General Discussion

księżycowy
General Discussion

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-03, 20:31

Just noticed the new compilation of these threads, awesome! :shock:
And it’s probably a good idea to combine them like this too. Thanks guys!
And here’s a general thread to discuss anything about any of these languages or other related subjects! :)
Might as well start looking like a ’real’ thread, eh? 8-)

Struthiomimus

Re: General Thread

Postby Struthiomimus » 2010-11-03, 22:07

Hurray for the new forum! :partyhat:
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

księżycowy

Re: General Thread

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-04, 23:11

I'm going to try and combine all of the language learning resources into one thread over the next few days (probably make a sticky), so please bare with any changes to any threads, or any threads that are deleted (don't plan on deleting any, but you never know!)

Quite a project considering the scope of languages involved, but I hope it'll be worth it!

księżycowy

Re: General Discussion

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-05, 20:13

Got done with the 'Learning Resources' thread! Have fun decoding it! :)
Turned out to be less painful then I though to make!

Nero

Postby Nero » 2010-11-05, 20:56

I like the resources thread - very well organized, very impressive!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-05, 21:34

Nero wrote:I like the resources thread - very well organized, very impressive!

Thanks!
Actually I wasn't sure it'd come out that good, but it is pretty awesome! Not to inflate my ego or anything . . . 8-)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-06, 16:31

Figured I'd gauge interest in Arikara. It's one of the few Caddoan languages that has a great textbook. The only problem is that the copy in the ERIC system is not the clearest (if even readable!) on some pages. And unfortunately I believe the text to be out of print . . . :(

I'd love to try and post the lessons here on a thread so that people could actually read the whole book! It is in public domain now after all. Not sure how to do that though, as all I have to work off is the ERIC version . . . :(

Any suggestions or interest?

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-11-06, 18:51

księżycowy wrote:Any suggestions or interest?

Sure. I completely skipped Pawnee and the other Caddoan languages, but I'd definitely add it to my repertoire or NDN languages.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-06, 21:49

Ok, I'll look over the text to see how readable it is, and how much I can figure out.
(Though I'm doubtful) anyone have an actual copy of the book?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-06, 23:22

Well we might have some potential for this endeavor, if someone can manage to get a copy from a library.
I was looking through the listings at WorldCat.org and it doesn't seem like there's a library that has it close enough to me . . . :(

Otherwise we might be out of luck. Too much of the pdf copy is unreadable . . .

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-07, 14:06

Just moved some of the links in the various threads to the Learning Resources thread.
Sorry if this confuses anyone. Nor do I want people feeling like they can't post links in any thread they want.

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2010-11-15, 10:26

księżycowy wrote:Well we might have some potential for this endeavor, if someone can manage to get a copy from a library.
I was looking through the listings at WorldCat.org and it doesn't seem like there's a library that has it close enough to me . . . :(

Otherwise we might be out of luck. Too much of the pdf copy is unreadable . . .

I have searched the local university library system as well but could not find anything. Sometimes the local libraries can order books from other libraries farther away. You could try that. Anyway if you post lessons I will definitely be interested. Although I don't really have time to learn another language... Three languages is almost more than I can handle :para: .
[flag=]kl[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-15, 12:38

I'll see what I can do. I happen to have a friend with a library card for the Rochester library system, so that might get me somewhere.

Really should get a library card myself sometime . . .

johnH

Postby johnH » 2010-11-16, 14:20

So little activity I would like to contribute.‹(·—·)› I can't really contribute I guess your right about the mergers for once. ‹(O.O)› with larger topics I personally like them to be seperated out. but… I’m sure by the time the topics do get big their’ll be plenty of languages :para: .‹·—·› Australian aboriginal languages, are also fascinating.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-16, 14:47

johnH wrote:So little activity I would like to contribute.‹(·—·)› I can't really contribute I guess your right about the mergers for once.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure I speak for Nero just as much as for myself.

‹·—·› Australian aboriginal languages, are also fascinating.

This sub-forum is for Native American languages, but yes the Australian languages are fascinating.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-11-17, 2:56

Well, they sure are...something. Interesting isn't the word I'd use ;P
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-11-17, 8:11

ILuvEire wrote:Well, they sure are...something. Interesting isn't the word I'd use ;P

Stromethius is our local Aborigine expert. I took one class (literally one class) of Warlpiri. I'm too much into NDN and West African languages to devote any time to them, so I dropped it. (The teacher was a very pretty girl, a rare find in that sprachbund.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-17, 10:46

Formiko wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:Well, they sure are...something. Interesting isn't the word I'd use ;P

Stromethius is our local Aborigine expert. I took one class (literally one class) of Warlpiri. I'm too much into NDN and West African languages to devote any time to them, so I dropped it. (The teacher was a very pretty girl, a rare find in that sprachbund.

Not that I want to make this the place to discuss such languages, but I will agree with both of you for the most part!

johnH

Postby johnH » 2010-11-17, 12:37

Yes fascinating as are all the languages we want to learn.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-23, 18:03

Have we officially gone necro? 8-)

[Mostly joking :lol: But only mostly. :roll: ]

Or should I use Struth's 'going green' moniker! :P

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”