. :D
I'll be adding to mine shortly. And I'll keep checking in when I can.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-01-20, 19:33

This years Powwow is coming to a close shortly. Thank you to all that participated and expressed interest. It'll be back next year!

Please let me know if you wish to keep your thread, as I'll be archiving the threads 7 days after the end of January. That should give you about 15 days to tell me.

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2013-02-13, 21:41

Well, I'd like to please keep my thread. I will be posting in it soon, as I currently have a busy sceduel and a bad month.
Native American inspired Conlang!
Kaylee - NAILC - Lakȟotiyapi
Learning:lkt (lkt) Next: ru (ru) af (af) bo (bo) ar (ar) cy (cy)/gd (gd)

Thanks to hashi, ronin319, razlem, johntm, Lenguas, jake12,Milya0 and YngNghymru for literally teaching me from nothing, to something big! Thank you guys so much!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-02-13, 22:19

Honestly I had forgotten all about that post, so I didn't touch anyone's thread. Good to have you back! :wink:

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2013-02-14, 23:11

I wish to keep my thread.

(Maybe my post is not necessary, since my thread was already there before the Powwow)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-02-14, 23:50

Oh wow I just saw this. I'd like to keep my thread. I hope to be working on diné bizaad little by little over the year, hence why I've already removed the NAILC tag from the title, as it's just a regular study thread now.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-02-15, 12:01

No problem. I kind of figured I'd end up saving your threads too. :wink:
I'll remove the "NAILC" label from any of your threads, so if you see that missing don't panic.

Everything else is getting archived.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-02-15, 12:04

Massimiliano B wrote:I wish to keep my thread.

(Maybe my post is not necessary, since my thread was already there before the Powwow)

I just realized you have two threads (one for Salish and one for Ojibwe), do you want to keep them both?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-02-15, 12:13

And before I forget, as always, allow me to thank everyone that participated and/or expressed interest in the NAILC portion of the Powwow this past (and present) year. It's getting a bit confusing with the addition of the CSAIL and Eskimo-Aleut Challenge. :P

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2013-02-16, 1:17

księżycowy wrote:I just realized you have two threads (one for Salish and one for Ojibwe), do you want to keep them both?

Yes, I want to keep them both! I want to study Ojibwe too.

Thank you!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-02-16, 12:08

Massimiliano B wrote:Yes, I want to keep them both! I want to study Ojibwe too.

Thank you!

Not a problem. I just wanted to be sure. :)

And seeing as the only other thread from the 2012 NAILC is Bijlee's, I'm not creating archive this year. [Which is good, it gives me time to finish the story I said I'd do for the NAILC. :whistle: ]

hrhenry

Postby hrhenry » 2013-02-16, 16:04

Massimiliano B wrote:
Yes, I want to keep them both! I want to study Ojibwe too.

Glad you're going to continue with it. I enjoying reading your Ojibwe log the last couple months.

R.
==
See my language-learning progress at http://languagehopper.blogspot.com (focusing on Turkçe).
Other language blogs:
Ojibwemowin: http://indoojibwem.blogspot.com
Piemontèis: http://elmepiemonteis.blogspot.com

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-04-27, 14:57

No, you're not seeing things, the Eskimo-Aleut forum is no longer. But fear not, it lives on here in the NAIL forum.

For the time being I'll leave the Eskimo-Aleut threads like the "general" thread, questions thread and the like separate from the NAIL threads. However, if time goes on and there isn't enough activity I'll merge them with the already established NAIL threads of the same. Obviously some of the Eskimo-Aleut specific threads (like the grammar thread, and such) will stay separate.

razlem

Re: General Discussion [NAIL]

Postby razlem » 2013-05-06, 20:14

I just got offered to join a revitalization effort for the Houma language. Apparently it's close to Choctaw, so does anyone have any good linguistic sources for learning that?

It'll be an interesting effort. The last native speakers died at the end of the 1800s, but there are some recordings of songs that were taken about 100 years ago. Most of the population today speaks Houma French, which is essentially 1700-1800s French with flecks of Houma thrown in, so we have to reconstruct it :D
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

księżycowy

Re: General Discussion [NAIL]

Postby księżycowy » 2013-05-06, 20:53

There are quite a few great resources for Choctaw. I highly recommend the textbooks by Marcia Haag, Choctaw Language and Culture.
The best dictionary (by Cyrus Byington) is both available free online and as a reprint.
Unless you're looking for something else.

And that is pretty cool. Keep us posted. Maybe you can post lessons here or something. :wink:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-05-16, 11:52

I've merge the "General Discussion" threads together. I'll also be merging the Learning Resources and Questions/Help threads. They haven't seen enough activity to stay differentiated, nor do I see any reason for different threads of these types anyway.

I'll keep the game threads and media threads separate for a while longer.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-06-11, 14:19

I'd be so much more motivated to learn a NAIL if there were serious resources in print form that were free or cheap. Wait, maybe other libraries have them. I'm off!

baradsonoron

Postby baradsonoron » 2013-07-09, 23:58

Does anybody here speak/know someone who speaks either Penobscot or Passamaquoddy-Maliseet? I live in Maine and would like to learn one of its native languages.

Please PM me if so.
Bárád-dur, unákufênot
Bárád-dur, ais baraské mé paná
Bárád-dur, tukufartasc
Ais unápoton cuéfainaktat unágoladébupotone

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-10, 14:50

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that does. In fact, I don't know anyone that speaks a N.A. language.

And as a general notice:
You guys might notice that the Eskimo-Aleut games and multilingual thread are gone. I've merged them with the respective NAIL threads. So just go off the last thing posted in the thread. It shouldn't cause any problems unless anyone looks back through the threads and gets confused.

Also, you might have noticed that the South American Powwow hasn't been announced yet, I'm merging the Indigenous Language Challenges into one due to participation over the past few years. There hasn't been enough to justify three separate challenges. Sorry to anyone that would want to do all three challenges, but you might have to pick one.
But fear not, the Powwow is coming in November, and will include all North and South American languages, including Eskimo-Aleut!

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”