ᏣᎳᎩ / Cherokee

Mol_Bolom
Re: Cherokee

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2010-10-13, 6:34

How does ᎬᎵᎡᎵᎦ compare against ᎤᎵᎮᎵᏍᏗ?

ᎬᎵᎡᎵᎦ? Odd spelling, but ohkay.

A Cherokee I spoke to many years ago had given me one, gvyalihelijea (with the benefactive suffix), something along the line of "I am grateful/thankful/happy for you".

that ᎤᎵᎮᎵᏍᏗ (he will be happy / thankful) is future form of ᎠᎵᎮᎵᎦ (he is happy / thankful) and that your ᎬᎵᎡᎵᎦ gvlieliga matches pretty close to ᎦᎵᎡᎵᎦ (I am happy / thankful).

Think of aliheliga as the same as ega (he is going), if it is in the future tense, then it would be egesdi, so therefore aliheliga in the future would be aliheligesdi (He will be happy/thankful). Since the pronoun in ulihelisdi changes from "a" to "u", therefore it can only be either past tense (preterite) or infinitive (such as to in "to eat"). ulihelisdi pretty much translates to either "He is able to be thankful", or "For him to be thankful".

I've seen ulihelisdi used as a generic form of welcome/happy/merry, not necessarily aimed at a specific subject. Such as in Merry Christmas (ulihelisdi danisdayohihv) or Happy New Year (Ulihelisdi ije deti). Which leaves Welcome (ulihelisdi -- For one to be thankful).

In words such as ulihelisdi, the pronoun "u" (or "a", "ga", "g", or "ka") when used with the infinitive means something like "For one to". An Exit (unvgoisdi -- For one to exit), an Entrance (uyvsdi -- For one to enter).

Look at the word gvhdi (For one to use) in the sentence, "How do you say 'Hello' in Cherokee?"
gado adisgo "hello" gvhdi tsalagi?
The word gvhdi has no specific subject, also there is no "you" used in this sentence at all.
Basically the sentence translates to "What does one say "hello" [while] one uses Cherokee?".

(I have been tinkering around with Flashqard trying to create some flashcards for teaching more about the pronouns, other prefixes and suffixes. Unfortunately, I just haven't had much time, so far I've got most of the Set A pronouns and that's it...)

FYI:
ᎪᎯ according to the dictionary means "a while ago"
ᎪᎯ ᏴᎢ means "later, after a while"

Heh, we've had this discussion before, ;).

ᎣᏍᎨᎮᏍᏛ ᎪᎢᎦ

I'm with ᏩᏯᏩᏯ on this, I think it's several words. As for what those words are exactly, good question.

If osda is shortened, like words in Cherokee are becoming now days, could be Osd (therefore, you may not hear the 'd' at the end of it in rapid speech).

I'm with ᏩᏯᏩᏯ on goiga, though for me it would be would be ko iga (short form of kohi, and iga).

That leaves gehesdv. Though, both os + gehesdv could just as easily be "osda hesdv" (Many people I have repeat Cherokee words often times hear a "g" sound when there's a "t/d" sound). Also, if that is the case, then the words could just as easily be "osd ehesdv" or "osda ehesdv" (considering sometimes the final vowel can be spoken so rapidly that it's almost inaudible).

Anyway, the best guess I can come up with (for what I know) is "Osda hehesdi ko iga" (Good you will be today). Basically "You will be well today". However, the only odd part is that it would be better with the future imperative suffix, which then would be something like "Osda hehv ko iga" (The only reason I'm saying that would make more sense is because of Donadagohv "we will see each other again", else wise we would be saying "Donadagohtisgesdi" instead).

Anyway, I stayed up way too late and need to get to sleep...So that's my thoughts for the moment...

Edit>>>

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ, if you are having trouble reading the texts, have you tried using CTRL + Mouse wheel? That's how I enlarge text on Chrome.

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ

Postby ᏩᏯᏩᏯ » 2010-10-17, 6:06

What is the meaning and usage of ᎬᎩ?

I found it in the following from http://www.cherokeenewtestament.org/1104.html

ᎠᎴ ᎬᏍᏗᏰᏗᎭ ᎾᏍᏉ ᏂᎯ ᏂᏣᏠᎾᏍᏛᎾ ᎬᎩ Ꮎ ᏖᏆᎶᎯ, ᎬᎩ ᏍᏕᎸᏗᏱ Ꮎ ᎠᏂᎨᏴ ᎬᎩᏍᏕᎸᎯᏙᎸᎯ ᏓᎩᎸᏫᏍᏓᏁᎸ ᎦᎵᏥᏙᏂᏙᎲ ᎣᏍᏛ ᎧᏃᎮᏛ, ᎯᏯᏠᏯᏍᏔᏅᎭ ᎾᏍᏉ ᏞᎻᎾ ᎠᎴ ᎠᏂᏐᎢ ᎤᏠᏱ ᏦᎩᎸᏫᏍᏓᏁᎯ, ᎾᏍᎩ ᏚᎾᏙᎥ ᏥᏕᎪᏪᎳ ᎬᏂᏛ ᎠᏓᏁᎯ ᎪᏪᎵᎯ.

And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

I have cross-posted this question at http://www.cherokeelessons.com/comments.php

Mol_Bolom

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2010-10-17, 15:29

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ wrote:What is the meaning and usage of ᎬᎩ?

I found it in the following from http://www.cherokeenewtestament.org/1104.html

ᎠᎴ ᎬᏍᏗᏰᏗᎭ ᎾᏍᏉ ᏂᎯ ᏂᏣᏠᎾᏍᏛᎾ ᎬᎩ Ꮎ ᏖᏆᎶᎯ, ᎬᎩ ᏍᏕᎸᏗᏱ Ꮎ ᎠᏂᎨᏴ ᎬᎩᏍᏕᎸᎯᏙᎸᎯ ᏓᎩᎸᏫᏍᏓᏁᎸ ᎦᎵᏥᏙᏂᏙᎲ ᎣᏍᏛ ᎧᏃᎮᏛ, ᎯᏯᏠᏯᏍᏔᏅᎭ ᎾᏍᏉ ᏞᎻᎾ ᎠᎴ ᎠᏂᏐᎢ ᎤᏠᏱ ᏦᎩᎸᏫᏍᏓᏁᎯ, ᎾᏍᎩ ᏚᎾᏙᎥ ᏥᏕᎪᏪᎳ ᎬᏂᏛ ᎠᏓᏁᎯ ᎪᏪᎵᎯ.

And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

I have cross-posted this question at http://www.cherokeelessons.com/comments.php

[edit]
Don't know why I don't check the links...Sheesh...
Anyway, I checked the link a moment ago and noticed that in the image, ᎬᎩ Ꮎ ᏖᏆᎶᎯ, ᎬᎩ ᏍᏕᎸᏗᏱ are actually two words, not four words. Just misspelled in the Unicode font.
[/edit]

ᎠᎴ ᎬᏍᏗᏰᏗᎭ ᎾᏍᏉ ᏂᎯ ᏂᏣᏠᎾᏍᏛᎾ ᎬᎩ Ꮎ ᏖᏆᎶᎯ
and I...you-??? |ᎾᏍᏉ| you not-you-hypocrite |gvgi| that |tegwalohi|.

{Hmm, all three words could be a single word, or it may be a name, or an unknown}.

ᎬᎩ ᏍᏕᎸᏗᏱ
ᎬᎩᏍᏕᎸᎯᏙᎸᎯ
{I'm only guessing here, that this is in the first person. "[ I ] help those women which laboured with me".
Thus in the roman script this should look something like...
gvgisdelvdiyi, or gvgsdelvdiyi
gvgsdelvhidolvhi
Not really sure the purpose of -di-/-dol-, but it translates to either...
gvgsdelvdiyi : I to help them / my helping them
gvgsdelvhidolvhi : I had been to help them / I was able to help them
gvgsdelvhidolvhi : I had used them to help / I had used it to help them.

If this is correct then the first one gvgi na tegwalohi might actually be something like "gvginhtegwalohi / gvginategwalohi". since it occurs after "ᏂᏣᏠᎾᏍᏛᎾ", I'm guessing that it is one word since there doesn't seem to be anything more to that sentence.

And I...you-[?] [?] you you-nonhypocrite [? ? ?], I...them-help that women I...them-helped I-worked [?] good book, {_} [?] Clement and others like we-workers, that their-names that-book life [?] book.

{_}, this means that the word might be known, but without knowing why it was used, it is then difficult to translate.

This is where we "really" need a traditional, fluent, speaker helping us...Much of this just doesn't make much sense. (Also, there could be numerous mistakes that a fluent speaker/reader would be able to notice just as we can with English words that are misspelled. Such as "I under stand". I've seen a fair share of mistakes in Cherokee written texts.)

ᎾᏍᎩ ᏚᎾᏙᎥ ᏥᏕᎪᏪᎳ ᎬᏂᏛ ᎠᏓᏁᎯ ᎪᏪᎵᎯ.
Those names that were just now written in the book of life.
(ᏥᏕᎪᏪᎳ This word is confusing. Was this book finished being written at that moment or was it written long before? The tense and pronoun doesn't seem to go with the paragraph.)

ᎬᎩ ᏍᏕᎸᏗᏱ Ꮎ ᎠᏂᎨᏴ ᎬᎩᏍᏕᎸᎯᏙᎸᎯ ᏓᎩᎸᏫᏍᏓᏁᎸ ᎦᎵᏥᏙᏂᏙᎲ ᎣᏍᏛ ᎧᏃᎮᏛ
My helping those women, helped them worked in the gospel.
(Some of this seems rather redundant)

Anyway, that's all I could figure out for the moment.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-10-18, 2:01

Mol_Bolom wrote:Anyway, that's all I could figure out for the moment.

Paul was oing blind, and Phillippians was written while he was in prison, so he dictated this and Romans while in prison. That's why we joking ly say that Paul invented the run on sentence. A native Aramaic and Hebrew speaker, who spoke Greek as a second language. He was THINKING in Hebrew while dictating this letter. I'll ask my friend whether or not gvgi is a partcle.
Phillipians 4:3 in a more modern translation:

And I ask you, my faithful fellow worker,to help these two women, for they worked hard with me in telling others the Good News. They worked along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are written in the Book of Life.

Some schlolars say the word Συζυγοσ (Syzygos)is a proper name, because Paul is speaking to more than one person in this paragraph. (Euodia and to Syntyche for example) But, Συζυγοσ is not known as a proper name in Greek literature.
I think Paul could have deliberately kept unnamed someone he particularly wanted to help with the dispute between Euodias and Syntyche. Sometimes people who diplomatically bring people back together work better when the attention is not drawn to them.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ

Cherokee: I have added a new section "Syllabary Exercises"

Postby ᏩᏯᏩᏯ » 2010-10-18, 2:18

I have added a new section called "Syllabary Exercises" to the website: http://www.cherokeelessons.com/Super-Ch ... -Practice/ Feedback via the comments page both welcome and requested. ᏩᏙ.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-10-18, 18:43

My Cherokee friend emailed this to me:
"I believe it's (ᎬᎩ) a version of the word for planting or establishing. Anisgvti, "They plant." Remember that the NT was translated from the 1820s to 1850s, many of the words aren't in common usage anymore."

I'm not sure if that helps
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Mol_Bolom

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2010-10-18, 23:18

Formiko wrote:My Cherokee friend emailed this to me:
"I believe it's (ᎬᎩ) a version of the word for planting or establishing. Anisgvti, "They plant." Remember that the NT was translated from the 1820s to 1850s, many of the words aren't in common usage anymore."

I'm not sure if that helps

I found out that it was a misspelling. On the site that ᏩᏯᏩᏯ linked to, the unicode characters were not entered correctly and the words "ᎬᎩ Ꮎ ᏖᏆᎶᎯ, ᎬᎩ ᏍᏕᎸᏗᏱ" were actually two words, not five separate words. Also, in the unicode example, there's a missing comma before ᎬᎩᎾᏖᏆᎶᎯ. As well as some "fonts" have imaginary spaces after certain characters so it may seem that there is a space.

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ

Postby ᏩᏯᏩᏯ » 2010-10-19, 0:08

this just in from Facebook posts:

facebook people wrote:Ed Jumper Osda iga jajeli gesesdi, in English "let a good day be yours"/
3 hours ago · Like

John Junior Vsgidv!
about an hour ago · Like

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=161029687254661&id=100001218842338&po=1

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ

Postby ᏩᏯᏩᏯ » 2010-10-19, 22:55

ILuvEire wrote:Osiyo :] Just out of curiosity, if I were to learn Cherokee, would it make learning other Iroquoian languages easier? Or would it not effect me really?

Learning Cherokee will make the fundamental concepts a lot easier in any of the other polysynthetic Iroquoian languages.

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ

Postby ᏩᏯᏩᏯ » 2010-10-19, 23:16

Formiko wrote:
ᏩᏯᏩᏯ wrote:(I have a hard time seeing the unilang cherokee font display, try setting or so ...
ᏥᏈᏍᏗ ᏩᏙ.

So... when are you gonna get a headset so that I can add your voice to the MP3s ?

ᏣᎳᎩ ᎯᏬᏂᎭ ᏥᎦᏘᏯ

I have one! When do you need me?

ᏒᎯ! :D

ᏗᏎᏍᏗ wrote:ᏌᏊ / sagwu
ᏔᎵ / ta?li
ᏦᎢ / jo?i
ᏅᎩ / nvhgi
ᎯᏍᎩ / hisgi
ᏑᏓᎵ / sudali
ᎦᎶᏉᎩ / gahlgwogi
ᏣᏁᎳ / chanela
ᏐᏁᎳ / sohnela
ᏍᎪᎯ / sgohi
ᏌᏚ / sa?du
ᏔᎶᏚ / ta?ldu
ᏦᎦᏚ / jo?ga?du
ᏂᎦᏚ / niga?du
ᏍᎩᎦᏚ / sgiga?du
ᏓᎳᏚ / daladu
ᎦᎶᏆᏚ / gahlgwadu
ᏁᎳᏚ / neladu
ᏐᏁᎳᏚ / sohneladu
ᏔᎶᏍᎪᎯ / ta?lsgohi

Ordinal wrote:ᎢᎬᏱᎢ / igvyi?i
ᏔᎵᏁᎢ / ta?line?i
ᏦᎢᏁᎢ / jo?ine?i
ᏅᎩᏁᎢ / nvhgine?i
ᎯᏍᎩᏁᎢ / hisgine?i
ᏑᏓᎵᏁᎢ / sudaline?i
ᎦᎶᏉᎩᏁᎢ / gahlgwogine?i
ᏣᏁᎵᏁᎢ / chaneline?i
ᏐᏁᎵᏁᎢ / sohneline?i
ᏍᎪᎯᏁᎢ / sgohine?i
ᏌᏚᏏᏁᎢ / sa?dusine?i
ᏔᎶᏚᏏᏁᎢ / ta?ldusine?i
ᏦᎦᏚᏏᏁᎢ / jo?ga?dusine?i
ᏂᎦᏚᏏᏁᎢ / niga?dusine?i
ᏍᎩᎦᏚᏏᏁᎢ / sgiga?dusine?i
ᏓᎳᏚᏏᏁᎢ / daladusine?i
ᎦᎵᏆᏚᏏᏁᎢ / gahlgwadusine?i
ᏁᎳᏚᏏᏁᎢ / neladusine?i
ᏐᏁᎳᏚᏏᏁᎢ / sohneladusine?i

ᎦᎵᎡᎵᎦ ᏩᏙ!

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ

Re: Cherokee / ᏗᎠᎳᎩ ᎠᏃᏪᎸᏍᎦ

Postby ᏩᏯᏩᏯ » 2010-10-24, 5:59

Picking up from this conversation:
[url]
http://www.facebook.com/walltowall.php? ... 1375172469
[/url]

ᏗᏣᎳᎩ ᎠᏃᏪᎸᏍᎦ "Cherokee Writing"

ᏣᎳᎩ - ᏲᏁᎦ ᏗᏕᏠᏆᏍᏙᏗ wrote:from pg 288

-g-, progressive

form: -g-. When preceded by various suffixes, as noted above, -g- frequently becomes -h-; note (65).

(65) a. ᎦᏬᏂᏍᎨᏍᏗ. gawonisgesdi. "He will be speaking"
(65) b. ᎦᏬᏂᏏᏙᎮᏍᏗ. gawonisidohesdi. "He will be going around speaking."
-g- also undergoes changes when preceded directly by verb stems of various classes of verbs. .....
(66) ᎦᏬᏂᎭ. gawoniha. "He is speaking."
(67) ᎦᏬᏂᏍᎬᎢ. gawonisgvi "He was speaking."

function: -g- is used with verb forms describing an or state in progress or which is habitual. Progressive verb forms are shown in (65-67); note the use of -g- in habitual forms such as (68).
(68) ᎦᏬᏂᏍᎪᎢ. gawonisgoi. "He speaks habitually."

pg288 wrote:Perhaps the term "non-punctual" might be more appropriate than "progressive" as a label for -g-; it is used with verb forms which do not refer to a specific oin in time, but it is not used with those that do.

To illustrate this distinction, compare (69) and (70).
(69) a. ᎦᏬᏂᏍᎬᎢ. gawonisgv?i "He was speaking"
(70) b. ᎤᏬᏂᏒᎢ. uwonisv?i "He spoke." (at a specific point in time)

Mol_Bolom

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2010-10-24, 6:06

Could you repost it here viewtopic.php?f=99&t=31684&p=638582#p638582

I would like to start a new thread for each discussion we have. Perhaps it'll help to clean this thread up some...

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ

Postby ᏩᏯᏩᏯ » 2010-10-24, 6:15

Mol_Bolom wrote:Could you repost it here viewtopic.php?f=99&t=31684&p=638582#p638582

I would like to start a new thread for each discussion we have. Perhaps it'll help to clean this thread up some...

I find it hard to keep track of things here if not under this post as we don't have a forum.... (i will add to www.cherokeelessons.com soon...)

pasting...

Mol_Bolom

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2010-10-24, 6:22

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ wrote:
I find it hard to keep track of things here if not under this post as we don't have a forum.... (i will add to http://www.cherokeelessons.com soon...)

Granted, but hopefully we can create enough topics that they'll finally let us have our own forum, :mrgreen:...

All in all though, I miss cherokee-online. Too bad Sky went on to bigger and better things...Perhaps someday there'll be another cherokee-online as good as the last one...Fingers crossed...

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ

Re: Cherokee Online ?

Postby ᏩᏯᏩᏯ » 2010-10-24, 7:09

Mol_Bolom wrote:
All in all though, I miss cherokee-online. Too bad Sky went on to bigger and better things...Perhaps someday there'll be another cherokee-online as good as the last one...Fingers crossed...

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ

Postby ᏩᏯᏩᏯ » 2010-10-25, 3:18

Mol_Bolom wrote:Granted, but hopefully we can create enough topics that they'll finally let us have our own forum, :mrgreen:...

Why not create a new Cherokee-Online ? :hmm:

And... I am not sure I am willing to wait on "enough topics", it doesn't seem that Cherokee speakers show up here very much, even with explicit links to here... ?????.

Could be a cultural thing..... might need a dedicated site for them to use... with optional facebook and whatever login capable ...

I am not sure I want it ... but I am considering adding a Cherokee Languages forum to http://www.cherokeelessons.com/

Thoughts anyone?

Mol_Bolom

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2010-10-25, 4:46

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ wrote:Why not create a new Cherokee-Online ? :hmm:

Would be great, but who'd do it?

I am not sure I want it ... but I am considering adding a Cherokee Languages forum to http://www.cherokeelessons.com/

Thoughts anyone?

From what sky told me, and what little I had tinkered around with php, it's kind of a pain in the arse. Just one more thing to have to figure out, not to mention upkeep, and all that comes with running a forum...Though, just ask Jeremy at Linuxquestions and unilang (or whoever is the maintainer of this site), they might be able to give you some pointers.

Probably the biggest hurdle will be deciding on the looks and how a user will interact with the site...Though, I am curious as to how someone decides how much space to use for a forum site, and especially curious as to how someone starts a forum based site. (I'm going to ask Hashi this after I'm done with this).

Anyway, I'd sure like to see another cherokee-online. It was a lot like this site, though with far more to it in certain areas, and not as much in others. (Such as there were no wiki's at that time).

<Edit> Oh, I also forgot, after I lost my internet back in the mid 1990's, I had tried to get on cherokee-online and couldn't. A few weeks later I had found out that it had been hacked...So that's something to keep in mind as well, ;).

Mol_Bolom

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2010-10-25, 5:05

Ok, I found a few things...

http://www.phpbb.com/ (Here)
http://www.simplemachines.org/ (http://forum.langwiki.info)

http://www.vbulletin.com/ (Commercial) (http://www.ronpaulforums.com | http://www.physicsforums.com)

Then there are "free" boards...Though I'm not exactly sure these would be the best choices...

http://www.proboards.com/
http://www.freeforums.org/ (This one looked horrible in google-chrome)
http://www.forumotion.com/

All in all, it would probably be better to have at least a template, and go from there. phpbb and simplemachines seems the best of the choices.

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ

Postby ᏩᏯᏩᏯ » 2010-10-25, 12:05

Mol_Bolom wrote:Ok, I found a few things...

All in all, it would probably be better to have at least a template, and go from there. phpbb and simplemachines seems the best of the choices.

For a Cherokee dedicated forum: It was from a moderation point of view that I was looking. :)
East vs West vs the other West, non-Federal vs Federal, etc. I can definitely imagine lots of not so sacred flame threads burning away. :)

For a "Cherokee-Online" site: Again, moderation, news finding/filtering, other? ...

Mol_Bolom

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2010-10-25, 15:31

ᏩᏯᏩᏯ wrote:For a Cherokee dedicated forum: It was from a moderation point of view that I was looking. :)
East vs West vs the other West, non-Federal vs Federal, etc. I can definitely imagine lots of not so sacred flame threads burning away. :)

For a "Cherokee-Online" site: Again, moderation, news finding/filtering, other? ...

Moderation? Moderation? Isn't that the slogan of the FAT (Frogs Against Toads), a racist organization of frogs with noble birth rights who believe they are superior to the lowly toads?

</end WTF>

Woops, kind of went overboard, eh? I've had an idea of starting a site like that since I figured out that it was gone. Actually, it was the only reason I even tried to learn php.

Anyway, basically what you have is decent enough as is. Perhaps even adding a social networking group as well? www.multiply.com, though I have an account I don't like it, but it would be a good example, at least. Like a forum, it has a lot of potential in that a person can write large texts rather than small texts like facebook. Also, each user has the ability to have texts on their own members page (Here's mine http://molbolom.multiply.com/, and here's the group that I joined http://learninglanguagesfun.multiply.com/).

I would never suggest using Multiply, though. 1. The interface is rather ugly. 2. Although it is decent, it's layout is horrible IMO. Though, I don't know if there is any place that is similar to it with a better layout.

Anyway, that's one way I can think of, logically...

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”