Saim's log 2017-2019

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Kenny
Re: Saim's blog 2017

Postby Kenny » 2017-02-08, 14:03

dEhiN wrote:
Kenny wrote:it got to the point where I now have 65k+ total cards

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Everyone will rightly say that that is a useless amount of cards and they would be right. But it grounds me in a way and I've grown used to my ANKI routine (it takes me about the 1 hour I commute each day - 30 minutes each way - and a bit extra in the morning and ...uhm... at work to be done with it, it's about 500-800ish cards a day) so I find it soothing even if it not exceedingly useful.
Another thing is that it's proof that I have discipline. I have missed maybe 20 days over the past 3.5 years.

dEhiN wrote:I can't tell if that's Hungarian or not, but I'm going to assume it is and say: now you make me want to learn Hungarian. Perhaps if a certain person could be persuaded into helping a fellow language nerd learn Hungarian...?

It is and I'd be happy to help, but I'm not a particularly good teacher. I can answer any questions you have though. PM me if you want to add me on FB (if you use FB).

@Ipse: most of my cards have context, unless none is required (the names of physical objects, animals, physics stuff etc.). I either use example sentences below the word or Cloze sentences (full sentence with a word or expression missing - flip side has the answer and possibly an explanation).
The reading method is very good, but, at least in my case, it doesn't really help memorize more advanced vocabulary that doesn't show up as often. It's also a good way to cement the basics. I think I'd have maybe one third of my current vocabulary without Anki and I don't perceive it as a burden. To each their own, I guess.

@Mike & everyone else: I might have used the wrong word there. Exotic, maybe? Quirky? Less usual? At any rate, that wasn't meant as something derogatory, Persian still looks and sounds awesome and so do my other languages, that's why I'm studying them in the first place. I just feel like I'm not a very good Unilanger since I don't even have a cursory knowledge of any of the myriad of languages you guys are learning.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-02-08, 14:08

Kenny wrote:@Mike & everyone else: I might have used the wrong word there. Exotic, maybe? Quirky? Less usual? At any rate, that wasn't meant as something derogatory, Persian still looks and sounds awesome and so do my other languages, that's why I'm studying them in the first place. I just feel like I'm not a very good Unilanger since I don't even have a cursory knowledge of any of the myriad of languages you guys are learning.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. As an almost completely analytic IE language, Persian isn't truly "that" exotic, morphologically speaking (which is a good thing), but yes, it's definitely very underappreciated (or as you say, less usual). And who cares what languages everyone else is learning? The only languages that should matter to you are the ones that hold personal relevance to you.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-02-08, 16:14

IpseDixit wrote:Personally, I think a much better method to memorize words is read stuff in your target language on a regular basis, ideally on a daily basis, without worrying too much about noting down each and every new found word, since if you read regularly, it's very likely that you'll come across the same words over and over again and finally will remember them.

Agreed, but I think listening to native content is also very important for reviewing. If you listen to varied content in your target language for at least 10 minutes a day, you will get a natural review of all but the rarest vocabulary.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-02-20, 1:10

Kenny wrote:And now that I'm done hijacking Saim's blog, hajrá Saim! Mire legközelebb találkozunk (ha lesz ilyen), csak magyarul szólhatsz hozzám. :lol:

Azt remélem! Nagyon sokat megtanultam (vagy tanultam meg? még nem küzdtem le a magyar szórendet :) ) a Pécsi nyári kurzuson, de sajnos ritkán beszélgetek magyarokkal. Ezen a nyáron valoszínűleg leszek Szerbiában, úgyhogy van lehetőség, hogy északra is elindulok (na természetesen ez is attól függ, hol te leszel). :mrgreen:

IpseDixit wrote:Who's the other guy? The ambassador or the interpreter?

None of them is incomprehensible to me, I would say all of them have more or less the same level, that's to say stilted but quite clear. If I had to say who has the best pronunciation, I'd say the ambassador, 'cause he's more fluid in his speech. (Although he has a much shorter sentence than Ibrahim has, so that might have played in his favor).

Yeah I think it must have been down to my computer's speakers + me not trying hard enough. I remember there was a while where my only headphones were broken and I could barely understand any of the input I was finding on the internet (plus the obvious disorientation from trying to analyse Urdu and Italian at once). Now that I've listened to it again it seems obvious.

This reminds me of all the times that despite the fact that I can read and write fairly well in Portuguese, and can kind of converse in European Portuguese (on the best of days, I am quite rusty), when I hear Brazilians speaking amongst themselves sometimes I don't even manage to recognise it as Portuguese. :ohwell:

Here's the transcription:

Interpreter: Il Sultano ringrazia i vostri più sentiti auguri. (A better phrasing would've been "vi ringrazia per i vostri più sentiti auguri").

Ambassador: Durante questo periodo di pace...

Ibrahim: Certo che il Sultano Sulimano accetti i suoi migliori auguri, ma parla anche di un dettaglio molto importante: vuole che Venezia mantenga le sue promesse senza aizzare nessuno e rispetti la nostra giustizia.

Ambassador: Ho capito. Ma come mai Lei parla così bene la nostra lingua?

Ibrahim: È la mia madrelingua (LMAO), mia madre era veneziana.

Grazie. :)

Ibrahim: È la mia madrelingua (LMAO)

:lol:

IpseDixit wrote:I don't think learning words devoid of context is very helpful.

Yeah, I only ever use flaschards to revise words I found in some sort of natural or semi-natural context. It kind of anchors you to the word so that next time you hear it in a natural context it's more likely to stick, but it definitely doesn't teach you it.

It also seems to me that Anki can kind of encourage some obsessive behaviors in certain people.

Totally. Ditto for Duolingo and Memrise.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-20, 14:04

Michael wrote:My comment was tongue-in-cheek. As an almost completely analytic IE language, Persian isn't truly "that" exotic, morphologically speaking (which is a good thing), but yes, it's definitely very underappreciated (or as you say, less usual). And who cares what languages everyone else is learning? The only languages that should matter to you are the ones that hold personal relevance to you.

Seconded. Persian is an awesome language with an awesome culture. Go for it, Kenny!
And yes, your perseverance with Anki is amazing.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2017-02-21, 18:36

Again, like everyone else has been saying, I'd advise against it. What it's really good for is memorizing very specific things. For generic stuff, stick with movies, books etc. I'm just sick. :lol:
It is something of an obsession - I'm worried about forgetting cool expressions whenever I come across them, so I have to make a card each time....

And yeah, I will, I'm just trying to find the time for it, I'm still at the stage where it's hard to muster any energy to do useful things after I get home from work. :|

Levike

Postby Levike » 2017-02-22, 19:42

Saim wrote:Azt remélem! Nagyon sokat megtanultam (vagy tanultam meg? még nem küzdtem le a magyar szórendet :) )

De végül milyen logika alapján működik a szórend? Mert én sem tudom.

Általában azt olvasom, hogy "szabad sorrend", de mindig vannak furcsa "magyartalan" kombinációk. :silly:

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-02-23, 13:47

I'm going to try a new method, where I repeatedly listen to audio extracted from a video I've already watched and understood and taken notes on. I feel like if I just go through a series or something not much sticks, and this way I can plop the audio into my phone and listen to it while tidying up, cooking, walking around the city or working out, which altogether takes up quite a few hours in my day. It seems to be working, as sometimes sentences from the audio while just pop up in my head at random points when I'm not listening to anything.

Turkish
So far I'm going to be listening to Glossika lessons. I'll study the A files at home and then listen to the C files on repeat when I'm out and about just to get used to them. So far I've given the first three C files a listen each.

Arabic
Some of the audio I've mentioned in my Arabic log.

Hebrew
I watched the first season of the Legend of Korra dubbed in Hebrew, and I really loved the series and made sure to note down a lot of vocabulary, so I feel like I could stand to gain a lot by listening to the audio again. So far I've listened to the first episode of the first series twice.

Russian
Videos from 3ears.com (Russian videos with subtitles/transcripts in English and Russian), such as the series Кухня or Как я стал русским. I think I prefer the former, although so far I've only watched one episode, then listening to it again twice.

German
?

Hungarian
?

French
?

Any recommendations on what to watch and then listen to on repeat are much appreciated. At first I was thinking about staying away from movies, but I reckon if I cut them up into smaller pieces (repeatedly listening to the same 30-minute extracts) they could actually work pretty well.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-23, 14:05

J'aime bien cette idée et je voudrai l'utiliser avec le français et peut-être aussi avec le portugais. Je me sens que ma comprehension orale et mes compétences en parlant sont plus bas de ma capacité pour écrire et ma comprehension écrite.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-23, 17:32

Saim wrote:Videos from 3ears.com

Wow this looks like an awesome resource! Saim you have an ability to find the best learning materials on the internet.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-24, 1:17

All I can suggest is Easy Languages and its spinoff, Easy German. :P They don't have all that many episodes in Hungarian (only 10 IIRC), but they have tons for French and German and have at least a few episodes in a wide variety of other languages, too. (In case you didn't already know, both of these channels basically form a series of videos where people on the street are interviewed on all sorts of topics (though there are also a lot of videos geared towards beginners where they just demonstrate the pronunciation of some simple phrases). Every single video is subtitled in the target language. Most of them are also subtitled in English; the only exceptions I know of are a few episodes of Easy German subtitled in Turkish or Arabic instead of English for the benefit of refugees and the first few episodes from the same series with subtitles only in German.

Back when I started studying Hungarian seriously, I used a Hungarian TV series called Abigél to get myself exposed to spoken Hungarian. Someone had subtitled the first half of the entire series in English, but later, YouTube removed it due to copyright restrictions IIRC. :? It's a shame because it was such an interesting story (based on a mystery novel by Magda Szabó). It was about a teenage girl from Budapest during World War II forced to stay in a fictional girls' boarding school in eastern Hungary (or perhaps even in Vojvodina) for her safety. The school includes a statue of its guardian angel, Abigél, who supposedly helps the students with problems they have. Everyone seems to know that there is a human being behind Abigél's deeds, but no one seems to know who.
dEhiN wrote:J'aime bien cette idée et je voudrais l'utiliser avec le français et peut-être aussi avec le portugais. Je me sens que ma compreéhension orale et mes compétences en parlant ma capacité de parler sont plus bas de baisses que ma capacité pour d'écrire et ma compreéhension écrite.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-24, 3:51

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:J'aime bien cette idée et je voudrais l'utiliser avec le français et peut-être aussi avec le portugais. Je me sens que ma compreéhension orale et mes compétences en parlant ma capacité de parler sont plus bas de baisses que ma capacité pour d'écrire et ma compreéhension écrite.

Merci bien pour tes corrections Vijay!
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-24, 4:04

De rien! :)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-02-26, 9:35

Levike wrote:
Saim wrote:Azt remélem! Nagyon sokat megtanultam (vagy tanultam meg? még nem küzdtem le a magyar szórendet :) )

De végül milyen logika alapján működik a szórend? Mert én sem tudom.

Általában azt olvasom, hogy "szabad sorrend", de mindig vannak furcsa "magyartalan" kombinációk. :silly:

Szerintem valamilyen szabályok vannak, de igazad van, nem 100% megbízhatók.

voron wrote:
Saim wrote:Videos from 3ears.com

Wow this looks like an awesome resource! Saim you have an ability to find the best learning materials on the internet.

I think that's more indicative of the fact that I spent too much time on language learning forums and chat groups than any actual skill or ability. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-27, 4:52

Saim wrote:
voron wrote:Saim you have an ability to find the best learning materials on the internet.

I think that's more indicative of the fact that I spent too much time on language learning forums and chat groups than any actual skill or ability. :P

Hey, how you find a resource doesn't matter; it's knowing how to find it that matters! Therefore you still have an ability: you know where to go to find good language learning materials! :D

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-02-27, 4:57

dEhiN wrote:
Saim wrote:
voron wrote:Saim you have an ability to find the best learning materials on the internet.

Hey, how you find a resource doesn't matter; it's knowing how to find it that matters! Therefore you still have an ability: you know where to go to find good language learning materials! :D

Estou de acordo. +2
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-27, 5:13

Michael wrote:Estou de acordo.

"Estou com acordo" funciona bem também, né?

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-02-27, 5:15

dEhiN wrote:

Pode dizer apenas "estou de acordo" ou "concordo com…".

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-27, 5:17

Michael wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Eu vi. Achei que é possível porque as coisas como "estou com forme/sede/frio/quente".

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-27, 5:19

dEhiN wrote:
Michael wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Eu vi. Achei que é possível porque as coisas como "estou com forme/sede/frio/quente".

"Estou com quente"? :hmm:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”