TAC 2017 - iamblu (Pashto, Arabic, Slovak)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: TAC 2017 - iamblu (Pashto, Arabic, Slovak)

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-08, 23:34

I could swear she once told me that I could get a Kabuli dictionary and change how I would pronounce certain consonants and it would be ok?

In fact, I found the very exchange we had here. So, did you remember something else, or did she change her tune? :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-09, 1:39

Well, she did say the dialects can be very different, but maybe those two particular dialects actually aren't that far apart.

I mean, only Meera can actually tell us, but...:P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-09, 9:48

That's probably what it is then. Kandahari and Kabuli seem, to me at least, to be pretty widespread and well known dialects. And they are pretty close to each other geographically. I'm also sure there has been plenty of interaction between speakers of both over the centuries.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-09, 21:03

I don't see both those links as being contradictory. Meera did mention, in the second link, about not being able to understand dialects from different tribes and areas. I guess if the differences are (almost) solely pronunciation differences and you have a geography where villages and settlements can be quite distant from each, then it stands to reason that dialects will diverge a fair amount in regard to the oral language.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-09, 21:36

I wasn't bothering to go that far with my reply, but basically. Not to mention, you get quite divergent dialects in just about any language (for a range of factors, including geographic isolation like you brought up).

I agree that those two comments don't necessarily contradict each other.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-09, 21:50

Right, so do I.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-06-20, 15:00

Hey guys I'm sorry I am late on this. There are dialects of Pashto that are not mutually intelligible, some dialects are so different even other villages can not understand each other. I believe most books teach Kandahari Pashto and that is considered the standard, but Pimsuleur I believe uses the northern version. Southern Pashto and Northern Pashto are very different from each other, but I think understanding it depends how much you are exposed to it. You can make yourself understood with doing things like changing the "sh" sound to "kh". But some things are still very hard to understand. There are even separate dialects within Northern and Southern Pashto.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-20, 15:20

Not a problem Meera.

So, out of curiosity, how close are Kandahari and Kabuli Pashto specifically?

iamblu

Postby iamblu » 2017-06-23, 23:27

Well, using Kabuli as my yellow brick road, I can't understand Kandahari while I can understand (concerning limitations of a learner) Pashto used in media. I read once that Kandahari keeps some archaic aspects of Pashto that other dialects had lost.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”