TAC 2017- Meera Hindi & Japanese

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2017- Meera Hindi & Japanese

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-30, 17:53

Meera wrote:I'm getting confused on where to put the consonants and vowels.

Do you mean when writing them in a syllable? The two most basic syllable types are CV and CV/C (I can't draw a horizontal line, so I'm using the backslash). In a syllable that starts with a vowel sound, you use ieung as the first C but you don't pronounce it. This way it still follows the syllable rules. It's only if ieung comes after a vowel sound (so basically on the bottom of a syllable) that you pronounce it as /ŋ/.

You can also get some syllables which have two C's on the bottom: CV/CC.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-06-30, 18:22

Meera wrote:[flag=]hi[/flag]I don't if I mentioned it before but a couple of months ago I got the Beginning Hindi Textbook. It is a gigantic textbook and around six hundred pages (there is also an Urdu one which I am planning on getting after finishing the Hindi one).

Thanks for the recommendation, this sounds great! I want to check the Urdu one out.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-06-30, 19:07

dEhiN wrote:
Meera wrote:I'm getting confused on where to put the consonants and vowels.

Do you mean when writing them in a syllable? The two most basic syllable types are CV and CV/C (I can't draw a horizontal line, so I'm using the backslash). In a syllable that starts with a vowel sound, you use ieung as the first C but you don't pronounce it. This way it still follows the syllable rules. It's only if ieung comes after a vowel sound (so basically on the bottom of a syllable) that you pronounce it as /ŋ/.

You can also get some syllables which have two C's on the bottom: CV/CC.

Thank you David
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-06-30, 19:09

eskandar wrote:
Meera wrote:[flag=]hi[/flag]I don't if I mentioned it before but a couple of months ago I got the Beginning Hindi Textbook. It is a gigantic textbook and around six hundred pages (there is also an Urdu one which I am planning on getting after finishing the Hindi one).

Thanks for the recommendation, this sounds great! I want to check the Urdu one out.

Yeah it is really good, I haven't seen the Urdu one yet but I think it is the same author. Just to note it does start out very basic and aimed toward beginners, but I still think the book is excellent :)
अहिंसा/เจ

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-01, 4:09

Meera wrote:
eskandar wrote:

Yeah it is really good, I haven't seen the Urdu one yet but I think it is the same author. Just to note it does start out very basic and aimed toward beginners, but I still think the book is excellent :)

Would you say it covers more stuff than Living Language Complete Hindi? I know LL has 3 books - Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced. But I'm not sure how advanced is Advanced.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-07-01, 4:30

dEhiN wrote:
Meera wrote:
eskandar wrote:

Would you say it covers more stuff than Living Language Complete Hindi? I know LL has 3 books - Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced. But I'm not sure how advanced is Advanced.

Yeah way way way more. The only problem is that it is VERY expensive. But it is highly extensive and covers a lot. If you took Hindi in University, this would probably be the type of book used.
अहिंसा/เจ

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-01, 4:35

Meera wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Would you say it covers more stuff than Living Language Complete Hindi? I know LL has 3 books - Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced. But I'm not sure how advanced is Advanced.

Yeah way way way more. The only problem is that it is VERY expensive. But it is highly extensive and covers a lot. If you took Hindi in University, this would probably be the type of book used.

So even though it's called Beginning Hindi, it's more like a comprehensive beginner to advanced textbook? Or does the series have an Intermediate and Advanced version? Also, who's it by?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-07-01, 10:53

I have a sneaking suspicion this is the book she's talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Hindi- ... 1626160228

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-01, 14:49

księżycowy wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion this is the book she's talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Hindi- ... 1626160228

Yes it is; she showed me a pic of the cover. I find it odd that it's called "Beginning Hindi" but apparently covers 4 semesters worth of university-level Hindi courses.

Edit: I looked up the same book on Canadian Amazon and there are 3 hits with quite varied pricing! There's this one with the same ISBN and it cost CAD $90.08, then there's this one which costs CAD $132.24, and finally there's this one which costs CAD $176.46!

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-07-01, 16:55

Meera wrote:
Dr. House wrote:I learned hiragana in 2 days but already forgot most of it. I learned the Korean script in a day and can use it to this day. It's super easy to read. :)

Really? I'm getting confused on where to put the consonants and vowels.

I meant reading it, not writing it. Huh :) i just know they don't have more than three letters in a "block".

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-01, 17:06

Dr. House wrote:
Meera wrote:
Dr. House wrote:I learned hiragana in 2 days but already forgot most of it. I learned the Korean script in a day and can use it to this day. It's super easy to read. :)

Really? I'm getting confused on where to put the consonants and vowels.

I meant reading it, not writing it. Huh :) i just know they don't have more than three letters in a "block".

That's not true; you can have four letters because you can have two consonants at the end sometimes.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-01, 20:56

Dr. House wrote:I meant reading it, not writing it. Huh :) i just know they don't have more than three letters in a "block".

If I remember correctly, Korean grammarians consider the "block" to be a syllable.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-07-02, 15:10

dEhiN wrote:
Meera wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Would you say it covers more stuff than Living Language Complete Hindi? I know LL has 3 books - Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced. But I'm not sure how advanced is Advanced.

So even though it's called Beginning Hindi, it's more like a comprehensive beginner to advanced textbook? Or does the series have an Intermediate and Advanced version? Also, who's it by?

Hey David sorry this is late, But yeah the title is kind of miss leading, I can't say for certain because I haven't completely finished it but by just glancing at it, I could see this being used for at least 3 semesters of a Hindi university if not all four. It seems to cover about the same as both Genki or Al-Kitaab, however because Hindi is a little less involved so I would say it goes up to at least high intermediate. It is pretty vocabulary and grammar heavy and has some small dialogues sprinkled throughout.
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-07-12, 18:29

[flag=]ko[/flag] Korean Update!

July 12 2017
7월 12일

So for the past couple of weeks I have been learning 한글. Although I can not read perfectly, I can read simple words. They are absolutely nothing alike but for some reason learning Hangul reminded me of the first time I started learning Dveanagari, maybe because I just had fun learning it like I had fun doing Hangul :P So anyway here is an overview of what I have learned thus far:

-Hangul Consonants and Vowels

ㄱ ㄴ ㄷ ㄹ ㅁ ㅂ ㅅ ㅇ ㅈ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎ

ㅃ ㅉ ㄸ ㄲ ㅆ

ㅏ ㅑ ㅓ ㅕ ㅗ ㅛ ㅜ ㅠ ㅡ ㅣ ㅐ ㅔ

ㅒ ㅖ ㅘ ㅙ ㅚ ㅝ ㅞ ㅟ ㅢ

Basic Words - Unit One (From Korean from Zero)

가구
나라
노래
누구
두마
모래
매너
모두
누나
고구마

Basic Words Unit 2

버즈
제대
아기
추스
사유
개미
버개
다지
부츠
고기

Basic Words Unit 3

타다

세계
파티
피사
노트
애기
그녀
커피
야채
히터
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-07-12, 19:18

2017年7月12日

こんにちは。

Today, In Japanese I worked on my Kanji handwriting and read a a little bit of my new Japanese an essential grammar book. I really like it and it is a good reference and definitely explains some things in more detail which is awesome. So today I learned about だって which from what the book was saying can work as a conjunction and a particle. So I'm guessing it can mean : because, but, even and also. I also learned about なら which the book explains it can directly follow an adjectival nouns and is roughly translated into if. For example:
買い物なら渋谷がいいでしよ。

あなたが行くなら私も行くたいです。
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-07-14, 16:56

[flag=]hi[/flag] I probably should have done this a long time ago but I am starting to read a lot about Braj Bhasha and Awadhi. I am currently reading Rupert Snell's Braj in Brief, Braj Bhasha reader and Sur Sorahi. Seriously wish I did this earlier.
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-10-07, 16:04

I'm gonna try to update this more frequently, i have just been so busy lately I haven't had time to do anything :(
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-08, 0:04

Meera wrote:[flag=]hi[/flag] I probably should have done this a long time ago but I am starting to read a lot about Braj Bhasha and Awadhi. I am currently reading Rupert Snell's Braj in Brief, Braj Bhasha reader and Sur Sorahi. Seriously wish I did this earlier.

I wish I knew more about these kinds of language varieties, too, or just about anything in Indo-Iranian other than some Hindi/Urdu, Persian, and Bengali. :P

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-10-08, 4:30

vijayjohn wrote:
Meera wrote:[flag=]hi[/flag] I probably should have done this a long time ago but I am starting to read a lot about Braj Bhasha and Awadhi. I am currently reading Rupert Snell's Braj in Brief, Braj Bhasha reader and Sur Sorahi. Seriously wish I did this earlier.

I wish I knew more about these kinds of language varieties, too, or just about anything in Indo-Iranian other than some Hindi/Urdu, Persian, and Bengali. :P

They are pretty interesting and really not hard to figure out if you have a background in Indo-Iranian languages :)
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-08, 4:33

Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

They are pretty interesting and really not hard to figure out if you have a background in Indo-Iranian languages :)

That's good because I'm trying to translate a song from Marwari for Eskandar Bhai. :lol:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”