TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2017 dEhiN

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-05-06, 13:00

dEhiN wrote:For my birthday (which was on April 25 :D )

Oops! Late happy birthday!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-06, 14:04

dEhiN wrote: (I always want to write kzies!)

Giving me a nickname, are you? :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-06, 14:40

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:For my birthday (which was on April 25 :D )

Oops! Late happy birthday!

நன்றி! (You know I totally added the date for any late birthday wishes! :D)

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote: (I always want to write kzies!)

Giving me a nickname, are you? :P

Well the funny thing is I have no idea how to properly pronounce your UL name or the "nickname" I've given you (in my head). I think for some reason I have the sound phrase /k͡si(j)ɛz/ in my head, which would make sense if I'm reading "ksiez", so the first part of your UL name but as in English (though I'm not sure why I don't use /e/!). I think why I keep wanting to write "kzies" instead is because of some weird luso-hispano-sound-rule merging. If I try to analyze it, it seems to go something like this: <z> in Latin American Spanish (the variety I know) is /s/, so the sound /ks/ must be written as /kz/, but then final <s> in Brazilian Portuguese is sometimes /z/ as in the word "vocês" /voseiz/, so the final /z/ must be written as <s>, giving me "ksiez".
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-06, 14:54

dEhiN wrote:நன்றி! (You know I totally added the date for any late birthday wishes! :D)

Well, if that's the case:
Breithlá Sona! Go maire tú an céad, agus bliain chun aithrí!

Well the funny thing is I have no idea how to properly pronounce your UL name or the "nickname" I've given you (in my head). I think for some reason I have the sound phrase /k͡si(j)ɛz/ in my head, which would make sense if I'm reading "ksiez", so the first part of your UL name but as in English (though I'm not sure why I don't use /e/!). I think why I keep wanting to write "kzies" instead is because of some weird luso-hispano-sound-rule merging. If I try to analyze it, it seems to go something like this: <z> in Latin American Spanish (the variety I know) is /s/, so the sound /ks/ must be written as /kz/, but then final <s> in Brazilian Portuguese is sometimes /z/ as in the word "vocês" /voseiz/, so the final /z/ must be written as <s>, giving me "ksiez".

Keep in mind it's a ż not a z.

I figured out how to pronounce it once, a while back when I was doing some stuff with Polish, but ever since I've been focusing on other languages and such, I kind of forgot. :P

The IPA for księżyc is /ˈkʲɕɛw̃ʐɨt͡s/, which I literally just looked up.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-11, 2:44

Update time:

Portuguese
  • Bring progress bars for Duolingo Portuguese categories "Plurals", "Tu/Você", and "Possession" to full

I actually finished catching up yesterday, but still did Duo today just cause. I decided to not keep doing Duo every day. The next time I work on Portuguese I'll bring Duo up to gold in all categories and then do however many new lessons I decide to do.

I got a small opportunity to use Portuguese today: As I mentioned on the Random Complaints and Advice Thread, I had found an organization called The Gatehouse that offers peer support programs for those recovering from childhood sexual abuse. Today in the afternoon was my intake appointment. My intake worker turned out to be a Portuguese woman. At first I didn't know she her background, but at one point when she was sharing with me a bit of her story, I asked her what her background was. When she said Portuguese, I blurted out "você fala português?". She replied pardon, and normally I let myself get all scared and think the person doesn't speak it or I'm pronouncing it horribly, and would've (in the past) switched to English. This time though, I didn't, and repeated in Portuguese. She answered yes (I think in English) and then asked me if I do. I said "um pouco". She then asked me how I knew Portuguese, and I told her in English how I like to study languages. Prior to this exchange I had mentioned how I'm from Sri Lanka. So after this exchange she said my accent was really good and she thought that maybe I was half-Portuguese!

If that's not an encouragement to keep speaking, I don't know what is! :D :D :D
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-11, 2:54

Você está ligado que "você" é informal no Brasil e formal do Portugal, não é? Só pra saber.

Fora isso: Parabéns! :) :)
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-11, 3:19

Next on the list:
  • French
  • Portuguese
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Swedish
So with Portuguese done, I'm moving onto Spanish.

I think for Spanish, I'm going to start reviewing ¡Adelante! Uno, the textbook used for Spanish 1 & 2 at my college. Next week Wednesday I start Spanish 3. The Adelante books have both the textbook and workbook in one, but I'll just do chapter 1 of the textbook. As someone (I think Aurinĭa) suggested, I'll try to review ¡Adelante! Uno while I'm doing Spanish 3 at school (and thus going through ¡Adelante! Dos!). Because I bought this first book used (from a former student), I don't have access to the audio, but hopefully I've spoken and heard enough saludos that I'll be ok without it.

Spanish
  • Review Chapter 1 "Hola, ¿qué tal?", pp. 1-38 of ¡Adelante! Uno -- due May 15

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-11, 3:22

Osias wrote:Você está ligado que "você" é informal no Brasil e formal do Portugal, não é? Só pra saber.

Is "você está ligado" like saying in English "you are aware" or "you did know"? In that case, I had forgotten that. I was going to use "tu" since I knew it's used in Portugal, but I also remembered that "tu" is very informal in Portugal. I guess maybe I didn't think of "você" as being formal in Portugal, just as being in between very informal and very formal; so between what you would use for your own child or pet, and what you would call a judge.

Osias wrote:Fora isso: Parabéns! :) :)

Obrigado! Depois disso, eu quis (ou queria?) responder a ela totalmente em português, mas não podia. Even when she asked me how I know Portuguese, I couldn't think fast enough to tell her "I like to study languages" in Portuguese! :para:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-11, 18:56

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:Você está ligado que "você" é informal no Brasil e formal do Portugal, não é? Só pra saber.

Is "você está ligado" like saying in English "you are aware"

Sim, mas menos formal.

I was going to use "tu" since I knew it's used in Portugal, but I also remembered that "tu" is very informal in Portugal.

O fato de você mudado de língua inesperadamente, mais o seu sotaque, mais este fato podem ter contribuído pra ela não ter te entendido logo de cara.

Depois disso, eu quis (ou queria?)

Tanto faz.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-12, 6:17

Osias wrote:Sim, mas menos formal.

I thought that was an informal way of writing "mais ou menos"! Is there a difference between using "ao menos" or "mas menos". Oh never mind; I guess "mas menos" means "but less" while "ao menos" means "at least"?

O fato de você mudado de língua inesperadamente, mais o seu sotaque, mais este fato podem ter contribuído pra ela não ter te entendido logo de cara.

Tem razão!

Osias (ou Vijay ou alguém outro quem fala português), preciso sua ajuda com um vidéo. O segundo vidéo é duma menina do Brasil. Não posso entender o todo que ela diz, mas acho que ela diz "oi eu sou alice, eu gosto de baseball (?), eu gosto de estudar, muita obrigada (?) .... feijião (?), gosto de ... amela, amanda e ana tchau". É correto? O quê mais?

https://goo.gl/photos/uL9DNwJFMvcX5QoZ8

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-12, 15:39

Oi eu sou Alice, eu gosto deeeeee ir pra escola, eu gosto de estudar, husadhsasnsadsadasa feijããããoooo... gosto de... eu tenhosdç,saiosjdasdsada mar ... a.... Amélia, Amanda e Ana. Tchau!

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-12, 15:41

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:Sim, mas menos formal.

I thought that was an informal way of writing "mais ou menos"! Is there a difference between using "ao menos" or "mas menos". Oh never mind; I guess "mas menos" means "but less" while "ao menos" means "at least"?

Sim.

O segundo vídeo é duma menina do Brasil

Acho que aí rolou uma interferênciazinha do espanhol, que a pronúncia parece "vidéo".

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-12, 16:09

Osias wrote:Oi eu sou Alice, eu gosto deeeeee ir pra escola, eu gosto de estudar, husadhsasnsadsadasa feijããããoooo... gosto de... eu tenhosdç,saiosjdasdsada mar ... a.... Amélia, Amanda e Ana. Tchau!

Sério?! O quê significa as coisas como "husadhsasnsadsadasa" e "tenhosdç,saiosjdasdsada mar"? Is that her way of talking, because she's a little girl, or is it a problem with the recorded audio? I assume "eu tenho...mar" means "I live beside the sea"?

Osias wrote:
O segundo vídeo é duma menina do Brasil

Acho que aí rolou uma interferênciazinha do espanhol, que a pronúncia parece "vidéo".

Talvez, provavelmente tem razão.

Você usou o diminutivo -inha, né? Tenho uma pergunta disso: qual é a diferença entre -inho/a e -ito/a? Acho que um é pros substantivos e o outro pros adjetivos, mas sempre esqueci qual é qual*.

*Pelo "qual é qual", eu quero dizer "which is which"; usei uma tradução literal. :oops:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-05-12, 16:43

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:Oi eu sou Alice, eu gosto deeeeee ir pra escola, eu gosto de estudar, husadhsasnsadsadasa feijããããoooo... gosto de... eu tenhosdç,saiosjdasdsada mar ... a.... Amélia, Amanda e Ana. Tchau!

Sério?! O quê significa as coisas como "husadhsasnsadsadasa" e "tenhosdç,saiosjdasdsada mar"? Is that her way of talking, because she's a little girl, or is it a problem with the recorded audio?

I think he just means that it's not clear what she's saying there.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-12, 22:57

É.

Provavelmente a qualidade do áudio é a culpada, mas pode ser que a menina seja difícil de entender ao vivo, tem uma dicção ruim. Conheço muita gente assim, tenho um primo que era um caso grave, ele falava alguma coisa e eu tinha que falar "quê" trezentas vezes.

dEhiN wrote:I assume "eu tenho...mar" means "I live beside the sea"?
Não, não dá pra saber o que ela falou, "mar" pode ser o fim de uma palavra. Mas se seguir o padrão, todas as coisas que deu pra entender eram ela dizendo do que gosta. Quer dizer, "Amanda, Amélia e Ana" devem ser amiguinhas ou professoras.

Se bem que é muita gente com a letra "A" junta... :hmm:

dEhiN wrote:Tenho uma pergunta disso: qual é a diferença entre -inho/a e -ito/a?
Acho que "ito" é mais raro, sendo usado por quem quer dar um "tcham" diferente na palavra ou soar hispânico.

dEhiN wrote:Acho que um é pros substantivos e o outro pros adjetivos

Não tem essa distinção, que eu saiba... :hmm:

dEhiN wrote:mas sempre esqueço qual é qual*.

*Pelo "qual é qual", eu quero dizer "which is which"; usei uma tradução literal.

Está ok.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-18, 8:00

Osias wrote:Mas se seguir o padrão, todas as coisas que deu pra entender eram ela dizendo do que gosta. Quer dizer, "Amanda, Amélia e Ana" devem ser amiguinhas ou professoras.

O padrão é esta maneira porque o vídeo fui no site de World Vision. Então Alice é uma menina que você pode patrocinar. (Este verbo é correto?)

Achei que isso é estranho também!

dEhiN wrote:Acho que um é pros substantivos e o outro pros adjetivos

Não tem essa distinção, que eu saiba... :hmm:

Então posso dizer os dois "pobrinho" e "jantinha"? (Ou "jantazinha"? "Jantarinha"?)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-18, 13:30

Update time:

I haven't done anything for Spanish for these past 8 days or so. In fact I decided to drop my Spanish course, so I'm only doing French and ASL. Last week Saturday I had my first class for both. They were fun, and I'm looking forward to both. However, the combination of both classes, the homework for both, as well as the personal stuff I'm dealing with has meant I haven't been able to look at Spanish. I think for now I'm going to take Spanish off my list. I would like to add Spanish (and Tamil) back onto my list soon, perhaps the next time I go through my list.

So, next on the list:
  • French
  • Portuguese
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Swedish

It's only been the first week of classes and I'm already behind! Well, I just have several things to do, especially for ASL, and I haven't started any of them yet. So I'm not going to start anything for Japanese nor even think about my TAC until I finish everything for my classes.

I'm thinking of starting to use Anki again, except this time create a new deck solely for all the French vocabulary I'm learning and will learn. This is because in addition to the official vocabulary for each chapter, I can see there being quite a few words that I learn in class. I already saw this happen in the first lecture: there were several words the prof used that I or someone else asked the meaning of, or that he introduced to us because it was part of the conversation we were all having. And that type of vocabulary could really boost my French knowledge, but apart from Anki, I don't know how else to learn it. Any suggestions?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-05-18, 13:42

dEhiN wrote:I'm not going to start anything for Japanese

:doggy:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-18, 15:13

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:Mas se seguir o padrão, todas as coisas que deu pra entender eram ela dizendo do que gosta. Quer dizer, "Amanda, Amélia e Ana" devem ser amiguinhas ou professoras.

O padrão é desta maneira porque o vídeo foi no site da World Vision. Então Alice é uma menina que você pode patrocinar. (Este verbo é correto?)

Está certo, mas a Visão Mundial costuma falar "apadrinhar". Padrinho/Madrinha são as palavras para "godfather/godmother", mas eles usam apenas com o sentido de "patrocinar" mesmo.

Achei isso estranho também!
Achei que isso ficou estranho também!

Acho que a Visão Mundial montou uma lista por ordem alfabética com os nomes das crianças, então tudo faz sentido.

dEhiN wrote:Então posso dizer ambos "pobrinho" e "jantinha"? (Ou "jantazinha"? "Jantarinha"?)

Você tentou dizer "both" e a palavra é "ambos", mas o registro fica muito elevado. Sugiro dizer "Então posso dizer tanto "pobrinho" quanto "jantinha"? "

Sim, pode.

"Jantarinha" nunca vi, com erre. Acho contrário aos paradigmas. "Jantita" nunca vi, mas pode rolar. "Jantica", se alguém falar, vou dizer que é pra depreciar.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-22, 4:45

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:I'm not going to start anything for Japanese

:doggy:

I meant until I finished everything that's due for the first two weeks of class. Or basically, until I catch up in class. I'm not planning to halt my TAC until the semester is done.

But after a couple of days of sleeping all day due to depression and such, I'm now thinking about dropping the ASL class! :shock: :cry: I'll have to wait until Tuesday since tomorrow (well, technically, today) is a holiday for us. It sucks because I was really looking forward to learning ASL. But perhaps it's better to focus on the trauma care, even if that means for the time being I can only take one class at school.

I still have a few things to do for my French class, so those are going to be priority for me this week. Once I have them done, I'll look at what I can do for Japanese.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”