Navajo (Diné bizaad)

limoneneis
Re: Navajo (Diné bizaad)

Postby limoneneis » 2010-08-02, 20:07

Yeshua.C wrote:Hi, limoneneis, how's it going?

I've just recently started learning Navajo and I'm really enjoying it. I have a feeling that the language is extremely deep and I've barely started to scratch the surface. I'm using the same book as you (although I have other resources) and it's good but nit quite enough. I've had this problem with all the minority languages I've tried to learn in the past. However, I think I can overcome this problem this time around.

Contact me and we can get together and work on it, and I can share some resources with you. :)

Hi Yeshua, I also have some other resources, but most of them are either really old or written for linguists or teachers, so I find it hard to learn from them. Except for one book about verbs which is really good. What resources do you have? You can PM me if you want :) . Where are you in the book?

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2010-08-30, 18:14

I love how the verbs are built! It's like a puzzle :D
[flag=]kl[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag]

Stevey7788

Postby Stevey7788 » 2010-09-16, 21:58

A Wiktionary admin and I have been busy adding words on http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix: ... _languages

Contrubutions are greatly appreciated, and I hope you guys find it useful!
One of the best vocabulary resources ever. YOU can contribute too! http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Swadesh_lists

Imagine a site where you can view standardized word lists of every language on the planet. For free. Check out http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiVocab

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2010-10-25, 15:46

Here you can learn some simple sentences and play a game to learn numbers and animals (with audio):

http://www.gomyson.com

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2010-11-15, 10:04

Is anyone still learning Navajo? I am now at lesson 11 in my book (Diné bizaad: Speak, Read, Write Navajo). It's really good! It's just taking me much longer to go through the lessons than I thought. There is so much information. And I still don't understand why you have to use perfective mode for the verb "to start going"... I thought I could finish the first 10 lessons in a month :lol: . Now it's taking me two weeks to go through each lesson :D. But I won't give up! I'll make it through all 30 lessons :twisted:.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-15, 12:40

Give me a while to get through some of the ones I'm on now and I'd be happy to start learning some myself! 8-)
Navajo and Apache are definitely on my 'to do list.'

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-11-16, 9:25

księżycowy wrote:Give me a while to get through some of the ones I'm on now and I'd be happy to start learning some myself! 8-)
Navajo and Apache are definitely on my 'to do list.'

Apache is just a dialect of Navajo. Just don't tell the Navajo that :)
The Apache can understand the Navajo, but the Navajo can't necessarily understand the Apache.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-16, 11:13

Formiko wrote:Apache is just a dialect of Navajo. Just don't tell the Navajo that :)
The Apache can understand the Navajo, but the Navajo can't necessarily understand the Apache.

Indeed. Language or dialect, Apache is quite similar to Navajo. Interesting that the Navajo can't necessarily understand Apache though. Is that because of some cultural/historical reason?

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-11-17, 6:59

księżycowy wrote:
Formiko wrote:Apache is just a dialect of Navajo. Just don't tell the Navajo that :)

Indeed. Language or dialect, Apache is quite similar to Navajo. Interesting that the Navajo can't necessarily understand Apache though. Is that because of some cultural/historical reason?

I think it's because when the Navajo and Apache split off, they started developing separately. From what some Navajo have told me, Apache sounds like Archaic Navajo. Many words are pronounced differently or just different words completely. I can't think of any off the top of my head. I would say it's more akin to the difference between a thick Scottish brogue and Louisiana English. The old people can get along fine, but lazy young people don't want to put in the extra effort to understand an Apache.
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-17, 10:48

Interesting indeed. And sad that the younger generation is like that. That's part of the reason a lot of the N.A. languages are dying off IMO.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-11-17, 12:13

księżycowy wrote:Interesting indeed. And sad that the younger generation is like that. That's part of the reason a lot of the N.A. languages are dying off IMO.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, the the native population would rather get high on meth than learn their ancient tongue :(
In no particular order

johnH

Postby johnH » 2010-11-17, 13:25

I’d prefer to ignore that but I can't :doggy: .

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-11-18, 3:28

I'd like to get high with all of them and then speak Mohawk together.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-11-18, 5:41

ILuvEire wrote:I'd like to get high with all of them and then speak Mohawk together.

I hope you're kidding.
In no particular order

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-11-18, 9:33

Formiko wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:I'd like to get high with all of them and then speak Mohawk together.

I hope you're kidding.

Indeed. Especially since we've been discussing Navajo in the thread.

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2010-12-13, 20:20

I did an exercise from my book today. You had to write a short text. If anyone knows enough Navajo to correct it please feel free to do so :). Here it is:

Adą́ą́dą́ą́' kintahgóó niséyá. Shichidí bee niséyá. Áadi ch'iyáán t'óó ahayóí dóó naaltsoos nahiséłnii'. Naaltsoos ayóo baa shił hózhǫ́. Dzi'izí íiyisíí bíká niséyá. Áko ndi éí ayóo ilį́į́ ńt'éé'. Kintahdi ayóo deesk'aaz ńt'éé'. Kintahgóó niséyáígíí ayóo baa shił hózhǫ́.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-13, 20:49

Formiko? :mrgreen:

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-12-13, 22:39

księżycowy wrote:Formiko? :mrgreen:

I'll have a look later tonight....
In no particular order

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2010-12-20, 12:35

Here is a story about the parts of a flower in Navajo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxTMIKrE ... re=related

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2010-12-20, 12:55

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”