TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2017 dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-26, 6:10

Some corrections:

(ta-lk) சிரிப்பு laughter; laugh

(ta-lk) அழகை அழு cry [verb root]

(ta-lk) வெய்யில் sun; sunlight

(ta-lk) கூக்குரல் cry [noun] shout; outcry; uproar; clamour
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-08-19, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-26, 18:25

These are the new words I've added to Anki over the past 5 days:

(fr) rater to miss
(fr) un souci worry
(fr) amener to bring
(fr) plâtrer to plaster; to render
(fr) un plâtre plaster (of Paris); cast
(fr) plâtré/plâtrée/plâtrés/plâtrées plastered (can be used to say something is in a cast) [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]

(pt-br) o orgulho pride
(pt-br) compartilhar to share; to post/share on the Internet

(ta-lk) நான்கு four
(ta-lk) நூறு (one) hundred
(ta-lk) அறுபது sixty
(ta-lk) எழுபது seventy
(ta-lk) எண்பது eighty
(ta-lk) தொண்ணூறு ninety
(ta-lk) மெதுவாக slow
(ta-lk) வேகமாக fast
(ta-lk) சாப்பிடு eat [verb root]
(ta-lk) நில் stand; stop; wait [verb root]
(ta-lk) உட்கார் sit [verb root]

The first 3 French ones I learned in my course, during class #6. There are quite a few other words/phrases I learned in class #6, but I haven't added them to Anki yet. I also have to add all the vocabulary from chapter 14 of our textbook; we've been working through chapter 14 for the past 3 sessions, but I haven't gotten around to adding in the new vocabulary to Anki.

The Tamil words are the last of what I had learned from my Tamil teacher.

So I use Todoist to manage my daily and weekly tasks. And I have created projects for each language I'm studying. I also try to write a task for a particular language project in that language, if possible. So I had written the following two tasks, one in French, and one in Portuguese. I'd appreciate any corrections. Merci d'avance / Obrigado em avançado.

(fr) Poster les nouveaux mots que j'ai ajouté à Anki sur mon TAC
(pt-br) Compartilhar as novas palavras que eu adicionei a Anki em meu TAC
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-08-19, 17:32, edited 2 times in total.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-26, 21:55

dEhiN wrote:Obrigado desde já.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-26, 22:44

Osias wrote:

Haha, so my thanks had an error in it, but not the sentence I was seeking corrections for?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-06-26, 22:58

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] Poster les nouveaux mots que j'ai ajoutés à Anki sur mon TAC
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-26, 23:02

Dormouse559 wrote:
dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] Poster les nouveaux mots que j'ai ajoutés à Anki sur mon TAC

I thought agreement with passé composé only happens with être? At least that's what my prof told us.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-06-26, 23:35

dEhiN wrote:I thought agreement with passé composé only happens with être? At least that's what my prof told us.
No, your professor was probably simplifying for the time being. In passé composé, as you know, the past participle agrees with the subject when the auxiliary verb is être. However, when the auxiliary is avoir, the past participle agrees with the direct object, if a pronoun representing that object precedes the verb. In your sentence, that pronoun was que, replacing les nouveaux mots. Non-relative pronouns also fit this condition (Les nouveaux mots ? Je les ai ajoutés à Anki).

Reflexive constructions, which also use être, split the difference between the two conditions I described above. The past participle by default agrees with the subject. But if there is a direct object that is not the same as the subject, the participle uses the same rules as if the auxiliary were avoir, i.e. it takes no agreement unless a pronoun representing that direct object precedes the verb. Here are some example sentences:

Elle s'est blessée. - She injured herself. (subject, direct object are the same; agreement with subject)

Elle s'est blessé les doigts. - She injured her fingers. (different direct object, following verb; no agreement)

Elle se les est blessés. - She injured them [her fingers]. (different direct object, pronoun before verb; agreement with direct object)

► Show Spoiler

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-27, 1:35

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:

Haha, so my thanks had an error in it, but not the sentence I was seeking corrections for?

Isso vive acontecendo neste fórum.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-01, 6:20

J'ai une question de français :

Est-ce correct « tu m'as aidé à commencer me l'apercevoir » ? Je connais qu'on dit « commencer à faire quelque chose » comme « j'ai commencé à me l'apercevoir » . Mais je ne connais pas comment à enchaîner trois verbes quand le premier verbe est conjugué et « commencer » est le deuxième verbe ? En anglais je veux dire « you helped me begin to see/realize it » .

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-07-01, 20:03

dEhiN wrote:J'ai une question de français :

Est-ce correct « tu m'as aidé à commencer me l'apercevoir » ? Je connais qu'on dit « commencer à faire quelque chose » comme « j'ai commencé à me l'apercevoir » . Mais je ne connais pas comment à enchaîner trois verbes quand le premier verbe est conjugué et « commencer » est le deuxième verbe ? En anglais je veux dire « you helped me begin to see/realize it » .
La préposition qu'on utilise entre deux verbes est toujours décidée par le premier verbe. Comme tu l'as indiqué, on dit « commencer à » devant un verbe et c'est vrai dans tous les cas. De plus, on dit « s'apercevoir de qqch », alors tu dois utiliser « en » au lieu de « le » comme pronom d'objet. La phrase complète devient « Tu m'as aidé à commencer à m'en apercevoir ».

Cette phrase est grammaticalement correcte, mais je ne suis pas sûr que ça marche au niveau de style. Bien qu'une série de trois verbes plaise beaucoup à l'oreille anglophone, je ne sais pas si ça fait le même effet à l'oreille francophone. Peut-être qu'on dirait plutôt « Avec ton aide, j'ai commencé à m'en apercevoir ».

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-10, 5:29

Quick update:

Last week was pretty tough for me; I gave into some old habits early on in the week and that threw me off for the rest of the week. Unfortunately I missed my French class on Saturday, essentially due to the cascading effect of what happened earlier in the week. As a result, I don't have any new words from session/class #8. However, I did manage to add quite a few new vocabulary words to Anki, across several decks. This included all the vocabulary words from chapter 14, even though we basically did chapter 14 over June and actually started chapter 15 this past Saturday. Oh well, c'est la vie! As soon as I get some time, I'm going to post all the new vocabulary on here.

As I shared in this thread, Meera and I decided to stop doing Hawaiian and start doing Swedish. As I'm going through each skill, I'm trying to write down the new words in my notebook and add it to Anki. But I'm also trying to write out (in both) all the various forms of the word in question, when it's a noun or adjective. This might be overkill and it does make things slow-going, but I prefer it for now.

My French class has an oral presentation and essay that are both due sometime in the beginning of August. I have picked a topic for both of them: the history of Quebec City (in French: l'histoire de la ville de Québec). But I haven't started doing any research, so I'm hoping to catch up on my French classwork this week, and then perhaps this week or next week start on the research. Our prof wants us to do the oral presentation in French, but the essay can be in either language. However if it's in English it needs to be 750 words, but if it's in French only 500 words. Naturally i'm going to try and write it in French since it gives me the chance to practice my writing. I'm going to also try and do the research in French; we'll see how that goes! If I get the essay done early enough, perhaps I can post it here and hopefully get some proofreading and feedback from all of you who are more advanced than me. :D

One last thing: I might be starting up Tamil lessons again, but this time with a Sri Lankan Tamil teacher here in Toronto. There's a little bit of a story attached to it, which, if anyone reading my TAC is interested in hearing, I can post it here. But right now I'm tired, it's 01:28 and I need to proof an ESL client's writing before I get some zzz's.

Estrella

Postby Estrella » 2017-07-11, 20:32

dEhiN wrote:My French class has an oral presentation and essay that are both due sometime in the beginning of August. I have picked a topic for both of them: the history of Quebec City (in French: l'histoire de la ville de Québec). But I haven't started doing any research, so I'm hoping to catch up on my French classwork this week, and then perhaps this week or next week start on the research. Our prof wants us to do the oral presentation in French, but the essay can be in either language. However if it's in English it needs to be 750 words, but if it's in French only 500 words. Naturally i'm going to try and write it in French since it gives me the chance to practice my writing. I'm going to also try and do the research in French; we'll see how that goes! If I get the essay done early enough, perhaps I can post it here and hopefully get some proofreading and feedback from all of you who are more advanced than me. :D

Tu as de la chance, il y a justement une section "histoire" sur le site web de la ville de Québec : https://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/touriste ... index.aspx

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-11, 20:45

Estrella wrote:Tu as de la chance, il y a justement une section "histoire" sur le site web de la ville de Québec : https://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/touriste ... index.aspx

Merci beaucoup Estrella ! Je n'ai pas encore commencé à faire la recherche mais maintenant j'ai une ressource.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-12, 15:44

(pt-br) Eu preciso diminuir meu nivel em português do B1 a A2. Estou muito triste. :( Mas eu acho* que não posso ler o mesmo como eu costumava.

*Achar é o verbo correto?

(en-ca) I have to drop my level in Portuguese from B1 to A2 because I find that I can't read the same as I used to. It makes me very sad. :(
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-08-19, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-07-13, 5:43

dEhiN wrote:If I get the essay done early enough, perhaps I can post it here and hopefully get some proofreading and feedback from all of you who are more advanced than me. :D
Gah! I saw this awhile ago but didn't respond for some reason. I hope we get to see the essay one way or another. I don't know much about Quebec history.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-07-13, 22:31

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]pt-br[/flag] Eu preciso diminuir meu nivel em português do B1 a A2. Estou muito triste. :( Mas eu acho* que não posso ler o mesmo que eu costumava.

*Achar é o verbo correto?

Sim, mas eu usaria "consigo" ao invés de "posso", por uma distinção entre capacidade e permissão.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-14, 12:32

Dormouse559 wrote:
dEhiN wrote:If I get the essay done early enough, perhaps I can post it here and hopefully get some proofreading and feedback from all of you who are more advanced than me. :D
Gah! I saw this awhile ago but didn't respond for some reason. I hope we get to see the essay one way or another. I don't know much about Quebec history.

Don't worry, I haven't started it yet. The essay is due on Aug 12, in about 5 weeks. The presentation is either due on Jul 29 or Aug 12 (the Saturday in between is a holiday in Ontario or Canada, so there's no class); here's hoping I can present on Aug 12 and have 5 weeks to do the research, and write the essay and the presentation!

Osias wrote:Sim, mas eu usaria "consigo" ao invés de "posso", por uma distinção entre capacidade e permissão.

Obrigado. Pensei que conseguir significa "to follow".

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-07-14, 14:32

dEhiN wrote:Obrigado. Pensei que conseguir significa "to follow".

Lo has confundido con el verbo seguir (to follow, or to keep doing sth). Conseguir (to achieve, manage to do sth) es un sinónimo de lograr en castellano (y portugués).

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-07-14, 19:41

E raríssimo em português, acho que só ouvi em hinos batistas antigaços.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-17, 2:11

Saim wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Obrigado. Pensei que conseguir significa "to follow".

Lo has confundido con el verbo seguir (to follow, or to keep doing sth). Conseguir (to achieve, manage to do sth) es un sinónimo de lograr en castellano (y portugués).

¡Gracias!

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”