Navajo (Diné bizaad)

klsyinishye
Re: Navajo (Diné bizaad)

Postby klsyinishye » 2012-11-16, 21:36

If you haven't mentioned it yet, here is my list of Navajo resources.
http://navajonow.com/links-2/

There are more reading resources than anything else. Media is spotty, but some are still good to have.

I'm looking into the problem with using the keyboard in the forum. Seems like I'm having problems as well. If I figure it out I'll post.

Bizaadii

Postby Bizaadii » 2012-12-21, 18:29

Kisyinishye, what a fantastic collection of Navajo materials! I didn't realise that "The Navaho Language" was available in its entirety online... I loathe the way that various non-lovers of certain subjects seem to be hoarding rarer books in order to inflate their prices. And I love the children's reading books. I can even pick out the odd sentence or two in them. The only reading book I currently own is a bilingual (Navajo and English) collection of Coyote Tales, which is more than a little beyond my current ability. So, many thanks!

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2013-01-02, 2:43

Last edited by Imyirtseshem on 2013-03-24, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

handsomenavajo01

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2013-01-02, 21:58

I find it odd that non-Navajos want to learn my language. It feels kind of peculiar. :?

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2013-01-03, 8:01

Last edited by Imyirtseshem on 2013-03-24, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

handsomenavajo01

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2013-01-06, 7:09

I would say the first one but we often see it as kind of awkward.
’Ayóo shaa dzólní, ’aoo’, t’áá íídą́ą́’ shił bééhózin éí lá biniinaa ’at’ééké chxǫǫ́h dashinízin. T’óó ’ádíshní! ;)

paintegral

Postby paintegral » 2015-07-25, 16:43

I am planning to visit the Navajo nation (cycle touring) and I was thinking of learning some Navajo. Probably just very basic things, as I only have 5 months. My question is whether it is possible to practice the language there or if only very few people speak it. Also, as I am not Navajo, the feeling I've had so far (after trying to get informed about it through various other people) is a certain rejection, like "you're not Navajo so you shouldn't be learning it". Is this somehow true?

I like to learn the languages of countries I visit, but I am not sure if I am loosing my time with Navajo.

Please excuse my ignorance as I have never been there and I base my views on the reactions of very few people.

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2021-10-26, 6:27

Navajo er tilgjengelig på Duolingo i 3 år nå. Jeg lærer det på Duo.

Le navajo est disponible sur Duolingo depuis 3 ans. Je l'apprends sur Duo.
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2021-10-26, 6:39

paintegral wrote:I am planning to visit the Navajo nation (cycle touring) and I was thinking of learning some Navajo. Probably just very basic things, as I only have 5 months. My question is whether it is possible to practice the language there or if only very few people speak it. Also, as I am not Navajo, the feeling I've had so far (after trying to get informed about it through various other people) is a certain rejection, like "you're not Navajo so you shouldn't be learning it". Is this somehow true?

I like to learn the languages of countries I visit, but I am not sure if I am loosing my time with Navajo.

Please excuse my ignorance as I have never been there and I base my views on the reactions of very few people.

Vet ikke, men det ser ut som om mange av urfolkstammene i USA er besittende av språket og kulturen deres på grunn av kolonialisme og folkemord. De snakker vanligvis om språkene deres som om ingen vil lære det som ikke er medlem av stammen og bruker ofte ord som vår språk i ressursene på internett. Kanskje er det bare godt å lære noen få ord som Hallo og Ha Det om du vil bare lære for å reise dit i flere måneder.

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2021-10-26, 6:41

handsomenavajo01 wrote:I find it odd that non-Navajos want to learn my language. It feels kind of peculiar. :?

Ha’át’éego?

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”