2017 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: 2016-2017 blog - księżyc

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-15, 4:31

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:due to the proliferation of audio media due to technology, most major and even some minor languages have essentially a standardised or normative pronunciation that accompanies the written standard.

So where can I learn the normative pronunciation of English?

If there is no normative pronunciation, then what phonemes are taught to L2 speakers when they learn either GA or RP? Even in English linguistics, as far as I understand it, there are specific phonemes that are included in the analysis of RP and GA.

Also, at least in Canada, a national news service like CBC news seems to use a fairly neutral Canadian accent. Though perhaps they have different newscasters for each region? But I can definitely tell it's neutral because when I watch instead Canadian shows on CBC, if it's one that's based out west I will hear the slight Prairie accent. Or if it's based on Newfoundland, I will hear a newfie accent.

linguoboy wrote:Just yesterday, we were discussing the pronunciation of solder on a friend's wall and I discovered that there are varieties in English in which the l is pronounced--despite the fact that it was only reinserted during the Latinising craze of the Enlightenment.

Yeah I came to this realization a while back. I learned it without the l but learned to spell it with the l, and I figured that letter must be silent. (This was back before I got into linguistics or anything). But I quickly learned that some use the l; in fact I think one of my really close friends says /'soʊldə/, and he also uses dinner for lunch and supper for dinner.

vijayjohn wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Ciarán (if you remember him)

I think Ciarán may have stopped being active here before dEhiN joined. :hmm:

No I joined when he was still active. But then I went through 2 different break periods, so I think he must've stopped being active during the last one. I wondered what happened to him.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-15, 4:45

dEhiN wrote:If there is no normative pronunciation, then what phonemes are taught to L2 speakers when they learn either GA or RP?

They don't necessarily learn either of those. When your parents learned English, did they learn GA or RP? I know for a fact that my parents learned neither.

From what I can tell, people in English classes learn whatever pronunciation their instructors use. But even if they did all learn either GA or RP, that already shows that there's no single normative pronunciation, doesn't it?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-15, 5:05

vijayjohn wrote:But even if they did all learn either GA or RP, that already shows that there's no single normative pronunciation, doesn't it?

Yeah I suppose that's true. Plus I'm not entirely sure I was using normative correctly. Perhaps I was thinking more of a standard pronunciation. (Which thinking of it now, is probably not a reality as well. There could be a more neutral pronunciation/dialect, but probably not a standard one.)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-02-15, 5:10

IpseDixit wrote:(i.e: Ladin, Romansh, Sardinian, Basque) it seems that their "conlang standard" never really took hold

I don't think you can say that about Standard Basque (euskara batua). There is lots of music in the language, Basque-language television mainly uses it and it's used a lot in administration and as the medium of education in schools. Most of the anti-batua sentiment I've heard has been from Spanish nationalists who don't have any grasp on Basque, many of whom aren't even Basque (or "Basque or Navarrese", as they'd say) at all. Native speakers still maintain their dialects, but I wouldn't say that's a failure of the standard, in fact for me the opposite would be a failure.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-15, 5:11

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:But even if they did all learn either GA or RP, that already shows that there's no single normative pronunciation, doesn't it?

Yeah I suppose that's true. Plus I'm not entirely sure I was using normative correctly. Perhaps I was thinking more of a standard pronunciation. (Which thinking of it now, is probably not a reality as well. There could be a more neutral pronunciation/dialect, but probably not a standard one.)

RP is a standard that is taught not only to L2 speakers but even to native speakers of English in England, at the expense of all regional accents within the United Kingdom. GA is really a continuum of accents, and whether it's a standard or even a useful term is debatable.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-02-15, 5:16

linguoboy wrote:I believe it was rejected,

It was indeed. There are newsreaders that use the Standard with Western pronunciation.

In the Balearics they de facto have a local version of the Standard (even newsreaders speak with clear insular traits; to me it sounds like a compromise between Central and Insular Catalan). In Valencia, on the other hand, the standard is defined by the Normes de Castelló and the Acadèmia de la Llengua.

but de facto the pronunciation included in paedagogical works aimed at L2 speakers takes as its basis an Eastern Catalan norm essentially identical to educated Barcelonese.

This is true. I wonder if Valencia has produced any textbooks with Western pronunciation. I'd imagine they would do, at least.

I feel like Catalan textbooks also use some words like xicot and oncle that are mostly absent from Barcelonese speech as well, though that may just be out of trying to avoid Spanish influence (the more common nòvio and tiet are both Hispanicisms, albeit relatively old). What's funny is I remember one newspaper localised a Balearic article for their Catalonian edition, replacing the word oncle with tiet, which was widely criticised.

linguoboy wrote:we were discussing the pronunciation of solder on a friend's wall and I discovered that there are varieties in English in which the l is pronounced--despite the fact that it was only reinserted during the Latinising craze of the Enlightenment.

Wow, I was only ever aware of the pronunciation with the l. I can't say I've ever heard an Australian say anything other than /soʊldə/~/səʉldɐ/.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-02-15, 9:34

Saim wrote:Wow, I was only ever aware of the pronunciation with the l. I can't say I've ever heard an Australian say anything other than /soʊldə/~/səʉldɐ/.

If I interpret that messy pronunciation section in Wiktionary correctly, it seems to suggest that the pronunciation without an l is a US thing. Would that make sense to you native speakers?

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I think Ciarán may have stopped being active here before dEhiN joined. :hmm:

No I joined when he was still active. But then I went through 2 different break periods, so I think he must've stopped being active during the last one. I wondered what happened to him.

I remember that in September he announced that he's back, and that was the very last thing I heard from him. Actually, apparently he didn't even log in any more after that.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-02-15, 14:01

kevin wrote:
Saim wrote:Wow, I was only ever aware of the pronunciation with the l. I can't say I've ever heard an Australian say anything other than /soʊldə/~/səʉldɐ/.

If I interpret that messy pronunciation section in Wiktionary correctly, it seems to suggest that the pronunciation without an l is a US thing. Would that make sense to you native speakers?
BrE /ˈsəʊldə(r)/
, /ˈsɒldə(r)/
; NAmE /ˈsɑːdər/

From: http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.c ... 1?q=solder
Please correct my mistakes!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-02-15, 16:33

Saim wrote:I feel like Catalan textbooks also use some words like xicot and oncle that are mostly absent from Barcelonese speech as well, though that may just be out of trying to avoid Spanish influence (the more common nòvio and tiet are both Hispanicisms, albeit relatively old).

Yeah, that's why I said "essentially identical". I get the distinct impression that paedagogical works take a dim view of Castilianisms and try to avoid them wherever possible.

kevin wrote:

I've never heard a non-USAmerican say the word. Until a few days ago, the /ˈsɑdər/ pronunciation was the only one I was aware of.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-02-15, 18:19

OED gives /ˈsɒldə/, /ˈsəʊldə/, and /ˈsəʊdə/ (note the lack of L in the last one) as British pronunciations, and /ˈsɔdər/, /ˈsɑdər/ for US.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-16, 4:50

eskandar wrote:OED gives /ˈsɒldə/, /ˈsəʊldə/, and /ˈsəʊdə/ (note the lack of L in the last one) as British pronunciations, and /ˈsɔdər/, /ˈsɑdər/ for US.

I say something like /'sɑdə/ ~ /'sɑdə˞/, but then I think my word-final /r/ usage is maybe unique to me. I'm not even sure when I use it; I just know that I've had a Trini* woman once comment how she thought I had a Trini accent because I said 'car' without the final /r/. And another time I asked a white woman, who was born and grew up in Toronto, about my final /r/, comparing my pronunciation of some word to hers, and she commented that mine sounds shorter or weaker.

*I know Trinidadian is the proper adjectival denonym, but here in Toronto it's extremely common to shorten it to Trini.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-02-23, 17:39

So, I kinda realized something this week, which I suppose I should have known all along. Hell, I probably did, but my goals were too great for the time I have had, and will have, so here's a revised schedule for both this week and for the year in general. I'm going to combine my old weekly goal oriented approach with ceid donn's 2-3 three month "intensive"1 approach. I'll tackle my five languages as best as I can two at a time (maybe the last grouping will be three).

It would be a little different if I had more time, and/or was at different levels with all of these languages, but I think this is for the best, at least for now. If I manage to find more time, and can add on at some point, I'll do so. And I have a feeling I'll be finished with my Hebrew textbook a bit sooner than May, so I might be able to start German sooner. Plus, as far as German, Irish, and Polish are concerned, I really don't have them prioritized, so I may swap them around and start one of the others before German, idk.

So, here are the groupings:
March2 through May - Biblical Hebrew & Japanese
June Through August - Japanese3 & German
September Through November - Japanese3, Polish & Irish

And what the hell, let's make Year-End Goals too (which I'll keep track of throughout the year as I post updates):

Year-End Goals
    Hebrew
  1. Complete Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  2. Read Biblical Texts4

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-8 of Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin
  2. Complete Lessons 1-24 in Minna No Nihongo [Beginner I] (Main text and Supplements5) by 3A
  3. Complete Lessons X-X in Minna no Nihongo [Beginner II] (Main Text and Supp.) by 3A6
  4. Complete Units 1-25 of Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka
  5. Read from Breaking into Japanese Literature, ed. Murray [optional]4
  6. Watch a shit ton of anime

German
  1. Complete Lessons 1-43 in Living German by Buckley, ed. Coggle
  2. Complete Units 1-29 of Basic German by Schenke, et, al.
  3. Read from New Penguin Parallel Short Stories in German, ed. Zillkens4

Polish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-30 in First Year Polish (Main text & supp.) by Swan
  2. Complete Units 1-40 in Basic Polish by Bielec
  3. Read from Fifteen Modern Polish Short Stories, ed. Schenker4

Irish7
  1. Complete Lessons 1-27 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  2. Read Munster literature (maybe some Ua Laoghaoire)4
  3. Read sections relevant to Munster Irish in Modern Irish by O Siadhail
  4. Read from Teanga Bheo: Corca Dhuibhne by Ó Sé [optional]
  5. Read from Gaeilge Chorca Dhuibhne by Ó Sé [optional]

I've roughly put my yearly goals in preferred order of progression and importance for each language.

Now, time to update my weekly goals:
Goals for Weeks 2/23-2/25
    Japanese
  • Complete Lessons 1-2 of Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin**
  • Read Units 1-4 and do exercises from Unit's 3 &4 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka
  • Complete Lesson 1 of the main text of Minna no Nihongo by 3A

Hebrew
  • Complete Lessons 8-15 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

German
  • On Hold

Polish
  • On Hold

Irish
  • On Hold

Notes:
1 I'm not sure how intensive I will take it. Especially with regard to Japanese. Everything else should be fine. I'd be happy enough with an A1ish level with Polish, Irish and German. It's really Hebrew, and especially Japanese I want to take as far as I can get this year.

2 Well, I'm starting this pretty much now, but it's so close to March we might as well not list February. :whistle:

3 As hinted at above, I want to get as far as I can with Japanese this year. Because....well, I have plans. Anyway, that's why I'm sticking with Japanese pretty much all year. I hope to complete as much of Minna no Nihongo Beginning I & II as possible.

4 I'll have to set some specific goals and texts later. the Japanese reading is optional because I'm going to focus on working through the textbook(s). TBA

5 For any resources that say "& supplement", that means any workbooks that are meant to go along with the main textbook. If, for example I have completed lessons 5 in Minna no Nihongo, assume I have completed that lesson in the main textbook and all supplementary material unless otherwise stated.

For the sake of completeness (and so anyone reading this will get an idea of the amount of material I'm trying to get through), I'll list off the supplementary materials I have here:
Minna no Nihongo [Beginner I]
-workbook
-kanji study book
-kanji workbook
-sentence pattern workbook
-writing workbook
-reader
(most of these workbooks are small; lesson content is mostly 1~2 pages long.)

First Year Polish
There are three "levels" with two sets of a workbook and an instructors manual each. The "levels" are called Beginning, Intermediate & Advanced, but they all go along with the First-Year Polish textbook. That being the case, I'm not sure just how "advanced" the Advanced level is for example. Each workbook and manual usually cover around 5 lessons from Swans textbook. I have the sets up to "Intermediate II". They also come with some awesome audio that follows the textbook, including the exercises!
Anyway....Most lessons in the workbooks take about 40 pages. But some of that is either study planning material or other "skip-able" material, so it's really only about 25-30 pages of actual exercise material to get through.

6 I don't have the second book [Beginner II] in the Minna no Nihongo series yet, so I can't fill in the lesson count yet. Nor do I know how long it will take me to get through Beginner I yet, so I can''t make a guess as to how far I would hope to make it into Beginner II by December. TBA

7 The readings from the grammars that are written in Irish are lower on the list because I want to have a good footing in Irish before trying to read them. That way I can get more out of them. You'll also notice the lack of the Basic Irish grammar/workbook by Stensen (which I do have a copy of, as mentioned earlier in my blog). That's because I want to solely focus on Munster Irish for now. Once I feel I have a solid footing in Munster I'll branch out into the other dialects and the CO.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2017-02-23, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-02-23, 17:41

Wow, that was a long post. :P

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-02-23, 17:47

I know how this is going to end up: You're never going to get back to Irish.

*gol as Gaeilge*
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-02-23, 17:53

My track record with Irish certainly hasn't been good, I'll be the first to admit that. Only time shall tell.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-02-26, 11:16

First Update! (Well, first since my last schedule change anyway. :lol: )

Goals for Weeks 2/23-2/25
    Japanese
  • Complete Lessons 1-2 of Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin Completed half of the first lesson, 25/100%
  • Read Units 1-4 and do exercises from Unit's 3 &4 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka Completed Lessons 1 & 2, 50/100%
  • Complete Lesson 1 of the main text of Minna no Nihongo by 3A Not completed, 0/100%

Hebrew
  • Complete Lessons 8-10 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. Completed Lessons 8-9, 67/100%

Year-End Goals
    Hebrew
  1. Complete Lessons 1-55 Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. 18% Complete
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-8 of Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin 6% Complete
  2. Complete Lessons 1-25 in Minna No Nihongo [Beginner I] (Main text and Supplements) by 3A 0% Complete
  3. Complete Lessons X-25 in Minna no Nihongo [Beginner II] (Main Text and Supp.) by 3A
  4. Complete Units 1-25 of Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka 8% Complete
  5. Read from Breaking into Japanese Literature, ed. Murray [optional]

German
  3. Read from New Penguin Parallel Short Stories in German, ed. Zillkens

Polish
  3. Read from Fifteen Modern Polish Short Stories, ed. Schenker

Irish
  2. Read Munster literature (maybe some Ua Laoghaoire)
  3. Read sections relevant to Munster Irish in Modern Irish by O Siadhail

Notes:
No, I'm not planning on updating my year-end goals every update, but I just wanted to start it off. Or maybe I will. I'm honestly not sure yet. :P

If I can get the route I hope to get down going, I may be able to add a language from my TAC list on now. Thus I'll do three for the first half of the year, and three the second half (approximate halves, since we're two, almost three, months into the year already). I want to try a full week or two on my new two language schedule first though, just to make sure.

I wasn't able to complete Lesson 1 of MnN (Minna no Nihongo), but I was able to work on it over the past 2-3 days, so i'm not too worried about it. I just didn't bother calculating the percentage i did did.

I also updated my goals for Hebrew, as I have mistakenly left them at 8-15, and there was not way I was reaching that point in just a few days.

I'll post my goals for this week (2/26-3/4) in a separate post. This one is long enough.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2017-02-26, 12:47, edited 3 times in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-02-26, 11:19

Goals for Week 2/26-3/4
    Japanese
  • Complete Lessons 1-2 of Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin
  • Complete Units 3 & 4 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka
  • Complete Lessons 1 & 2 of Minna no Nihongo by 3A

Hebrew
  • Complete Lessons 10-15 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-05, 12:37

Update day! :partyhat:

So, let's see where we stand with my goals for last week:

Goals for Week 2/26-3/4
    Japanese
  • Complete Lessons 1-2 of Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin 0/2 0%
  • Complete Units 3 & 4 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka 2/2 100%
  • Complete Lessons 1 & 2 of Minna no Nihongo by 3A 1/2 50%

Hebrew
  • Complete Lessons 10-15 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. 4/5 80%

Notes:
I had forgotten about the review lessons in Kittel before posting that goal. There were two review lessons, and I did 4 all together. I had planned to do five lessons, so we're well within range of my original goal. I don't usually do any of the English to Hebrew exercises by the way. Mostly what i did for the 4th review lesson was just read and translate Exodus 6:12-13. Both verses were a bit tricky, especially trying to keep track of who was doing what in verse 13! So many people to keep track of! :P

I also think it's much more reasonable to do one lesson from MnN a week, so I'm not at all worried about only having done one lesson.

This week I'm not planning to do any work from Hamano & Tsujioka, so I'll try to get all the kana lessons (or even just half!) done in Jorden & Chaplin. I can usually guess the stroke order of the kana pretty well, but I'd still like to drill that a bit to make sure. Plus my ability to read katakana still leaves much to be desired.
If I may say so, some of those exercises in Hamano & Tsujioka were challenging! They either were grammatically hard, or expected me to know vocabulary that I didn't. I mostly wanted to use it as a supplement to the grammar explanations in MnN anyway. I can also easily skip exercises, and do them later if I want, which is what I did with a few of them already.

All-in-all, I'm quite impressed and satisfied with my work last week, and looking forward to continuing on this streak. Hopefully for a while. Which brings me to my next bit of good news!
I'm adding Irish back into the mix. I feel I have enough time to do my (approximate) half year plan (which for any new readers was explained a few posts back).

Last but not least, let's check in with my yearly goals:

Year-End Goals
    Hebrew
  1. Complete Lessons 1-55 and Review lessons 1-6* in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. 12/55, 4/6, 26% Complete
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-8 of Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin 0.5/8, 6% Complete
  2. Complete Lessons 1-25 in Minna No Nihongo [Beginner I] (Main text and Supplements) by 3A 1/24, 4% Complete
  3. Complete Lessons X-25 in Minna no Nihongo [Beginner II] (Main Text and Supp.) by 3A
  4. Complete Units 1-25 of Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka 4/25, 16% Complete
  5. Read from Breaking into Japanese Literature, ed. Murray [optional]

German

Polish

Irish
  3. Read sections relevant to Munster Irish in Modern Irish by Ó Siadhail

*For anyone with a copy of Kittel who is looking for the mysterious 6th review lesson, I'm counting the chapter entitled The Verb, which is between Review 4 and Lesson 13, as a review lesson.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2017-03-05, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-05, 12:40

Goals for Week 3/5-3/11
    Japanese
  • Complete Lessons 1-4 of Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin
  • Complete Lesson 2 of Minna no Nihongo by 3A

Hebrew
  • Complete Lessons R5-15 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Complete Lessons 1-2 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion & Ó Cróinín

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-12, 10:55

Update time!

Goals for Week 3/5-3/11
    Japanese
  • Complete Lessons 1-4 in Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin
  • Complete Lesson 2 in 「みんなの日本語」[Beginner I] by 3A

Hebrew
  • Complete Lessons R5-15 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Complete Lessons 1-2 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion & Ó Cróinín

Notes:
Japanese - I've been really lazy about using Reading Japanese to learn the kana stroke orders. But that doesn't mean I'm not learning them. I've just been looking up stroke order charts online and learning the stroke orders while writing the exercises in MnN. Sure, that slows me down a good bit in completing the exercises, but it works. Other than that, things are progressing well so far! :D

Hebrew- I got through all the lessons I wanted to with the exception of doing the exercises out of lesson 15 (I skipped some of the more challenging ones in lessons 13 &14 too :P ) and doing the reading assignments in the BHS (specifically Gen 22:1-8). I'll start off this week with finishing up these loose ends and move on from there.

Irish - I've read over lessons 1 & 2. I'm pretty confident with my vocabulary from lesson 1, though I'm still learning the plural forms of the nouns. I still have to memorize the verb forms from lesson 2, so I'll keep working at that this week in addition to doing lesson 3 & 4.

Overall - I did slack off for about 2 days where I didn't do any language learning, which explains the lapses in Hebrew and Irish. :whistle: I'm still very happy with my progress so far though!
I feel like Japanese is my strongest language at the moment. I often have to look up words in Hebrew, even after learning/reviewing in Anki. I might need to re-evaluate if I want to continue with using Anki or use some other method. :hmm: i'll give it another week and see what I feel.

Anyway, let's check in with my yearly goals:

Year-End Goals
    Hebrew
  1. Complete Lessons 1-55 and Review lessons 1-6 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. 15/55, 5/6, 33% Complete
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-25 in 「みんなの日本語」 Minna No Nihongo [Beginner I] (Main text and Supp.) by 3A 2/24, 8% Complete
  2. Complete Lessons X-25 in 「みんなの日本語」 Minna no Nihongo [Beginner II] (Main Text and Supp.) by 3A
  3. Complete Units 1-25 in Basic Japanese by Hamano & Tsujioka 4/25, 16% Complete
  4. Read/Listen to/Watch news stories from NHK News Web Easy
  5. Complete Lessons 1-8 in Reading Japanese by Jorden & Chaplin [optional] 0.5/8, 6% Complete
  6. Read from Breaking into Japanese Literature, ed. Murray [optional]

German
  2. Complete Units 1-29 in Basic German by Schenke, et, al.

Polish

Irish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-27 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín 2/27, 7% Complete
  3. Read sections relevant to Munster Irish in Modern Irish by Ó Siadhail
Last edited by księżycowy on 2017-03-12, 11:10, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”