TAC 2018 - הענט

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

הענט
Re: TAC 2017 Dr. House - Español

Postby הענט » 2017-05-12, 5:24

Muchas gracias, Saim.

Vijayjohn : I meant the preterite perfect ( pretérito anterior).

Hube, hubiste, hubo, hubimos, hubisteis, hubieron estado (amado, temido etc.)

I want to learn all the tenses, but my priority is to learn the most common ones first. :)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-05-12, 7:13

Dr. House wrote:
Okay. Anyway even this book says that plusquamperfectum is used more than anterior and that future subjunctives are rarely used.

So can I avoid them for now?

Can I say : Apenas había salido, el vecino le llamó. (Apenas hubo salido, el vecino le llamó.)

La verdad es que el pretérito anterior no lo utilizo demasiado, a no ser que sea en un registro más formal o por escrito.

Also the past subjunctive -ara vs -ase etc. The book says they are interchangeable and their use depends on aesthetics only. Is it true?

Sí, es verdad, se puede utilizar el que quieras, el que te guste más según la frase.

Last question: Is hemos que still used? Or should I rather say tenemos que (the one I learned from Pimsleur).

Yo utilizo casi siempre "tenemos que".

Gracias

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-12, 7:38

Muchas gracias. :)

הענט

Re: TAC 2017 Dr. House - Español, Srpski

Postby הענט » 2017-05-16, 7:24

I'm adding Serbian.

[flag=]sr[/flag] Zovem se Šimon. Imam dvadeset šest godina. Dobrodošli. :)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-05-16, 7:50

Super, Šimone! Otkud ti sad srpski? Baš me zanima.

Ako budeš imao neku nedoumicu, samo pitaj. A slobodno nam se pridruži na B/H/S forumu. :)

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-17, 6:57

Well I want to learn Serbian ( B/C) , because it sounds really good and because I have quite many movies with Croatian/Serbian subs. Decrypting false friends is fun and I want to reach a conversational level so I can chat a bit with my ex-Yugo friend.

Nipple - [flag=]cs[/flag] bradavka [flag=]sr[/flag] both bradavica
Wart - [flag=]cs[/flag] bradavice

Plus learning a South Slavic language in addition to East and West Slavic languages gives me new valuable insights. :)

EDIT: I just heard some Cuban say "Deja la puerta cerrada" to his kid. Cool to know there ARE some Spanish speakers here. :)

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-27, 13:54

[flag=]es[/flag]Me he decidido a aprender el español de España después de todo. Gracias a Resident Evil 4. :)
También trataré de mejorar mi ruso y alemán y posponer mis estudios serbios.

[flag=]ru[/flag] Я смотрел фильм Толстяк на ринге на русском.

הענט

Re: TAC 2017 Dr. House - Español, Deutsch, Russkiy

Postby הענט » 2017-05-28, 13:20

Today I plan to watch Xmen: Days of Future Past in [flag=]en-us[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] and [flag=]uk[/flag]. Hopefully it will not be that stupid Lektor VO.

Who are yoKim jesteś, maleńki?

Edit: No VO, except the Ukrainian part of the Vietnamese conversation between Jennifer Lawrence and Thai-Hoa Le.

Also bought the Sex Tape flick, but I won't get to see it twice, because it sucks so hard. Maybe it'd be more appealing to me if I was fully straight.

הענט

Re: TAC 2017 Dr. House - Español, Deutsch, Russkiy

Postby הענט » 2017-06-09, 14:27

I bought two new DVD's today. The new Hitman movie also subbed in Tamil and Telugu (not that I can read those scripts :) )
And some Chipmunks flick, only because it's dubbed in Serbian and Bulgarian. On the other hand, I'm not sure how I'll deal with those Helium fueled voices...

הענט

Re: TAC 2017 Dr. House - español, русский

Postby הענט » 2017-06-25, 16:33

I watched the movie Unbroken by Angelina Jolie but I guess she should've stuck with acting. I got myself the DVD because it was dubbed in Hindi but I won't be seeing it again...

הענט

Re: TAC 2017 Dr. House - español, русский, srpski, shqip or româneşte

Postby הענט » 2017-08-11, 11:13

I'm thinking of re-adding Serbian and either Albanian or Romanian.

The Balkan area is fascinating to me.

Update: I've been reviewing some German sentences since I'm working in a German company. Sure I'm coating pistons, but that won't stop me from having conversations with our director. Well, once I'll get to know what he looks like. :)

So the Romanians are going back home. Only 3 of them are staying, but there are also Romanian Czechs and they may speak the language as well.

For Albanian I'll have to do some self-study, because the people I know aren't so keen to teach. But that's okay. :)

הענט

Re: TAC 2017 Dr. House - Türkçe

Postby הענט » 2017-08-20, 15:53

(tr) So I decided to go for Turkish instead. There are just so many more resources. Also every movie I buy is dubbed in Turkish too. This is going to be hard. :yep:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-08-20, 22:10

Dr. House wrote:(tr) So I decided to go for Turkish instead.

Yeah, that's my man. Go for it! Vazgeçmek yok! 8-)

Turkish is full of Arabic loans so besides having its own value it's also a fun entry into other Islamicate languages.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-08-21, 8:11

voron wrote:
Dr. House wrote:(tr) So I decided to go for Turkish instead.

Yeah, that's my man. Go for it! Vazgeçmek yok! 8-)

Turkish is full of Arabic loans so besides having its own value it's also a fun entry into other Islamicate languages.

Yeah. It's fun to study a language with words like kalem (Arabic cognate) and kral (Czech true friend) :)

Today I'm going to learn the numbers from 1-10, renkler (just like Hindi rang :) and some basic syntax.

Benim bir kedim var.

EDIT: btw. The final r in var or okuyor is driving me crazy. Is it like the Polish rz, ż? It reminds me of ř, but it's different. Just like the Armenian final r.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-21, 8:29

It's something like "rsh," I guess sort of like a devoiced ř. It's [r̥] in IPA.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-08-21, 12:45

vijayjohn wrote:It's something like "rsh," I guess sort of like a devoiced ř. It's [r̥] in IPA.

Yes. Also I think the final L has a tendency to fade away at times.
As in fil. Practice makes perfect. :) Do you know what's the difference between siyah and kara? Siyah sounds like a Persian loan, but I'm not sure.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-08-21, 14:23

Dr. House wrote:Do you know what's the difference between siyah and kara? Siyah sounds like a Persian loan, but I'm not sure.

Siyah is indeed a loan from Persian, while kara is Turkic.

Kara in the primary meaning 'black' is only used in set phrases: Karadeniz (The Black Sea), kara kedi (black cat), kara gözler (black eyes). It also has the meaning 'bad', 'hard', 'unlucky': kara günler (unlucky days), kara sevda (unhappy love).

For other purposes people use siyah: siyah araba (black car), siyah elbise (black clothes), etc. It would be weird to say "kara araba".

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-08-22, 13:31

Great. Thanks.

Funny thing happened to me. I wanted to pronounce kör (blind) and somehow Swedish got in the way ( kör - drive /šór/). :)

The knowledge of Islamic terms helps a lot - cehennem, cennet, cin, dua, melek, dünya...

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-08-22, 13:47

Btw. I'm using the JW Language app. You can use it offline, there are no ads or fees and you can download a bunch of languages. They even have a built-in customizable grammar where you change nouns, pronouns or tenses. Neat.

Of course I only learn stuff like "to quit smoking can be difficult" and not "Yehova can help you quit smoking". :D

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-08-23, 20:04

I'll have to buy a grammar book to review stuff like vowel harmony.

Daily word : yürek

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”