TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2017 dEhiN

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-06-08, 16:19

dEhiN wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] se louer to rent
Just to clarify, se louer only translates the middle voice usage of "to rent" (i.e. "This apartment rents for $800 a month.")

Merci pour l'explication. Je n'étais pas sûr de la différence entre louer et se louer.
Sure thing. :) I did a bit of research, and there were a couple other things I thought were relevant. First, the cost following se louer doesn't take a preposition like in English. So the example sentence I gave would become "Cet appartement se loue 800 $ par mois." Second, se louer can also translate the active usage of "to rent", but that's an extension of using the dative with a benefactive meaning. "Il s'est loué une voiture" could translate as "He rented himself a car" or "He rented a car for himself".

dEhiN wrote:I need to get more comfortable with voilà; I understand it when I see or hear it, but it's not part of my regular French vocabulary.
Yes, do so. It's one of the normal ways of pointing something out.

dEhiN wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] un siège seat
Also "headquarters".

Merci. Peut-il signifier « seat » dans un sens littéral, comme « il y a douze sièges dans cette salle de classe » ?
Oui

dEhiN wrote:Wouldn't "the least" be the superlative of "a bit", while "the smallest" the superlative of "little"?
You've already reached the same overall conclusion as I have; I just want to point out "the least" is ambiguous. Wiktionary is using it as an adjective, in which case it's the superlative of "little". Likewise, "moindre" is solely adjectival. Otherwise, you are right that as an adverb "the least" is the superlative of "a bit".
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-08, 17:17

Totally random, but everytime I look at your signature and see the Columbian flag this goes through my head:
"Hey, he's interested in Lithuanian too!"
"Wait, I know he said he's learning Spanish, and has never said anything about Lithuanian."
"Fuck, that's the flag of Columbia, nevemind...."
:silly:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-09, 20:46

księżycowy wrote:Totally random, but everytime I look at your signature and see the Columbian flag this goes through my head:
"Hey, he's interested in Lithuanian too!"
"Wait, I know he said he's learning Spanish, and has never said anything about Lithuanian."
"Fuck, that's the flag of Columbia, nevemind...."
:silly:

Having troubles distinguishing green from blue? :P

I actually am interested in Lithuanian; have wanted to learn both Lithuanian and Latvian for a while. Or at least learn some stuff in it. I just haven't gotten around to doing it; I have a few words written out in one my language notebooks for I believe it's Lithuanian.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-09, 21:32

dEhiN wrote:Having troubles distinguishing green from blue? :P

You have to admit, the flags are very similar. :P

I actually am interested in Lithuanian; have wanted to learn both Lithuanian and Latvian for a while. Or at least learn some stuff in it. I just haven't gotten around to doing it; I have a few words written out in one my language notebooks for I believe it's Lithuanian.

Oh sure! Now you say that! :lol:

That's cool though, in all seriousness. Hopefully some day we'll both get around to learning some. Both Lithuanian and Latvian are on my "wishlist."

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-09, 21:35

Quick update:

I posted this on another thread already, but I'm adding it here as well. So I started taking Tamil lessons from a woman from Tamil Nadu. We're doing 2 lessons per week and we started this past week. For the first 2 lessons she taught me a bunch of words and most of them were new, so I was quite glad. Whenever I ask her for the spelling, she uses romanisation, which I used to get annoyed and frustrated by. But she suggested I used Google Translate to figure out the spelling in Tamil, which is what I'm doing.

I'm still going through and writing out all the vocab in Tamil - I've done it for lesson 1 and still need to for lesson 2. I'm continuing to use Anki to help learn all these new words in both this Tamil "course" and the French one. But instead of throwing all the words into one big deck, I'm taking a page from Michael's book and using separate decks for each course. I also started using a task and project management app called Todoist, and I'm finding it very helpful in organizing all the things I need or want to do for both the French course and these Tamil lessons.

I want to post the vocabulary here, so I'll try to do that early next week. As I mentioned once before in a discussion about Tamil, I'm still a little worried about my teacher speaking Indian Tamil and my family being Sri Lankan Tamil. However, I remember someone on here pointing out that it's not that big a deal to learn IT forms, and so I'm not worrying about it as much. I also contacted an uncle in SL who is very good in Tamil, and asked him if I could email him questions I have as well as the words I learn to see if SLT uses a different word.

Overall I don't feel like my language learning is haphazard any more. I've put other languages temporarily on hold for now. I hope to, in the future, apply the same structured approach I'm currently taking with French and Tamil to other languages. That way I could perhaps go through completely the various language books I have.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-09, 21:37

księżycowy wrote:Both Lithuanian and Latvian are on my "wishlist."

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sorry, the word "wishlist" just reminded me of how, a few years ago, I was at a breakfast diner and I started writing out a list of all the languages I wanted to eventually learn. So basically a wishlist. And I came up with 60 languages. (Or maybe it was closer to 70; I don't recall now). :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-09, 21:45

dEhiN wrote: But instead of throwing all the words into one big deck, I'm taking a page from Michael's book and using separate decks for each course.

I do that too.

I also started using a task and project management app called Todoist, and I'm finding it very helpful in organizing all the things I need or want to do for both the French course and these Tamil lessons.

How do you use this exactly?

Overall I don't feel like my language learning is haphazard any more. [...] I hope to, in the future, apply the same structured approach I'm currently taking with French and Tamil to other languages. That way I could perhaps go through completely the various language books I have.

That's a good goal to shoot for. It is important to have a structured approach. I know mine approach isn't always the most structured and can thus stall from time to time.

It's all about perseverance. がんばって!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-09, 21:47

dEhiN wrote: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sorry, the word "wishlist" just reminded me of how, a few years ago, I was at a breakfast diner and I started writing out a list of all the languages I wanted to eventually learn. So basically a wishlist. And I came up with 60 languages. (Or maybe it was closer to 70; I don't recall now). :D

I did the same thing a few years ago. And I had a big enough list myself. I don't remember the exact number, but I would guess at least 30 or 40. So, not quite as many as you. :P

I have downsized it quite a bit sense then. :lol: Not that I don't get the random urge to add one (or more like a few) back on the list. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-13, 15:20

I had a mini epiphany yesterday about language levels and how to rate ones ability in a language. My epiphany was that there's a difference between being able to use a language (speak, listen, read, write) in a general sense, and being able to use a language without making any mistakes. And I've focused on the mistakes or lack of as the indicator for how well I know a language.

I was at a career counsellor appointment yesterday, and when I mentioned about how I am an ESL Tutor currently but my goals are to get into language teaching/interpretation/translation, the counsellor naturally asked me what languages I know. I gave her my standard response, which is, "French, Spanish and Portuguese". She asked me how well I know them and I said that my French is at an intermediate level. That got me thinking later about whether I would classify my French as low intermediate or high intermediate. A little while back, I changed my signature to say that my French is at B1 instead of B2. But that was because I still make mistakes that, in my mind, are basic ones, such as gender agreement, correct usage of verb tenses, etc. And then I had this epiphany, and realized that in many ways, my French is at a high or at least mid intermediate level because of what I can understand and say in French.

Also, maybe I should stop worrying so much about language levels, but I feel like it's important when you want to use it for work and you say to people such as potential employers "I speak/know language X".

Estrella

Postby Estrella » 2017-06-13, 17:52

Just to complicate things more, you could be at an advanced level when reading, at an intermediate level when writing and at a beginner level when speaking. :para:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-13, 17:58

Estrella wrote:Just to complicate things more, you could be at an advanced level when reading, at an intermediate level when writing and at a beginner level when speaking. :para:

Oui, t'as raison. Mais dans ce cas, habituellement je parlerais de mon niveau de parler* et de lire*.

*I'm not sure whether "de" is the right preposition, or if I should use "à". In English I would use the gerund: my level in speaking and reading. But can the same be done in French: mon niveau en parlant et en lisant?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-13, 18:01

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] la mise en bouteille bottled

Slight correction: the noun la mise en bouteille translates to "bottling", not bottled. Bottled would, of course, be the past participle of the verb to bottle, which in French you would also say as mise en bouteille.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2017-06-13, 19:58

dEhiN wrote:
Estrella wrote:Just to complicate things more, you could be at an advanced level when reading, at an intermediate level when writing and at a beginner level when speaking. :para:

Oui, t'as raison. Mais dans ce cas, habituellement je parlerais de mon niveau de parler* et de lire*.

*I'm not sure whether "de" is the right preposition, or if I should use "à". In English I would use the gerund: my level in speaking and reading. But can the same be done in French: mon niveau en parlant et en lisant?

People may laugh at English-speakers sometimes for, supposedly, being incompetent at learning foreign languages, but if one thing is true in this world is that English is excellent for talking about your competence in foreign languages, with established expressions for about everything. :P You probably already know about the problems of translating "fluent" and "fluently" into idiomatic Spanish.

You see, in French the idiomatic expression is mon niveau à l'oral et à l'écrit, without distinguishing comprehension from production... And it seems niveau à faire is not something people normally say.

Perhaps you could use: Mais dans ce cas, habituellement je parlerais de mon habileté à parler et à lire ces langues.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-13, 23:40

Serafín wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

People may laugh at English-speakers sometimes for, supposedly, being incompetent at learning foreign languages, but if one thing is true in this world is that English is excellent for talking about your competence in foreign languages, with established expressions for about everything. :P You probably already know about the problems of translating "fluent" and "fluently" into idiomatic Spanish.

Except that all those English expressions are also semantically vague, which might even be part of the reason why they're so hard to translate. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-17, 9:54

Serafín wrote:You probably already know about the problems of translating "fluent" and "fluently" into idiomatic Spanish

What problems? I know for fluently I would say yo hablo inglés fluidamente, but if I'm not mistaken, I can also say something like yo conozco inglés fluidamente while in French the equivalent couramment only works with parler.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-17, 10:26

[flag=]fr[/flag] Voici le nouveau vocabulaire de la séance 4 :
[flag=]en-ca[/flag] Here's the new vocabulary from class #4:

[flag=]fr[/flag] une tendance fad
[flag=]fr[/flag] un benjamin the last/youngest child (in a family)
[flag=]fr[/flag] une croisière cruise ship
[flag=]fr[/flag] un bateau boat
[flag=]fr[/flag] un fleuve river
[flag=]fr[/flag] un petit bateau de fleuve riverboat
[flag=]fr[/flag] une remise discount
[flag=]fr[/flag] une cueillette de fruits fruit-picking
[flag=]fr[/flag] cueillir to pick
[flag=]fr[/flag] une centre de villègiature resort
[flag=]fr[/flag] une entreprise; une société; une compagnie; une boîte (fam.); une firm [=petite entreprise non-industrielle] company; business
[flag=]fr[/flag] une dictionnaire des synonymes thesaurus
[flag=]fr[/flag] un entretien conversation; dialogue; interview
[flag=]fr[/flag] un indice index; informant (fam.)
[flag=]fr[/flag] une taupe mole; informant (fam.)
[flag=]fr[/flag] un flic cop
[flag=]fr[/flag] envers reverse; inverse; back/other side
[flag=]fr[/flag] une meuf woman (verlan form of "femme")
[flag=]fr[/flag] un beur (verlan form of "Arabe")
[flag=]fr[/flag] une charcuterie deli
[flag=]fr[/flag] un jambon cru proscuitto
[flag=]fr[/flag] exacerber to exacerbate
[flag=]fr[/flag] rendre quelque chose pire to make something worse
[flag=]fr[/flag] un mensonge lie
[flag=]fr[/flag] une répétition rehearsal; repetition
[flag=]fr[/flag] un congé (from work) leave; time-off; absence; vacation
[flag=]fr[/flag] aller-simple one-way
[flag=]fr[/flag] aller-retour two-way; return
[flag=]fr[/flag] une escale stopover
[flag=]fr[/flag] un domaine field (of study/work); domain
[flag=]fr[/flag] terre à terre down to earth
[flag=]fr[/flag] je saurai / tu sauras / il;elle;on saura / nous saurons / vous saurez / ils;elles sauront (the simple future of "savoir")
[flag=]fr[/flag] lorsque; une fois que once; when (adv.)
[flag=]fr[/flag] aussitôt que; dès que as soon as (adv.)
[flag=]fr[/flag] tant que; aussi longtemps que as long as (adv.)
[flag=]fr[/flag] je viendrai / tu viendras / il;elle;on viendra / nous viendrons / vous viendrez / ils;elles viendront (the simple future of "venir")
[flag=]fr[/flag] les échecs chess
[flag=]fr[/flag] un échec failure; check (move in chess)
[flag=]fr[/flag] convenir de to admit (to); to agree (to)
[flag=]fr[/flag] convenir à to suit; to be convenient (for)
[flag=]fr[/flag] poliment politely
[flag=]fr[/flag] je verrai / tu verras / il;elle;on verra / nous verrons / vous verrez / ils;elles verront (the simple future of "voir")
[flag=]fr[/flag] je ferai / tu feras / il;elle;on fera / nous ferons / vous ferez / ils;elles feront (the simple future of "faire")
[flag=]fr[/flag] j'irai / tu iras / il;elle;on ira / nous irons / vous irez / ils;elles iront (the simple future of "aller")
[flag=]fr[/flag] (il) faut / fallait / fallut / faudra / faudrait / faille / fallût / fallu (3rd sing. conjugations of "falloir": le présent / l'imparfait / le passé simple / le futur simple / le conditionnel / le présent subjonctif / l'imparfait subjonctif / le participe passé)
[flag=]fr[/flag] je pourrai / tu pourras / il;elle;on pourra / nous pourrons / vous pourrez / ils;elles pourront (the simple future of "pouvoir")
[flag=]fr[/flag] je voudrai / tu voudras / il;elle;on voudra / nous voudrons / vous voudrez / ils;elles voudront (the simple future of "vouloir")
[flag=]fr[/flag] je vaudrai / tu vaudras / il;elle;on vaudra / nous vaudrons / vous vaudrez / ils;elles vaudront (the simple future of "valoir")

Notes:
1) We learned the simple future in class #4. I knew the endings already, including for many of the irregular verbs I added to Anki. However, I sometimes forget them (the irregular verb stems), so I added them just in case.
2) For falloir, we only learned the simple future in class; I created a card with all the forms since falloir is only ever conjugated for the 3rd person.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-17, 10:56

dEhiN wrote:So I started taking Tamil lessons from a woman from Tamil Nadu. We're doing 2 lessons per week and we started this past week.

So those lessons lasted only a week! :( Unfortunately the time difference of 9.5 hours and her availability of only between 11 am and 5 pm (India Time) made it difficult to continue the lessons. Last week, when we started, it wasn't so bad because I found myself still having a messed up sleeping schedule. But starting last week Thursday I have tried to really change that, and have been able to go for a week where I was going to sleep between 10 pm and 12 am, and waking up between 6 am and 8 am. (Unfortunately yesterday, Friday, I slept all day which meant I've been up all Friday night. But, still, one day like that is better than it's been in the past few weeks). Anyway, so basically my trying to change my sleep habits meant that the time doesn't work for lessons.

I did manage to write out and add the words from lesson 1 to my Anki; in fact they're all in the review pile now. I haven't gotten around to doing the same for the words from lesson 2. But here are the words from lesson 1 (for anyone interested in Tamil):

[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] படி study [verb root]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] எவ்வளவு? how much?
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] எத்தனை? how many?
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] நான் I
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] நீ you [nom. sing. cas.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] அவன் / இவன் he [far/near distinction]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] அவள் / இவள் she [far/near distinction]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] அது it [far]; that
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] இது it [near]; this
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] அவர் / இவர் he; she [pol.; far/near distinction]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] நாம் we (listener included)
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] நாங்கள் we (listener not included)
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] நீங்கள் you [nom. sing. pol.; nom. pl.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] அவர்கள் / இவர்கள் they [pol.; far/near distinction]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] அவை those
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] இவை these
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] அவைகள் / இவைகள் they [far/near distinction]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] யார்? who?
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] என்ன? what?
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] எங்கே? where?
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] எப்படி? how?
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] ஏன்? why?
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] எப்பொழுது? when?
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] என்னை me [acc.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] எனக்கு to/for me [dat.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] என்னிடமிருந்து from me [abl.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] என்னிடம் on me [loc.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] என்னுடன் with me [inst.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] என்னுடைய my [gen.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உன்னை you [acc. sing. cas.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உனக்கு to/for you [dat. sing. cas.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உன்னிடமிருந்து from you [abl. sing. cas.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உன்னுடன் with you [inst. sing. cas.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உன்னுடைய your [gen. sing. cas.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உன்னிடம் on you [loc. sing. cas.]
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] என்றால் means
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] அவசியம் essential
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] பொருள் item; object; thing
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] பொருட்கள் items; objects; things
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] மீன் fish
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] சோறு rice
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] கோழி chicken
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உப்பு salt
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] சாப்பாடு food; meal
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] காய்கறி; மரக்கறி vegetable
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] பழம் fruit
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] பழங்கள் fruits
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] இறைச்சி; மாமிசம் meat
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] எண்ணெய் oil
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] வெண்ணெய் butter
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] முட்டை egg
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] நெருப்பு; தீ fire
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உறுப்பு body part; organ; element
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] வயிறு; பண்டி stomach
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] தலை head
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] கால் leg; foot
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] வாய் mouth
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] மூக்கு nose
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உடல் body
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] காது ear
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] கண் eye
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] மூடி lid; cap
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] முடி hair
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] கை hand
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] பாதம் foot
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] விரல் finger
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] பல் tooth
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உணர்வு feeling
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] சந்தோசம் happy; happiness
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] கிறுகிறுப்பு dizzy
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] வலி pain; ache
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] பசி hungry; hunger
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] கோபம் angry; anger
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] துன்பம் agony; sorrow; suffering
[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] வருத்தம் sorry; sad; repentance

Notes:
1) Some words, like அது and இது, I actually have as cards already in the existing deck of Tamil words. You might recognize them from posting them on my TAC back in February or so. I added them again because I was trying to highlight the fact that Tamil distinguishes between far and near through the use of அ/இ [a/i]: /aʋən/ vs /iʋən/ for "he", /aʋəɭ/ vs /iʋəɭ/ for "she", etc. In the existing cards, I basically contrasted அது /ad̪u/ "that (demonstrative pronoun)" and அந்த /an̪d̪ə/ "that (demonstrative adjective)". I did the same for இது and இந்த. However, I guess அது can be analysed as both "that" and "it (far)", while இது can be analysed as both "this" and "it (near)". Of course in English there's really no semantic difference between this vs it or that vs it.

2) So, according to the Learn Tamil Language FB group I'm on, அவைகள் is grammatically redundant because it's basically அவை "those", which is itself the plural form of அது "that", plus the plural suffix -கள். However, I know that in SL Tamil, we say something like /aʋɛijəɭ/ for "they". I used to just think that was the spoken SL Tamil way of saying அவர்கள், which if read as it's written would be /aʋəɾgəɭ/. But Google Translate does translate அவைகள் as "they" instead of as "those". So now I'm not sure if SL Tamil (either spoken or written or both) uses a different 3rd person animate plural nominative pronoun.

3) I always thought it was cool that Tamil has a single interrogative word for "how many" and for "how much".

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2017-06-17, 19:38

dEhiN wrote:
JackFrost wrote:
dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] une tata aunt (familiar)

Whoa. Just don't say that here or anywhere in Canada. It means "an idiot".

Thanks; that's good to know.

When I restarted learning French back in 2011, I focused on France French to the exclusion of Canadian French. But now I'm starting to learn Canadian French since I live in Canada. I still find myself instinctively choosing France French terms and phrases over Canadian ones, but hopefully that'll change over time..

It's more like people will see you under a better light. When they see you're Canadian learning French in Canada and how you speak it is very European, you can risk being deemed as snobby and clueless. It's true we look at our cousins as a model for a few things, but we're too proud of our differences and uniqueness, so some European traits and words aren't really well regarded or non-existential in Canada.

Anyway, the Canadian equivalent for une tata is "une matante". Yes, a combination of "ma tante", and yes, we do say "ma matante". As well as "un mononcle" and "mon mononcle". :P
Neferuj paħujkij!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-17, 19:49

JackFrost wrote:It's more like people will see you under a better light. When they see you're Canadian learning French in Canada and how you speak it is very European, you can risk being deemed as snobby and clueless. It's true we look at our cousins as a model for a few things, but we're too proud of our differences and uniqueness, so some European traits and words aren't really well regarded or non-existential in Canada.

C'est bon à savoir !

Anyway, the Canadian equivalent for une tata is "une matante". Yes, a combination of "ma tante", and yes, we do say "ma matante". As well as "un mononcle" and "mon mononcle". :P

On dit mon tonton au Canada aussi ou seulement mon mononcle ?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-06-18, 1:18

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] une croisière cruise ship
Croisière means "cruise". A cruise ship can be called un bateau de croisière or un paquebot.

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] un fleuve river
French has a distinction here that English doesn't. Un fleuve is a river that flows into an ocean or sea, like the Seine or the Mississippi or most major world rivers. A river that doesn't reach the ocean is called une rivière. For example, any of the tributaries of a fleuve is a rivière.

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] un centre de villégiature resort
[flag=]fr[/flag] une entreprise; une société; une compagnie; une boîte (fam.); une firme [=petite entreprise non-industrielle] company; business
[flag=]fr[/flag] un dictionnaire des synonymes thesaurus

[flag=]fr[/flag] un indice index; informant (fam.)
An informant is actually un indic, shortened from un indicateur. As for indice, it can also mean "clue".

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] convenir de to admit (to); to agree (to)
Ooo! A new construction for me. :D

EDIT: Accidentally deleted this from my original post:

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] une répétition rehearsal; repetition
You can also shorten this to une répète in informal speech.
Last edited by Dormouse559 on 2017-06-18, 4:02, edited 1 time in total.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”