2017 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: 2016-2017 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-07, 23:09

Update time!
księżycowy wrote: I'm hoping to have some things checked off, and to be able to do a Year Goal check next update!

I did very well with Japanese and Irish with week. I haven't given much love or attention to Hebrew though. I'll have to fix that this week. I'm not to worried about any of the reviews I had planned for this past week. I did review lessons 1-3 of TYI a bit, which I felt was a reasonable amount. Japanese I'll review a bit this week. Anyway, let's check in with last weeks goals:

Goals For 4/30 Through 5/6
    Japanese
  • Finish Lesson 6 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Review Lessons 1-5 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [Mostly the Reibun, Renshuu A, and grammar notes.]
  • Start (Complete?) Lesson 7 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [optional]

Hebrew
  • Get Caught up on reading assignments in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  • Complete Lesson 30 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Finish Lessons 7-8 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Review Lessons 1-3 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Complete Lessons 9-10 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín [optional]

Finally, let's check in with my goals for the year. As we are about 1/2 way through the year I figure now is a good time to review and revise my goals for the year, so I'll stick that in while I'm at it.

Year Goals
    Hebrew
  1. Complete Lessons 1-55 and Review Lessons 1-8 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. 29/55, 7/8, 58% Complete
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-25 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 Minna No Nihongo Beginner I (Main text and Supp.) by 3A 6/25, 24% Complete
  2. Complete Lessons 1-?? in 「みんなの日本語初級2」 Minna no Nihongo Beginner II (Main Text and Supp.) by 3A
  3. Read/Listen to/Watch news stories from NHK News Web Easy
  4. Read from Breaking into Japanese Literature, ed. Murray [optional]

Irish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-27 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín 8/27, 30% Complete
  2. Read Munster literature (maybe some Ua Laoghaoire)

German
  1. Complete Lessons 1-?? in Living German by Buckley, ed. Coggle
  2. Read from New Penguin Parallel Short Stories in German, ed. Zillkens

Polish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-?? in First Year Polish (Main text & supp.) by Swan
  2. Read from Fifteen Modern Polish Short Stories, ed. Schenker

Notes:
My goal of getting to German and Polish this year still remains with me. Realistically, however, it seems very unlikely that I would get through the amount of material that I had wanted to with them. I probably could start them towards the fall or winter, but I definitely wouldn't finish the texts. The rate at which I'm going through Irish and Hebrew is slower than I had anticipated. Things may also change for the better over the summer, as I'll have a lot of free time for about two months.

I've also removed the Routledge grammar workbooks (and assorted Irish grammars) from my goals. I don't want to push myself to go through too many resources at once. The original reason I even added them was because I wanted to make sure that MnN has adequate explanations, and it does. By no means does this mean I'm not going to use any of my grammars, I just figure it's not worth marking down as a goal at this point. I'll use them after I get through the beginning level textbook(s) for any language. And of course reference them if something doesn't click or I need extra support with any of my textbooks in the meantime.

Last but not least, I still would love to get through both beginner level MnN books, but as the weeks go one, that is seeming less and less likely. Much like Polish and German, I'll probably be able to get to the second volume by the fall or winter, but I highly doubt I'd finish it.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-07, 23:13

Goals For 5/7 Through 5/13
    Japanese
  • Complete Lesson 7 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Review Lessons 1-2 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [Mostly the Reibun, Renshuu A, and grammar notes.

Hebrew
  • Get Caught up on reading assignments in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.
  • Complete Lesson 30 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Finish Lessons 9-10 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Review Lessons 4-6 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín

dEhiN

Re: 2017 blog - księżyc

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-08, 6:02

Where do you get the checkmark icon from? I've always wondered that!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-08, 8:20

It's a secret. :wicked:

But seriously, I just copied and pasted it from Wikipedia.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-14, 22:31

Update time!

So I've gotten about 1/2 way through the lessons that I've wanted to do in MnN and TYI. I'm still going slowly through the readings for BH, but I may just start going through the lessons again. In my mind it doesn't matter much if I'm not on target with the readings (or lessons for that matter), so long as I'm doing something with Hebrew.

I think my new schedule is disrupting my usual pacing with my languages. I'm using one of my days off (Saturday atm) to go see a friend who is about 1.5hrs away, so I usually stay there for a few hours. Therefore that usually turns out to be one of my "off" days for language study. Plus there are other things starting to vie for my time. I'm going to see if I can increase the time I spend with my languages a bit this week. I'm shooting for about 3-4 days at 30-45min a session this week. (Ideally 4-5, but I'll low ball it.) I'd like to still shoot for completing the amount of work I was doing in one week still, but I need to see if that is feasible with these changes.

Goals For 5/14 Through 5/20
    Japanese
  • Finish Lesson 7 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Complete Lesson B in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Start Lesson 8 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [optional]

Hebrew
  • Work on Translating Gen 28:10-29:11
  • Complete Lesson 30-35 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al.

Irish
  • Finish Lessons 9-10 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Start Lessons 11-12 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín [optional]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-21, 12:41

Update!

So, rather than go through my list and and things off, I'm just going to say what I did. That's because some of what I was going to do for this week significantly changed (specifically for Irish). That and I didn't want to see a lot of red for Hebrew. :P

Japanese - For the most part, I completed lesson 7 and am now ready to move on to Lessons B & 8. I do need to work on my listening comprehension though, as I had a hard time with the exercises in the main textbook that had audio. I also need to get caught up on some of the exercises (both in the main text and workbooks) for Lessons 4-6. I'm thinking my goals for this week are starting to write themselves. :wink:

Irish - So, instead of finishing Lessons 9 & 10, I went back and reviewed lessons 4-6. I also, and perhaps more importantly, did the English to Irish exercises. Those were quite helpful. I'm thinking I'll continue that trend this week.

Hebrew - I worked on a few verses for Gen 28:10-29:11, but I'm still not done with it. I do want to get caught up with the readings, so I'm thinking that I will finish those before getting back into the lessons proper.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-21, 12:47

Goals For 5/21 Through 5/27
    Japanese
  • Review Lessons 4-6 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [mostly completing unfinished exercises]
  • Complete Lesson B in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A

Hebrew
  • Finish Translating Gen 28:10-29:11
  • Start Translating Exodus 3:1-17

Irish
  • Review Lessons 7-10 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-21, 12:49

And, before I forget:

Year Goals
    Hebrew
  1. Complete Lessons 1-55 and Review Lessons 1-8 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel, et al. 29/55, 7/8, 58% Complete
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-25 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 Minna No Nihongo Beginner I (Main text and Supp.) by 3A 7/25, 28% Complete
  2. Complete Lessons 1-?? in 「みんなの日本語初級2」 Minna no Nihongo Beginner II (Main Text and Supp.) by 3A

Irish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-27 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín 10/27, 37% Complete
  2. Read Munster literature (maybe some Ua Laoghaoire/O'Leary)

German

Polish

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-28, 17:36

Update time!
I didn't quite make my goals, but I did get some work done this week! Progress is progress! :yep:

I'll just summarize what I got done here and then move on to next week's goals:
-Japanese: I was able to review Lesson 4. The Listening Comprehension exercise was particularly challenging, so it's clearly a skill I need to work on moving forward.
-Irish: I reviewed Lessons 6 & 7. I'll move on to Lessons 8-10 after doing the rest of the English to Irish exercises in Lesson 7. I also started compiling some language notes (by grammar subject, such as "noun declension", "verb conjugation" etc.), so that's why I only did about 1-2 lessons. I need to do the same with Japanese come to think of it.
-Hebrew: I translated a few verses, I've completed verses 28:10-21, so I'm approximately half way done with Gen. 28:10-29:11.

Goals For 5/28 Through 6/3
    Japanese
  • Review Lessons 5 &6 6 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [mostly completing unfinished exercises]
  • Get notes caught up.
  • Complete Lesson B in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [optional]

Hebrew

Irish
  • Review Lessons 8-10 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-04, 13:27

Update Time!

Japanese - I reviewed a good bit of Lessons 5 &6, and even if not all the exercises are done, I feel I'm good to get back to progressing forward.

Irish - Lesson 8 is quite tricky and a lot of information is thrown at you, so I don't feel bad for mainly having worked on that lesson this week.

Hebrew - Nothing much to report for this past week. I need to get back into this one more consistently.

Overall, I'm happy with my progress with Japanese and Irish this past week. I just have to pick the Hebrew back up.

Goals For 6/4 Through 6/10
    Japanese
  • Complete Lessons B & 8 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A

Hebrew

Irish
  • Finish Lesson 8 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Complete Lessons 9 & 10 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-10, 16:01

Time for an update.

I did do some reading out of my Irish and Japanese textbooks this week, but progress overall was impeded by a situation that arose at work this week that basically shocked everyone (including me). I'll just leave it at that. I'm good now though, and will pick up progress from here.

I just got a copy of the Supplement for Enhanced Comprehension for Hebrew (which is a grammar and exercise supplement for my Biblical Hebrew textbook), so I think I'll go back a bit and review the first half of the textbook a bit while I get caught up on the translation/reading assignments.

Goals For 6/11 Through 6/17
    Japanese
  • Complete Lessons B & 8 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A

Hebrew
  • Review Lessons 1-5 in the Supplement for Enhanced Comprehension

Irish
  • Finish Lesson 8 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Complete Lessons 9 & 10 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-07-20, 20:50

Wow, it's been a little while since I've posted!
Time to get back at it!

I admit that especially for the last few weeks I had been visiting my cousin, so I wasn't doing much language wise. I was trying to work on a little bit here and there, but not as much as I would normally do.

Here's what I did get done since my last post:

Year Goals
    Hebrew
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-25 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 Minna no Nihongo Beginner I (Main text and Supp.) by 3A 7.5/25, 30% Complete

Irish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-27 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín 9/27, 33% Complete
  2. Read Munster literature (maybe some Ua Laoghaoire/O'Leary)

German

Polish

Notes:
-I'm counting a ".5" in Japanese as one of the review "Letter" lessons (i.e., A, B, etc.)
-I did try my hand at translating a news story from NHK, but that didn't work the best. I'll try to do something this week to that end.
-I noticed a discrepancy in the lesson count for Irish, which I've corrected.
-I'm a little over half way through translating the poem Geasa by Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill. I hope to complete and post it to my Irish thread either this week, or next week.

And lastly, this week's goals:

Goals For 7/23 Through 7/30
    Japanese
  • Complete Lessons 8 & 9 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Translate and post a News story from NHK

Hebrew
  • Complete Lessons 30-35 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel et al.
  • Review Lessons 4-8 in the Supplement for Enhanced Comprehension

Irish
  • Complete Lessons 10 & 11 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Translate and post Geasa by Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill

EDIT: Forgot to change the dates on my goals. :P
I also fixed up a few of my goals. From now until September I plan on trying to spend at least an hour on one of my languages every day (preferably two, Japanese and Hebrew, but let's start with one and take it from there). We'll see if/how it works out. I would also like to prioritize Japanese and Hebrew.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2017-07-23, 1:40, edited 4 times in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-07-20, 20:59

On a resource aspect, I have become a bit interested in the new Living Language materials. I always liked them when I had them a few years for a few languages. I bought the Japanese and Hebrew courses for now.

I really love Minna no Nihongo, but it's so bloody expensive to get all the materials for. I probably will be knee deep in the next school year and have plenty of cash flow be the time I'd need to be the next set of materials for MnN, but on the off chance something happens, I've now got Living Language. Worse case scenario, I use Living Language as a supplement. The audio is pretty good, and a lot cheaper then Pimsleur (as much as I do like Pimsleur).
Hebrew is an added bonus. :P

In short, we'll see if Living Language is still as good as I remember it. (Or better! Here's hoping!)

I refuse to buy the Irish course, and not just on the grounds it's in the CO. I've heard the audio features a lot of non-native gaeilgeoirí.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-07-26, 21:45

I've finished my translation of Geasa by Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill, and have posted it here.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-07-31, 12:46

Update time!
I'm a day behind because yesterday was my mom's birthday, so we had a bit of a family get together.

Let's check in with last week's goals.

Goals For 7/23 Through 7/30
    Japanese
  • Complete Lessons 8 & 9 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A 50%
  • Translate and post a News story from NHK

Hebrew
  • Finish Translating Gen 28:10-29:11 95%
  • Complete Lessons 30-35 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel et al.
  • Review Lessons 4-8 in the Supplement for Enhanced Comprehension

Irish
  • Complete Lessons 10 & 11 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín 50%
  • Translate and post Geasa by Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill

Notes:
Japanese - For the most part I'm done with lesson 8. I have a few exercises in the exercise books, and one or two left from the main text, but i feel ready to move on regardless. I'll paw at the rest of the exercises for Lesson 8 as well.

Hebrew - Where as I didn't move on to the lessons proper yet, I'm pleased to be only a few verses away from completing my translation of Gen 28:10-29:11.

Year Goals
    Hebrew
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-25 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 Minna no Nihongo Beginner I (Main text and Supp.) by 3A 8/25, 32% Complete
  3. Read/Listen to/Watch news stories from NHK News Web Easy [optional]

Irish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-27 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín 10/27, 37% Complete
  2. Read poems by Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill

German

Polish

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-07-31, 13:02

This week's goals:

Goals For 7/31 Through 8/05
    Japanese
  • Complete Lessons 9 & 10 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A
  • Review Lessons 5-7 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A

Hebrew
  • Finish Translating Gen 28:10-29:11, Start Ex 3:1-17
  • Complete Lessons 30-35 in Biblical Hebrew by Kittel et al. [optional]
  • Review Lessons 4-8 in the Supplement for Enhanced Comprehension [optional]

Irish
  • Complete Lesson 11 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Review Lessons 1-10 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion & Ó Cróinín

Notes: I'm kinda sick of being bogged down with the backlog of readings for Biblical Hebrew, so I will do what i can to get through as much of them as I can.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-19, 13:26

Well, it's been a little longer then a week (only by a day or two :P ), but various things are vying for my attention at the moment, so I've had to slow progress.

Japanese-
I've gotten through lesson 9, finally. Only to realize I haven't been keeping up with the kanji lessons very well. I'll take a break this week and mainly work on the backlog of kanji lessons (Up to: Unit 5/25). If there is time I'll do some of Lesson 10 in the main text too, but I won't sweat it if i can't.

Hebrew-
I finished translated Gen. 28:11-29:10, but I'm a bit too sick of it to post it. I've started work on translating Ex 3:1-17 (I've completed verses 1-5). I'll work on some more this week; I'll try to finish it.

Irish-
I'm still picking at Lesson 11, and translating An Chearc. I'm taking a slower pace then I had due to things picking up.

Not much to update as far as my Year goals, but better then not having anything. :wink:

Year Goals
    Hebrew
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-25 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 Minna no Nihongo Beginner I (Main text and Supp.) by 3A 9/25, 36% Complete
  3. Read/Listen to/Watch news stories from NHK News Web Easy [optional]

Irish
  2. Read and Translate Stories 1-3 in An Chearc Uisce agus scéalta eile by Dónal Ó Liatháin
  3. Read and Translate Stories 1-3 in An Comórtas Iascaireachta agus scéalta eile by Máire Uí Iarnáin
  4. Read and Translate Stories 1-3 in An Dochtúir agus scéalta eile by Pádraig Mac Suibhne
  5. Read and Translate Stories 1-?? in An Tigh Glas agus scéalta eile by Pádraig Mac Suibhne

German

Polish

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-19, 13:34

Goals For 8/20 Through 8/26
    Japanese
  • Complete Kanji Units 1-5 in 「Kanji I」 and the associated material in the Kanji workbook.
  • Complete Lessons 10 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [optional]

Hebrew
  • Finish Translating Ex 3:1-17

Irish
  • Finish Translating Story 1 in An Chearc Uisce... by Dónal Ó Liatháin

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-27, 18:39

Update time! :partyhat:

Goals For 8/20 Through 8/26
    Japanese
  • Complete Kanji Units 1-5 in 「Kanji I」 and the associated material in the Kanji workbook. 2/5 Compete 40%
  • Complete Lesson 10 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [optional]

Hebrew
  • Finish Translating Ex 3:1-17

Irish
  • Finish Translating Story 1 in An Chearc Uisce... by Dónal Ó Liatháin

Notes: All things considered, not a bad week. I just need to re-inject some Hebrew. :P
I didn't finish the kanji lessons, but I'll finish those off this week (or get all but one done), so I'm not worried about it. They were a little more work then I was figuring. Plus I didn't start them until halfway into the week. :P

I'll post my translation of An Chearc (a.k.a. story 1) by Ó Liatháin in a bit over in the Celtic sub-forum.

Year Goals
    Hebrew
  2. Read Biblical Texts

Japanese
  1. Complete Lessons 1-25 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 Minna no Nihongo Beginner I (Main text and Supp.) by 3A 9/25, 36% Complete
  3. Read from 「齋藤孝のイッキによめる! 名作選小学1年生」[optional]
  4. Read from よつばと! [optional]

Irish
  1. Complete Lessons 1-27 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín 11/27, 41% Complete
  2. Read and Translate Stories 1-3 in An Chearc Uisce agus scéalta eile by Dónal Ó Liatháin 1/3, 33% Complete
  3. Read and Translate Stories 1-3 in An Comórtas Iascaireachta agus scéalta eile by Máire Uí Iarnáin
  4. Read and Translate Stories 1-3 in An Dochtúir agus scéalta eile by Pádraig Mac Suibhne
  5. Read and Translate Stories 1-?? in An Tigh Glas agus scéalta eile by Pádraig Mac Suibhne

German
    Under Construction

Polish
    Under Construction

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-27, 18:42

Goals For 8/27 Through 9/02
    Japanese
  • Complete Kanji Units 3-5 in 「Kanji I」 and the associated material in the Kanji workbook.
  • Review from Lessons 1-9 in 「みんなの日本語初級1」 by 3-A [optional]

Hebrew
  • Continue (Finish?) Translating Ex 3:1-17

Irish
  • Complete Lesson 12 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín
  • Read and Translate "An Chearc Uisce" in An Chearc Uisce... by Dónal Ó Liatháin

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”