TAC 2017 - Mike (Albanian, Old English)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2017 - Mike - Iranian Turkish (‘Azerbaijani’) [+Anatolian Turkish], Portuguese, Albanian

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-13, 19:54

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Why did you write "por que" and not "por quê"? I thought you use the accent when "why" is at the beginning of the sentence? I follow the same rule for "o que / o quê".

No, you use the accent when que is at the end of a sentence.

Valeu!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2017 - Mike - Iranian Turkish (‘Azerbaijani’) [+Anatolian Turkish], Portuguese, Albanian

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-13, 19:56

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Why did you write "por que" and not "por quê"? I thought you use the accent when "why" is at the beginning of the sentence? I follow the same rule for "o que / o quê".

No, you use the accent when que is at the end of a sentence.

Valeu!

De nada! :)

Osias

Re: TAC 2017 - Mike - Azerbaijani [+Turkish], Albanian, MSA

Postby Osias » 2017-01-13, 21:15

Parece que em Portugal é o contrário do Brasil: acento no começo. Não sei se a recente reforma ortográfica fez alguma coisa...
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-01-19, 4:50

[flag=]az[/flag] Dörd gün keçdikdən sonra (Memrise-dən bir ifadə tutanda) «bağçayı ıslatmadığıma görə» bu iş oldu:

[flag=]en[/flag] This is what happens when I don't "water the garden" (to take an idiom from Memrise) for four days:

American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-19, 11:50

Michael wrote:[flag=]az[/flag] Dörd gün keçdikdən sonra (Memrise-dən bir ifadə tutanda) «bağçayı ıslatmadığıma görə» bu iş oldu:

[flag=]en[/flag] This is what happens when I don't "water the garden" (to take an idiom from Memrise) for four days:

[flag=]en[/flag]Lol, and I thought that 200-250 cards was a lot! (That's the most I've ever had to study and review in total).

[flag=]pt-br[/flag]/[flag=]en[/flag] Kkk, e eu achei que 200-250 cartas esteve mais! (Isto é a mais que I've ever had to study and review in total.)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-01-19, 13:10

dEhiN wrote:
[flag=]pt-br[/flag]/[flag=]en[/flag] Kkk, e eu achei que 200-250 cartas era muito! (Isto é o máximo que I've ever had to study and review in total.)
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-19, 13:20

Osias wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
[flag=]pt-br[/flag]/[flag=]en[/flag] Kkk, e eu achei que 200-250 cartas era muito! (Isto é o máximo que I've ever had to study and review in total.)

Obrigado. Como posso terminar esta segunda frase em português?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-19, 13:24

jamais tinha que estudar e revisar em total?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-19, 13:27

vijayjohn wrote:jamais tinha que estudar e revisar em total?

Isto é o máxmio que jamais tinha que estudar e revisar em total? Ou: Isto é o máxmio jamais tinha que estudar e revisar em total?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-19, 13:28

Que jamais tinha

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-01-19, 15:46

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Obrigado. Como posso terminar esta segunda frase em português?

que já tive que estudar e revisar no total.

Eu não sei bem porque esse "ever" virou "já" ao invés de "nunca", "jamais" ou "de todos os tempos". Acho que é porque "o máximo" já contém parte da ideia, e "o máximo que já" é uma expressão pronta (idiom).

Michael

Re: TAC 2017 - Mike - Azerbaijani, Turkish [+Osmanlıca], Hungarian, Portuguese

Postby Michael » 2017-01-19, 22:32

As has been registered in the Edit Log at the bottom of the title post, I've made quite a few important changes to my study plan. I upgraded Turkish to active status. In addition, I've developed an enquenchable thirst for Ottoman Turkish, so I plan on mastering the rules, and the exceptions, of Ottoman orthography, so that I can read [not-too-eloquent] texts with relative ease, starting from those published in the decades during the Yeñi Osmanlıca reforms (which was during the last several decades before the official abdication of the Ottoman monarchy), and also so that I may be able to convert most Azeri and Turkish text into the Ottoman alphabet with as little hesitation or doubt as possible.

I've put Albanian and Modern Standard Arabic on hold for the indefinite future. However, I've given a warm welcome to Hungarian! Being a student of Turkic languages, I must admit, Hungarian is nowhere near as difficult as I used to believe, before I started learning Azeri and Turkish. In fact, its no-nonsense agglutinate morphology makes the language as simple and logical as Turkish (IMHO…)!

And last but not least, I unfroze Brazilian Portuguese after having put it on hold. It will receive the least focus among my TAC languages, but that's simply because I already have a solid understanding of the whole language, which means that I don't need to give it intensive focus anyways. Once I get an opportunity to switch gears to Portuguese later on in the year, I'll go over all material in the Portuguese textbook that I first used to learn the basics 6-7 years ago, then proceed to creating a Memrise deck for one of my other Brazilian Portuguese textbooks. My Portuguese study will be more literature-oriented, but it would be nice if I could get a grasp on Brazilian street language, so I can borrow some of its features and try to apply them in my spoken Portuguese. I will start branching out into European Portuguese once I've hit a confident B2 overall threshold in Brazilian Portuguese.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1

Osias

Re: TAC 2017 - Mike - Azerbaijani, Turkish [+Osmanlıca], Hungarian, Portuguese

Postby Osias » 2017-01-19, 23:32

Oba, mais um que vai continuar TACando!

Michael

TAC 2017 - Mike - Azerbaijani, Turkish, Portuguese

Postby Michael » 2017-01-25, 7:07

Michael

Re: TAC 2017 - Mike - Azerbaijani, Turkish, Portuguese

Postby Michael » 2017-02-07, 3:47

[flag=]az[/flag] Təzə bir kiçik müasirliyi yazım!

Azərî kitabımda çox irəli sürməmişəm, amma o hadisə mənə zəhmət deyil, çünki az qala kitabın sonuna çatasıyam. Yalnız üç vahid artıq çalışılmağa qalıb. Bundan əlavə, axırda bəzi məqalələri tərcümə etmişəm (indicə bildiyiniz kimi).

[ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Flag_of_South_Azerbaijan.svg/320px-Flag_of_South_Azerbaijan.svg.png[/ownflag] تازه بر كوچك معصرلڭی یازیم!

آذری کتابمده چوق ایرلی سورمەمشم، اما او حادثه مڭه زحمت دڭل‌، چونکه آز قالا کتابڭ صوڭیڭه چاتاسیام. یالڭیر اوچ واحد آرطق چالیشلمغه قالوب. بوندن علاوه، آخرده بعضی مقالەلری ترجمه ایتمشم (ایندیجه بیلدیڭڭز کمی).

[flag=]en[/flag] I should write a new little update!

I haven't progressed much in my Azeri book, but that doesn't bother me, because I'm almost at the end of the book. Only 3 units remain to be studied. Aside from that, I've finally been able to translate a few articles (as you already know).

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-02-08, 22:43

[flag=]az[/flag] *zorla nəfəs alır*

Bir saat müddətin bir azından artıq dörd yüz altmış yeddi kartı vurub çıxartdım!

[ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Flag_of_South_Azerbaijan.svg/320px-Flag_of_South_Azerbaijan.svg.png[/ownflag] *زورله نفس آلیر*

بر ساعت مدتڭ بر آزیندن آرطیق درت یوز آلتمیش یدی کارتی ووروب چیقارتدم!

[flag=]en[/flag] *takes a deep breath*

I knocked out 467 cards in a little over an hour!
Last edited by Michael on 2017-03-11, 7:08, edited 1 time in total.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-02-09, 0:30

Damn, that's a serious amount of cards!! :shock:

Also, I'm not positive about this, but I think it should be zorla bir nəfəs :?:
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-02-09, 5:14

eskandar wrote:Damn, that's a serious amount of cards!! :shock:

Also, I'm not positive about this, but I think it should be zorla bir nəfəs :?:

In fact, I initially wrote dərin bir nəfəs…, then changed it to the adverbial equivalent dərinliklə nəfəs aldım because I wasn't sure that I could separate two components of a compound verb. But using dərin here didn't seem idiomatic, so I changed it to a different adverb zorla nəfəs aldım. So in this case, zorla actually functions as an adjective?

Türkî (az) Doqquzuncu (9’cu) Vahidin Çıxarışları (Excerpts from Unit 9)

(My translations are very loose.)

Tapmacalar
  • Axşam gedər, səhər gələr. (Günəş)
  • Yupyumru fincan, içi dolu mərcan. (Nar)
  • Altı dəri, üstü dəri, içində bir ovuc darı. (Əncir)
  • Bir bardaqda iki rəng su. (Yumurta)
  • Həyətdə dağdır, pambıqdan ağdır. Evə gələr, suya dönər. (Qar)

Riddles
  • It leaves by dusk, comes by dawn. (The Sun)
  • A very round cup, its drink full of corals. (A pomegranate)
  • Skin below, skin on top, inside of it a handful of millet. (A fig)
  • Water of two colors in one jug. (An egg)
  • It's a mountain in the courtyard, white of cotton. It comes home, turns to water. (Snow)

Təbriz Cənubi Azərbaycanın ən böyük şəhəri, iqtisadi və mədəni mərkəzdir. Təbriz xalçaları dünyada şöhrət qazanmışdır. Təbriz Azərbaycanın qədim şəhərlərindədir. Şəhər qədim memarlıq abidələri ilə zəngindir. O, özünün orta əsr simasını qoruyub saxlamışdır. Təbriz bazarı şərqin ən qədim bazarlarından biridir. Neçə-neçə məscidlər, mədrəsələr, hamamlar, karvansaralar və yeməkxanalar Təbrizin bazar kompleksinə daxildir. Bunların çoxunun tarixi XI-XII (on birinci on ikinci arası) əsrlərdəndir. Təbriz həm də müasir şəhərdir. Şərq üslubunda tikilmiş yaraşıqlı binalar şəhərə xüsusi gözəllik verir. Təbrizdə universitet, digər təhsil ocaqları, filarmoniya, dram teatrı geniş fəaliyyət göstərir.

Tabriz is the biggest city in South Azerbaijan and an economic and cultural center. The [Persian] carpets of Tabriz have earned worldwide acclaim. Tabriz is among the oldest cities of Azerbaijan. The city is rich with ancient architectural monuments. It has kept and preserved its medieval appearance. Tabriz Bazaar is one of the oldest bazaars of the East. Some few mosques, schools, baths, inns and cafeterias are within the Tabriz Bazaar complex. Much of their history is from the 11th and 12th centuries. Tabriz is also a contemporary city. Beautiful buildings constructed in Eastern style give a special beauty to the city. The universities, other educational institutions, philharmonic, and drama theaters offer a wide variety of activities.

Azərbaycan xalq mahnısı

Araqçının məndədir, ceyran
Sərmişəm çəməndədir, ceyran
Aləm gözələ dönsə, ceyran
Mənim könlüm səndədir, ceyran

Aşiqin çoxdur sənin, çoxdur
Kirpiyin oxdur sənin, oxdur
Dərdindən mən dəliyəm, ceyran
Heç xəbərin yoxdur sənin, ceyran

Sənə mən gül demərəm, ceyran
Gülün ömrü az olar, ceyran
Sənə bülbül deyərəm, ceyran
Bülbül xoşavaz olar, ceyran

Azerbaijani folk song

I have a skull-cap (=type of flower) for you, o gazelle
I picked it in the meadow, o gazelle
May the world become beautiful, o gazelle
You have my heart, o gazelle

Your love is much, much
Your eyelash is an arrow, an arrow
I'm crazy from your pain, o gazelle
There is no news from you, o gazelle

I call you a flower, o gazelle
A flower's life is short, o gazelle
I call you a nightingale, o gazelle
A nightingale sings beautifully, o gazelle

Michael

Re: TAC 2017 - Mike - Greek, Azerbaijani, Turkish, Portuguese

Postby Michael » 2017-02-10, 6:33

Tragedy has struck my Azerbaijani deck! My deck has been corrupted for a few weeks now, so I had to restore from a backup from a month ago, which means all the several hundreds of card reviews I've done between then and now are purged from the record. This is slightly demotivating, but on the bright side, I'm going to make sure to only allow 100 reviews per day max, so as not to get overwhelmed and put off reviewing the vocabulary. Plus, I get a chance at really consolidating all of the vocab from Units 1 through 9.

However, Turkic languages will be put on second tier, since I've decided to brush up on my rusty Greek, which is more of a priority for me. I have a lot of books I bought back in Greece that have remained unread because I've been neglecting my Greek ever since I returned from there after a three-week stay in Summer 2013.

Michael

Re: TAC 2017 - Mike - Greek, Azerbaijani, Turkish, Portuguese

Postby Michael » 2017-02-11, 13:03

[flag=]az[/flag] Normal olaraq türk dili forumunda olan müzakirəmdə məqalə tərcümə elədiklərimi nəşr edirdim, amma o forumun olduqca hərəkətsiz olduğu kimi, bura TAC forumunda xüsusilə bu məqalənin tərcüməsini nəşr edərəm. Biləcəkcə "idiomatik" tərzində tərcümə etməyə də sınayaram.

[flag=]en[/flag] I would normally post my article translations on my topic in the Turkish forum, but I would like to post this particular article's translation right here on the TAC forum since that forum is quite inactive. I will also attempt to translate as idiomatically as I can.

Əliyevsiz gün, "Düşüncəsiz hərəkət", Trump qadağasına qadağa - həftə 5 fotoda (10 Fevral 2017 nəşr etmiş)
A day without Aliyev, "An irresponsible decision", the ban on Trump's ban - the week in 5 photos (published on 10 Feb 2017)

Keçdiyimiz həftə ən yadda qalan hadisələr hansılar oldu? Baş verənləri 5 fotonun diliylə :?: izləyin.
What were the most memorable events during our past week? Follow up on what's happened, with these 5 photos.

1. Rusiya və İsrail vətəndaşı bloqçu dövlət əleyhinə[1] yönələn[2] açıq çağırışlar və Azərbaycan sərhədini qanunsuz olaraq keçmə maddələri ilə təqsirləndirilən[3] bloqçu Aleksandr Lapşin Belarusdan xüsusi təyyarə ilə Azərbaycana ekstradisiya edilib.
1. Russian and Israeli citizen, blogger of the trending[2] open calls for action against[1] the state, and blogger being blamed[3] for crossing the Azerbaijani border with illegal items Aleksandr Lapshin has been extradited to Azerbaijan on a private plane.
1. əleyhinə | علیهینه -Ø+prep. against
2. yönəlmək | یونلمك to trend, make for
3. təqsirləndirmək | تقصیرلندیرمك to blame, accuse

Bloqçu Aleksandr Lapşinin anası Bella Lapşin oğlunun bu dəfə "düşüncəsiz hərəkət" etdiyini, lakin ümumiyyətlə "heç vaxt həbslə nəticələnəcək hərəkətə yol verməyən insan" olduğunu deyib.
Blogger Aleksandr Lapshin's mother Bella Lapshin said this time that he made an "irresponsible decision", but that generally he was the type of person who would never do anything that would make him end up in jail.

Bloqçu Rusiya və İsrail vətəndaşıdır.
The blogger is a citizen of Russia and Israel.

→ Artıq İraq, Suriya, İran, Liviya, Somali, Sudan və Yəməndən olan viza sahibləri ABŞ-a daxil ola biləcəklər
→ Most of those who hold visas from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen will be able to enter the United States.

2. ABŞ-da Apellyasiya məhkəməsi yeni prezident Donald Trump-ın, əhalisinin çoxu müsəlman olan 7 ölkədən gələn qonaq və qaçqınlara şamil edilən[4] səyahət qadağası barədə sərəncamını[5] bərpa[6] etməkdən imtina[7] edib.
2. The US Court of Appeals refused[7] to renew[6] new president Donald Trump's request[5] for a travel ban affecting[4] most of his country's Muslim guests and migrants who come from 7 countries.
4. şamil etmək | شامل ایتمك to affect, concern
5. sərəncam | سرانجام decree, injunction, ordinance
6. bərpa | برپا renovation, renewal, refurbishment
7. imtina | امتناع refusal, rejection, renunciation

Donald Trump səyahət qadağası ilə bağlı sərəncamı yanvarın 25-də imzalayıb və bundan sonra ABŞ və xarici hava limanlarında qarışıqlıq[8] yaranıb[9].
Donald Trump signed the executive action [that put into law] the travel ban on January the 25th, and afterwards turmoil[8] sprang up[9] in US and world airports.
8. qarışıqlıq | قاریشیقلق turmoil
9. yaranmaq | یارانمق to organize, spring up, be created

3. Brüsseldə İlham Əliyevlə danışıqlardan əvvəl jurnalistlərlə görüşən Avropa Komissiyasının prezidenti Jean-Claude Juncker günün "gözəl hissəsinin" başa çatdığını[10] deyib.
3. European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker talking to journalists after conversations with Ilham Aliyev in Brussels said that the "good vibe" of the day had come to a halt[10].
10. başa çatmaq | باشه چاتمق to culminate, conclude, end, expire

"Mən indi Azərbaycan prezidenti İlham Əliyevlə görüşəcəyəm, demək, günün gözəl hissəsi başa çatdı".
"I will now meet with president of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev, that is to say, the good vibe of the day has come to a halt."

→ Türk hərbi qüvvələri
→ Turkish armed forces

4. Türkiyə Silahlı Qüvəllərinin yaydığı[11] bəyanatda[12] bildirilir ki, Rusiya hərbi təyyarəsi Suriyanın şimalında İD-ə qarşı hərbi əməliyyatda iştirak edən türk əsgərlərinə təsadüfən[13] etdiyi hücum nəticəsində 3 əsgər həyatını itirib və 11 əsgər yaralanıb[14].
4. It is made known in a statement[12] issued[11] by the Turkish Armed Forces that 3 soldiers have lost their lives and 11 soldiers have been wounded[14] as a result of a Russian military plane that mistakenly[13] attacked Turkish soldiers who were taking part in military operations against ISIL in northern Syria.
11. yaymaq | یایمق to diffuse, preach, disseminate, issue
12. bəyanat | بیانات proclamation, affirmation, proposition, statement, profession, declaration
13. təsadüfən | تصادفًا inadvertently, perchance, accidentally
14. yaralanmaq | یارالانمق to be wounded

Rusiya prezidenti Vladimir Putin türkiyəli həmkarı Recep Tayyip Erdoğana zəng edərək hadisəyə görə başsağlığı verib.
Russian president Vladimir Putin gave his condolences about the event on a phone call to Turkish colleague Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

→ Nəhayət[15] dincəlmək olar!
→ Relaxing at last[15]!
15. nəhayət | نهایت at last, finally, in conclusion, at the end, eventually

5. ABŞ-ın sabiq[16] prezidenti Barack Obama vəzifəsini[17] tərk etdikdən sonra ilk tətilini britaniyalı milyarder[18] Richard Branson-un Kariblərdəki şəxsi adasında keçirib.
5. Former[16] US president Barack Obama has gone on his first vacation after leaving office on British millionaire[18] Richard Branson's private island in the Carribean[17].
16. sabiq | سابق former
17. vəzifə | وظیفه errand, engagement, office, duty, workload, responsibility
18. milyarder | میلیاردیر billionaire, multimillionaire
Last edited by Michael on 2017-02-12, 8:22, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”