TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator
Re: TAC 2017 dEhiN

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-03-22, 12:08

vijayjohn wrote:I don't think so. I found search results for things like så din bror bor här?.

That order works if you assume the brother lives there too, but you're just asking to be sure. That's even more the case for the sentence Vijay found. Compare the same sentences in English "Does your brother live here too?", "Your brother lives here too?", and "So your brother lives here too?" I think there are some differences in markedness between comparable sentences in English and Swedish, but it gives enough of an idea.
The unmarked order for yes/no-questions has the verb first, and then the subject.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-03-22, 14:45

dEhiN wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] J'ai fini atteint au final mes buts pour étudier le français, le suédois, le tamoul et le portugais.

Mais je n'ai pas atteint mes buts dans le sens que j'ai fini d'étudier pour mes 4 langues. J'ai fini d'écrire mes buts d'étude.
Ah, d'accord. Alors je dirais "J'ai fini d'écrire mes buts" ou "J'ai fini (d'écrire) une liste de mes buts".

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] venir de + quelque chose to come from doing something
"venir de quelque chose" veut dire "to come from something". (par ex. "Je viens de la bibliothèque." = "I am coming from the library.")

Mais "venir de faire quelque chose" veut dire "to have just done something" ("Je viens de quitter la bibliothèque." = "I have just left the library.")
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-23, 16:38

Dormouse559 wrote:Mais "venir de faire quelque chose" veut dire "to have just done something" ("Je viens de quitter la bibliothèque." = "I have just left the library.")

Merci pour l'explication.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-23, 16:40

Anki for March 22:

[flag=]fr[/flag] oui yes
[flag=]fr[/flag] dru [adv.] abundantly; heavily; vigorously
[flag=]fr[/flag] la pause break; pause; (musical) rest
[flag=]fr[/flag] obligatoire/obligatoire mandatory; obligatory [sing./pl.]

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] preocupado/preocupada/preocupados/preocupadas worried [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o médico / a médica doctor [m./f.]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] os pais parents; fathers
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] estar com frio; ter frio to be cold [only used for people]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] sábado Saturday

[flag=]sv[/flag] en kusin -- kusinen cousin
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-25, 18:24

Anki for March 25:

[flag=]fr[/flag] emprunter to borrow
[flag=]fr[/flag] haut/haute/hauts/hautes high; tall [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]
[flag=]fr[/flag] facile/faciles easy [sing./pl.]

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] ser to be [permanent]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a quinta(-feira) Thursday
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o jardim garden
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] barato/barata/baratos/baratas cheap (in price) [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a terça(-feira) Tuesday

[flag=]sv[/flag] en bror -- brodern brother
[flag=]sv[/flag] hela vår familj bor här our whole family lives here

Also, I'm changing my goals. I'm going to do one language per week. Juggling two doesn't seem to work well for me.

Goals for Week of 27/03 - 02/04:
  1. Swedish: Introduction of Swedish: An Essential Grammar
  2. Swedish: Chapter 1 of Swedish: An Essential Grammar

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-25, 23:30

Sua ordem de aprendizagem dos dias da semana é muito louca , mano.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-26, 0:17

dEhiN wrote:I'm going to do one language per week. Juggling two doesn't seem to work well for me.

How were you trying to juggle the two? What was difficult for you?

I ask cause I'm juggling three daily, and so far I'm not having any issues. In short, I just got curious. If you don't mind me asking.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-27, 20:59

księżycowy wrote:How were you trying to juggle the two? What was difficult for you?

I ask cause I'm juggling three daily, and so far I'm not having any issues. In short, I just got curious. If you don't mind me asking.

Well I was going to try and study two languages every fortnight. What I found difficult was being able to fully give mental attention to each language. I hadn't even started any of the goals and my mind kept saying "I want to focus on Swedish ... no, I want to focus on Tamil ... no, Swedish ... no, Tamil ...". Two years ago when I was juggling two languages a week, I didn't seem to have a problem. I think I was just focused on getting the goals done. So not sure what's going on.

Also, how are you juggling three daily? I thought your goals are biweekly ones?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-27, 21:00

Osias wrote:Sua ordem de aprendizagem dos dias da semana é muito louca , mano.

It took me so long to figure out what you meant! I had to ask another Brazilian friend of mine, and finally realized you're referring to my starting the week on a Monday, right? I used to start weeks on the Sunday, but for the past few months I've shifted to starting on a Monday.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-27, 21:01

Anki for Mar. 27:

[flag=]fr[/flag] le port naval port
[flag=]fr[/flag] j'ai des ennuis I'm in trouble

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] disposto/disposta/disposts/dispostas willing [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] dois/duas two [m./f.]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o agricultor / a agricultora farmer [m./f.; used in Portugal]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] oito eight
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] zangado/zangada/zangados/zangadas angry [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] os senhores gentlemen; men; you [nom. m. pl. form.]
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o couro leather

[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உங்களுடைய பெயர் என்ன? what's your name? [pol.]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-27, 21:35

dEhiN wrote:Well I was going to try and study two languages every fortnight. What I found difficult was being able to fully give mental attention to each language. I hadn't even started any of the goals and my mind kept saying "I want to focus on Swedish ... no, I want to focus on Tamil ... no, Swedish ... no, Tamil ...". Two years ago when I was juggling two languages a week, I didn't seem to have a problem. I think I was just focused on getting the goals done. So not sure what's going on.

I see. So it was deciding which to work on when. That make sense.

Also, how are you juggling three daily? I thought your goals are biweekly ones?

My goals are weekly. I was going to do biweekly ("fortnight"), but I switched back to weekly. Seems a better fit for me.

As for how I do three daily*, I have a bit of a routine down. I usually get up in the morning and have two hours before I have to get ready for work, so I work on one language then (usually Hebrew), and then I work on the other two when i get home from work. I don't have a set routine for the afternoon, I just work on which ever I feel like working on first. :P

I'm usually only spending about 15~30 minutes on any one language per day.

*It's not really daily either, more like "most days a week." As I said in my blog, I usually give myself a day or two for a break, or life.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-27, 22:20

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:Sua ordem de aprendizagem dos dias da semana é muito louca , mano.

It took me so long to figure out what you meant! I had to ask another Brazilian friend of mine, and finally realized you're referring to my starting the week on a Monday, right?

Não, não.

Estou falando dos seus cards Anki. Um dia você coloca "sexta", ou dia "sábado" ou dia coloca "terça(-feira)" e "quinta"... Totalmente aleatório.

Poderíamos traduzir mais livremente minha frase como

The order that you learn the days of the week is very crazy, bro.

Eu imaginava que você fosse aprender todos os dias de uma vez ou que pelo menos fosse distribuir em 7 lotes de cartas consecutivos, na ordem dos dias da semana.

Agora... eu estou surpreso que seu amigo não entendeu minha frase. Talvez faltou o contexto do Unilang e dos cards.

Só lembrando que
a aprendizagem = (the process of) learning
o estudo = (the process of) studying
sua aprendizagem de X = your learning of X
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-29, 19:33

I've been struggling a lot with depression lately. I know why, but it's so difficult to deal with and I'm constantly feeling unmotivated. I decided to learn 5 new cards a day in Anki for the time being.

Anki for Mar. 29:

[flag=]fr[/flag] atteindre to attain; to accomplish
[flag=]fr[/flag] la conversation conversation

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] bem well
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] trabalhar to work
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a informática computing

I'm also going to add Hawaiian to my TAC, just so I can keep track of the goals. Meera and I tried going through one video lesson a day, but that proved too much. So we've gone back to one lesson a week. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, see Meera and dEhiN's Hawaiian Thread.

3. Hawaiian: Lesson 1 of Kamehameha Schools Distance Learning Kulāiwi video lessons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-30, 19:20

Anki for Mar. 30:

[flag=]fr[/flag] le téléphone portable cell phone
[flag=]fr[/flag] être + en train de + {INFINITIVE VERB} to be + {VERB} + ing
[flag=]fr[/flag] bonne après-midi good afternoon

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a revista magazine
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a jardinagem gardening

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-30, 20:14

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] le téléphone portable cell phone

Does anyone ever say that or do they just say "portable" ("cellulaire" in Quebec)?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-30, 21:41

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] le téléphone portable cell phone

Does anyone ever say that or do they just say "portable" ("cellulaire" in Quebec)?

I'm not sure because I know laptop is "l'ordinateur portable". So I thought "portable" might be short for laptop.

PS. Dormouse did mention earlier in my TAC here that "portable" can be used as a short form for both laptop and cellphone. Maybe I'll change both this card and "l'ordinateur portable" to something like "le (téléphone) portable" and "(l'ordinateur) portable". Also, I had forgotten Quebec says "cellulaire" so thanks for the reminder!

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-03-30, 23:01

dEhiN wrote:Maybe I'll change both this card and "l'ordinateur portable" to something like "le (téléphone) portable" and "(l'ordinateur) portable".
I think you should. "Portable" is more popular, most obviously because it's half as long as the full forms.

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] être + en train de + {INFINITIVE VERB} to be + {VERB} + ing
To be used sparingly. I personally haven't made use of that construction more than few times in nearly a decade. I haven't noticed you using it much, but I thought it'd be good to point out.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-31, 5:16

Dormouse559 wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Maybe I'll change both this card and "l'ordinateur portable" to something like "le (téléphone) portable" and "(l'ordinateur) portable".
I think you should. "Portable" is more popular, most obviously because it's half as long as the full forms.

Done. (Est-ce qu'il y a un seul mot à dire ça en français ? Ou, une phrase simple ? )

Dormouse559 wrote:
dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] être + en train de + {INFINITIVE VERB} to be + {VERB} + ing
To be used sparingly. I personally haven't made use of that construction more than few times in nearly a decade. I haven't noticed you using it much, but I thought it'd be good to point out.

Merci. Ouais mon ami, qui me l'a enseigné, m'a dit aussi le même avis. Je trouvais que cette phrase est utilisé quand on veut insister sur le fait que l'action se passe dans le moment présent.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-31, 23:32

Anki for Mar. 31:

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a pirataria piracy

[flag=]haw[/flag] maika'i goodness; good-looking; to be fine
[flag=]haw[/flag] ahonui patience
[flag=]haw[/flag] pehea? how?
[flag=]haw[/flag] aloha hi; bye; (expresses mutual regard & affection)

I'm thinking of changing my tack for my TAC. I met with my degree advisor yesterday, and she finagled a way to allow me to count Korean and two other language courses into my degree. (I took Korean in the fall of 2016). The language courses are cheaper than the other core courses for my degree, so I'm thinking of taking Spanish for the summer. I want to be able to use Anki while I'm studying, so I'm thinking of just trying to go through all the new Anki cards I haven't studied yet, but putting aside learning any new grammar or vocab in French, Portuguese, Tamil and Swedish. I will probably still keep with Hawaiian.

If I do this, I currently have in my Anki decks 232 new French cards, 207 new Portuguese cards, 26 new Swedish cards, and 26 new Tamil cards. I also have 355 Spanish cards which aren't new, but I'd suspended when I decided to focus on French, Portuguese, Swedish and Tamil. That's a total of 846 cards. The class would start in the third week of May. If study at a rate of 30 cards a day it'll take me 29 days to learn them all. A rate of 25 cards per day will take me 34 days, and a rate of 20 cards per day will take me 43 days. If I start doing this tomorrow (April 1), I will have roughly about 43 days before the third week of May.

I think I'm going to try 30 cards a day. My depression has really been affecting me, and making me lose desire to study. However, I'm hoping that it'll be a little easier if all I'm doing is Anki. Well, we'll see.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-04-01, 3:54

dEhiN wrote:Done. (Est-ce qu'il y a un seul mot à pour dire ça en français ? Ou, une phrase simple ? )
Hum, j'en suis pas sûr. Probablement "Voilà qui est fait" ou "C'est fait".

dEhiN wrote:Merci. Ouais mon ami, qui me l'a enseigné, m'a aussi donné le même avis. J'ai trouvé que cette phrase est utilisée quand on veut insister sur le fait que l'action se passe dans le moment présent.
Exactement.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”