TAC 2017 - Antea (Russian, German, Arabic, Hindi)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

IpseDixit
Re: TAC 2017 - Antea (Russian, German, Arabic, Hindi)

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-04-03, 16:42

I have no idea how you manage to study those five languages at once without going crazy. :lol:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-04-03, 20:41

I don't have the same level in all of them, and I didn't learned them simultaneously. I learned German and Arabic when I was at University. But, afterwards, I used German a lot for working, whereas I didn't use Arabic at all, so I didn't develop it like German. Russian I'm learning it now for 2 years, but I did it quite intensively, so I think that maybe it could be now at same level that Arabic (and because of that, I mix the vocabulary of these two).

I started learned Hindi last year, but I didn't continue. And I have recently started to learn Chinese. But I'm at the very beginning of it.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-03, 21:24

Antea wrote:I don't have the same level in all of them, and I didn't learned them simultaneously. I learned German and Arabic when I was at University. But, afterwards, I used German a lot for working, whereas I didn't use Arabic at all, so I didn't develop it like German. Russian I've been learning it now for 2 years, but I did it quite intensively, so I think that maybe it could be now at same level that Arabic (and because of that, I mix up the vocabulary of these two).

I started learning Hindi last year, but I didn't continue. And I have recently started to learn Chinese, but I'm at the very beginning of it.

Better: "...but I'm just starting with it".

You use more commas than you need to. Contemporary English usage is to be very sparing with them.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-04-03, 21:26

"at the same level that Arabic" is correct? :hmm:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-03, 21:35

IpseDixit wrote:"at the same level that Arabic" is correct? :hmm:

No, it's not. I must've mentally supplied an "is" after Arabic. Either "at the same level as Arabic" or "at the same level that Arabic is" would be correct.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-04-03, 21:57

Thanks for your corrections :yep:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-04, 1:20

IpseDixit wrote:I have no idea how you manage to study those five languages at once without going crazy. :lol:

Oh, hello there! :whistle: ;)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-04-04, 2:57

vijayjohn wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:I have no idea how you manage to study those five languages at once without going crazy. :lol:

You're too far gone, mate.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-04, 3:45

According to the Lonely Planet Burmese Phrasebook, young Burmese people like to make fun of foreigners by saying "hey you!" because [ju] with a sharp falling tone means 'crazy'.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-04, 18:36

vijayjohn wrote:

I should do an Avengers movie meme about it, with Bruce Banner saying "that's my secret, captain...", but I'm not sure you would be offended.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-05, 4:09

Osias wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

I should do an Avengers movie meme about it, with Bruce Banner saying "that's my secret, captain...", but I'm not sure you would be offended.

No, I wouldn't, because I already have no idea what you're talking about, sorry! :P

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-05, 14:27

Did you watch the movie?
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-04-05, 17:54

Osias wrote:Did you watch the movie?

If he had no idea what you were talking about, then it's obvious that he hasn't seen it. I haven't seen it either, by the way.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-05, 20:26

Michael wrote:
Osias wrote:Did you watch the movie?

If he had no idea what you were talking about, then it's obvious that he hasn't seen it.
Not quite.

But I'll make the joke without any references to the movie to simplify things: People who study 5 languages at the same time are not afraid to became crazy because they already are.

PS: I actually don't think this. I was just going to make the joke with Avengers characters.
Last edited by Osias on 2017-04-06, 2:27, edited 1 time in total.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-04-05, 21:01

Do I really have to explain why I study languages even here? I am so tired to always have to explain why I study this one, or this other. I just like it. It's that so weird? :cry:

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-04-05, 21:14

Antea wrote:Do I really have to explain why I study languages even here? I am so tired to always have to explain why I study this one, or this other. I just like it. It's that so weird? :cry:

Nobody asked you that.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-04-05, 21:23

I don't know, maybe I just got that impression because people talking of being crazy or going crazy :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-05, 23:41

Don't worry, they're just saying I'm crazy, but you won't be, trust me! :D

(No, seriously, they're just kidding around :)).

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-05-17, 20:31

[flag=]ar[/flag] I am mainly doing Arabic these days. A lot of vocabulary is coming back. I try to speak in Arabic at least once per week. I am listening also to a lot of material on YouTube. And I am watching some Arabic programs on TV, and also to watching series with subtitles.

[flag=]ru[/flag] For the moment I am only trying to maintain my passive skills. Because of so many input in Arabic, when I try to speak in Russian, I only can remember Arabic vocabulary, and I mix it. So for now, I am only listening to films in Russian, news, and documentaries. But not practising conversation. I think I have similar levels on both languages. Could really that be possible? :hmm:

[flag=]zh[/flag] I am still a beginner. I am trying not to let it down. It's difficult to keep going, because of so much Arabic. But I would like to have at least some basis on it, even if it's not possible to go further for the moment.
Last edited by Antea on 2017-05-17, 21:03, edited 2 times in total.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-05-17, 20:50

Antea wrote:[flag=]ar[/flag] I am mainly doing Arabic these days. A lot of vocabulary is coming back. I try to speak in Arabic at least once per week. I am listening also to a lot of listening material. I am watching some Arabic programs on TV, and also to series with subtitles.

:Envy: :| I still can't watch or read anything in MSA just for fun. It's always a toil where I have to translate everything with a dictionary. A couple days ago I opened "The little prince" in MSA and oh woe is me, I still don't know most of the words. MSA is cursed. :(

It looks like my Syrian dialect is getting better than my MSA though - I actually talked to people a few times in Syrian and it was bearable, and I seem to understand TV shows in Syrian better than I understand anything in MSA. But I want to know MSA too. :para:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”