TAC 2017 Limagne

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Limagne
TAC 2017 Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2017-01-28, 12:45

Taking advantage of the fact I now have more free time than the last couple of years, I thought it could be a good idea to start a new thread here. My work at the oyster farm will start by late April, which gives me the opportunity to devote myself to language learning and the preparing of the growing season in my new small garden.

Unsurprisingly, the main focus of my studies will be Persian. My plan is simple and includes watching more Iranian movies and TV series, which is something I had neglected previously. Conversation skills will be taken care of by talking to my Persian-speaking acquaintances on a daily basis. I do not really have a specific goal in mind other than enjoying the process of learning more about the culture(s) of Iran and refining my knowledge of the language. 

Noteworthy is also my renewed interest for Tajiki. I have been working on and off for a translation agency since November and the tasks that were assigned to me consisted in translating official legal and business related documents issued in Tajikistan into French. This job has literally opened my eyes to the social and political realities of the country and it has allowed me to cast a glance on the linguistic intricacies of the region as well.

Now, incidentally, it turned out one of the documents that were submitted to me was actually written in Uzbek - it was in the Cyrillic script. I have to say that this definitely piqued my interest and as such, I felt I had to get more familiar with how Uzbek and Tajiki influenced each other. One thing leading to another, I eventually put my hands on a digital copy of Andras Bodrogligeti’s Modern Literary Uzbek: A Manual for Intensive Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced Courses. 

It is a very thorough, and dare I say old-fashioned text. As suggested by the title of the book, it is an introduction to the written language and as such, it is rather light on conversational skills. However, it does a very good job of teaching the grammar and the vocabulary of standard literary Uzbek. Each unit is made up of a long vocabulary list, a detailed grammar section, a reading practice text, two translation exercises and a composition.

There’s also a small practical conversation section at the end of each unit. No dialogues but several expressions and idioms one can be expected to need for daily conversations. Those are actually quite good and interesting, too. I have only completed the first four units of volume I so far but can already say stuff like « What the hell is this? » (Bu nima balo?) or « Things don't look good! » (Ish pachava).

I love how a copious amount of proverbs and idioms are introduced in each lesson, too. So far my favourite one is a nursery rhyme that is typically recited while serving tea: « Birinchi loy / Ikkinchi moy / Uchinchi Choy » (which translates as: « The first is mud / The second is oil / The third is tea »).

Modern Literary Uzbek is choke-full of information so it should keep me busy for a while. I’ll start studying Unit 5 later today and I’ll update this thread tomorrow.

Xo’p, hozirgacha xayr! (« Alright, goodbye for now! »).
Last edited by Limagne on 2017-01-31, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

Michael

Re: TAC 2017 Limagne

Postby Michael » 2017-01-29, 10:00

Bir də xoş gəlmisən, Limagne! Bu forumluq aralarda fəaliyyətin əldən buraxmışdı, beləcə təptəzə bir yeniliyni oxuyanda xoşhallandım. Həmişə sənin hər yazını oxumadan xoşlanıram. Tacik-pars dili məni də bərk maraqlandırar. Fikrimcə pars ləhcələrin hamısından ən xoşavaz. Bundan başqa, son ildəki Azərbaycan dilin necə dolanır? Artıq yaxşılatıbsanmı?

Elə belə, yazdığın Azərbaycan dili qrammatika xülasəsi anlaşıma sarı xeyirlicə işləmişdir. O səhifədən ötrü öz minnətdarlığımı bildirirəm!
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2017-01-30, 11:48

Sağ ol, kömək etməyimə çox şadam! Sən də belə yüksək dərəcədə Azərbaycanca danışırsan. Çalışqanlığına əhsən! :)

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2017-01-30, 16:29

I have just finished watching Makhmalbaf's Gabbeh - گبه and highly recommend it to everyone. I found the photography was stunning.

Language enthusiasts will be delighted to see that the movie's script contains a few lines in a dialect of Turkish which I was not able to identify. Maybe Qashqai?

Gabbeh is also the name of a specific variety of hand-woven carpets typically made by the nomads who live in the Zagros mountains. They often have a somewhat archaic appearance which I find fascinating.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-01-31, 18:42

این موضوع رو با علاقه دنبال میکنم. موفق باشی. از فیلم های مخملباف خیلی خوشم میاد ولی هنوز گبه ندیدم. باید وقت کنم ببینمش. راستی میشه کتاب آموزشی ازبک رو برام بفرستی؟ ممنون میشم.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2017-02-01, 15:50

ممنونم!
با کمال میل٬ الان لینک دانلودشو میفرسم.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2017-02-04, 10:56

I have completed Unit 7 of Modern Literary Uzbek. A lot of vocabulary items to review on Anki. I'm not even halfway through the book yet but have already added 757 words and phrases to my deck!

Here's my text for the directed composition of Unit 7:

Leytenant Bahromov trubkani joyida qo’ydi. Biroz ikkilandi: « Yolg’iz borayin yoki tergovchi Azizovni ham olib kelayin? ». Yolg’iz borishga qaror qildi. Miq etmay byurosidan k’ochaga chiqdi. Havo juda sovuq edi. Uning yap-yangi mashinaga chiqdi. Yurgizib yuborib gaz berdi. Muqimi ko’chasi bo’ylab zing’illab yeldi. To'satdan yomg’ir yog’a boshladi. 423 nomerli uyga yaqinlashgan paytda Leytenant sekinlatdi. Chetga chiqdi va to’xtadi. Mashinasidan tushdi. Yo’lka bo’ylab uying kiruv yo’li tomon yurdi. To’xtadi. Eshikni taqillatdi. « Kim bo’ladi? » so’radi Karim titroq ovozda. Leytenant Bahromov darhol kimligini aytdi. « Eshikni tez oching » dedi Leytenant.

I watched Chaharshanbe Suri / چهارشنبه سوری yesterday, too.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2017-02-15, 8:46

I have been doing more translation from Tajiki into French lately. Several handwritten documents have been sent to me and I have to say that deciphering the cursive Cyrillic script was not very easy at first :lol: I'm starting to get better at it, though. I really like this job, I'm really learning a lot about Tajiki and Tajikistan.

One of my clients asked me if I could translate from Dari into French as well. I suppose the demand for Dari translations is at a peak due to the migrant waves. The workload will probably be much heavier than for Tajiki but I can't wait to start! At least with Dari, I won't have to struggle with weird Soviet-style bureaucratic acronyms :lol:

Which reminds me that it took me nearly one hour to find the meaning of an obscure Tajiki word I came upon in one of the handwritten document I was working on. The author of the document wrote that she had bought '10 сотиқ замин' in order to build a house. I couldn't find the word сотиқ anywhere until I miraculously stumbled upon this blog post. Apparently, сотиқ is a colloquial word which means 100m2. I was chuffed to bits :)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-15, 10:48

It's сотка in Russian, from the numeral сто (one hundred). 10×100 m^2 - 10 соток.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-02-15, 22:49

Limagne, it's interesting to hear about your job, which sounds very rewarding. Solving those kinds of linguistic puzzles is one of my favorite activities.

How have you found studying Uzbek? I have to imagine it's a breeze for you as you already know Azeri and Tajik. I will probably visit Tashkent in the next couple of years for research and might commit to studying some Uzbek at some point before then.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2017-08-02, 15:39

Looks like I left this log without an update for ages! My work at the farm is over for now (until mid-September, that is) so I'm back :lol:

My job has been keeping me busy for the past few months so I haven't done any language related study apart from daily conversations in Persian. I even had to stop the translating stunt.

I'll keep on working on Persian and Tajiki as usual. My Uzbek is back to non-existent and I think I will have to start again from scratch. I will also read a few articles in Kurdish occasionally.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”